Player Discussion Korpisalo (5 years/20M)

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Was the entire season already lost?

When DJS was let go there were 57 games left for the Senators to play. And they were about 12 points out of a playoff spot, with anywhere between 4 or 6 games in hand on the teams in the wildcard spots, or teams just a point out of a spot.

I suggest that with right decision the Senators could have at the least, be competing for a wildcard spot today, if the season wasn’t written off in managements and apparently it seems J Martins’ mind, if I’m hearing you right?

Did I believe making the playoffs were achievable, back in December, when DJS was fired?
No I did not, as the odds were not on the Senators side, but I sure thought they could at least be much closer today, than they are…. If they had hired someone like Berube.

Standing on December 19th
View attachment 841248
Mathematically, no, but we were already 8 or 9 points back from where we needed to be to make the playoffs, we'd have had to play at a 106 pts pace to finish the season and hit 94-95 pts so play like a top 10 team in the league. Historically a very uncommon thing to do at that stage.

In the end, you can't overcome the goaltending we've gotten just by changing coaching, whether it's DJ coaching, Martin or Scotty Bowman. When StL did it with Berube, it was on the back of Binnington coming in and providing a significant boost with his .927 sv% over Jake Allen's .905, EDM this year dumped Campbell and his .879 sv% to help spur their run.

The season was lost barring a miracle run.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
EDM this year dumped Campbell and his .879 sv% to help spur their run.

It helped in the sense that waiving him and changing the coach was a wake up call to the team but it's not like they were getting better results with Skinner at the time. The goalies were an easy target but the team played horribly infront of them. Dumping Campbell didn't help Skinner go from a .856 sv% in his first 7 appearances to .913 SV% in the next 44 games, its not why Pickard has a .913 SV% as his replacement either.

Reactions: Sens in Process

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
buy out makes zero sense for Korpi

trade him with retention and you only suffer the cap hit for 4 years

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
50% retention for 4 years, which would presumably be required, plus the cost to dump the remainder, isn't nothing either though.
I am sure you can trade him for 1.3-1.5mill retained which means his cap hit would be 2.5-2.7mill for a 1b or backup goalie

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I am sure you can trade him for 1.3-1.5mill retained which means his cap hit would be 2.5-2.7mill for a 1b or backup goalie
That's not something I can believe to be true, especially with 4 years of that left, but fair response.

I was thinking 50% required, but then we could probably move what's left with something as little as a 2nd or 3rd attached.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
We need Kyle Dubas or a like-minded GM to step up. We move the Korpse with $1.5 m retained with a 3rd and 7th, or something along those lines. I have no idea what will happen, or if this is possible, but we can hope.

If we solve our biggest problem (goaltending), we should see a significant boost in the standings, although most people expected modest improvement in that poll which seemed a little surprising or inconsistent.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
50% retention for 4 years, which would presumably be required, plus the cost to dump the remainder, isn't nothing either though.

Actually, Korpisalo at 2.0 AAV might not be seen as bad option for some teams, might not cost anything to dump the remaining part.

Or would we be comfortable to have him as our backup at 2.0 AAV if we had a relateively solid starter? Problem is term, Sogaard (and/or Merilainen need a path)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That roster doesn’t scream “playoffs” to me.

Wanted to add that we have 4 guys in the Top-70 in ES forwards scoring

Stutzle 17th
Tkachuk 36th
Giroux 44th
Batherson 69th

The "average team" would have 4 guys in the Top-128

Even Joseph is 99th (Tarasenko was also in the Top-100 before being traded). Pinto has 16 of his 21 Pts at ES (in 29 GP), him and/or Greig could replace Tarasenko's production easily and compensate if Giroux ES production declines.

If coaching, goaltending and the PP weren't such huge problems this season, we'd be seen as a much better team, without the proposed improvements (clone a Joseph, a Zub and fix the goaltending and coaching)

Fixing the coaching, goaltending and PP would be my 3 priorities

Reactions: Ice-Tray and DrEasy

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
you can only get ~1.15 m in cap relief by waiving a player, if their cap hit exceeds that amount the portion above stays with the team as dead cap.

alien abductions then?. Can’t pay him if he doesn’t show up.

Maybe Sens summer training ritual could get him long distance running and because the earth is flat he could fall off into outer space?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Korpy isn’t going anywhere next year, he’s here for another year, and then a decision will be made, depending how he does.
I think Forsberg will be gone though.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Actually, Korpisalo at 2.0 AAV might not be seen as bad option for some teams, might not cost anything to dump the remaining part.

Or would we be comfortable to have him as our backup at 2.0 AAV if we had a relateively solid starter? Problem is term, Sogaard (and/or Merilainen need a path)
I'll be surprised if that's the case, but certainly could be wrong. I guess I just don't see any market for what amounts to basically the league worst tender with a decent amount of games played.

I'm not comfortable, nor optimistic, but I've been wrong before. I'm still scratching my head how he ever got this contract in the first place. His career does not support it imo.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Korpisalo’s $2 m plus White’s $875 k to 2026-27 is something ($2.875 m) though. Next year we get a $625 k credit though.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Wanted to add that we have 4 guys in the Top-70 in ES forwards scoring

Stutzle 17th
Tkachuk 36th
Giroux 44th
Batherson 69th

The "average team" would have 4 guys in the Top-128

Even Joseph is 99th (Tarasenko was also in the Top-100 before being traded). Pinto has 16 of his 21 Pts at ES (in 29 GP), him and/or Greig could replace Tarasenko's production easily and compensate if Giroux ES production declines.

If coaching, goaltending and the PP weren't such huge problems this season, we'd be seen as a much better team, without the proposed improvements (clone a Joseph, a Zub and fix the goaltending and coaching)

Fixing the coaching, goaltending and PP would be my 3 priorities
Weren't you awhile back regularly commenting on how much better we've been since the coaching change?

The Goals Against and PP are both worse since the coaching change. They weren't good before but they've gotten worse.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Weren't you awhile back regularly commenting on how much better we've been since the coaching change?

The Goals Against and PP are both worse since the coaching change. They weren't good before but they've gotten worse.

Part of the problem is we give up a ton of low chance shots and our goalies are terrible at stopping the easy shot.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Part of the problem is we give up a ton of low chance shots and our goalies are terrible at stopping the easy shot.

You know, in a twisted way, that almost means the issue is fixable. You don't make it to the NHL if you can't stop the easy ones.

So the $64k question is...what went wrong?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

The team is 27th in HDSA/60 and 16th in LDSA/60 in 5v5 situations.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
we carry play only to get a ton of empty calorie shots and then proceed to have a catastrophic defensive breakdown which results in a grade AAA chance against.

and then everyone blames the goalie lol.

Reactions: Dionysus

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I'll be surprised if that's the case, but certainly could be wrong. I guess I just don't see any market for what amounts to basically the league worst tender with a decent amount of games played.

I'm not comfortable, nor optimistic, but I've been wrong before. I'm still scratching my head how he ever got this contract in the first place. His career does not support it imo.
While there is a concern I think a lot of GM will look one year and see the resume of a player. Especially a player coming from this team.

Can Ottawa swing a deal for Gibson which includes Korpi?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad