Player Discussion Korpisalo (5 years/20M)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That roster doesn’t scream “playoffs” to me.

Well, if we're going to get any good, it mostly lies on Stutzle, Sanderson and Tkachuk to lead this team and be elite players.

Chabot, Batherson and Norris (if/when healthy) can support them well as they are high end players. Giroux too even though he's getting older.

Zub, Pinto, Greig, Joseph are all good/great pieces as well to build a winning team.

Brannstrom, Crookshank, Ostapchuk and JBD can all be quality pieces at the bottom of your lineup

Then there is Kleven, Sogaard, Jarventie and few other prospects to keep an eye on.

Basically

xxxxxx - Stutzle - Batherson
Tkachuk - Pinto - xxxxxx
Joseph - Greig - Giroux
Crookshank - Ostapchuk - Kastelic
Kelly

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - xxxxxx
Brannstrom - JBD
Guenette

xxxxxx
xxxxxx

If you can really fix goaltending, find a good RHD (DeMelo? Roy? Pesce?) and two good 2-way Top-9 wingers, the roster looks more optimal for winning games more consistently

Since mid January (so after a 3 weeks adjustment period), Sens have had some of the best team metrics in the league, with extremely poor goaltending deflating the team. Even th3 3 recent losses, all happened in the 3rd period but they were neck to neck with pretty good teams for 2 periods. With the right coaching staff and goaltending FROM THE START (training camp), I think they could be a playoffs team easily. I mean, they are as of now better on paper than many teams who made the playoffs in the past. Look at the Caps or Red Wings for example, do they have a better roster? Ben Chiarot and Shayne Gostisbehere have the 3rd and 4th most TOI among the Wings D-men for example... J.T. Compher and Andrew Copp receive Top-6 TOI...

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Reactions: Alex1234

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021

Taking a look at this, it makes you wonder. What is interesting and surprising is:

* Dallas 4th worst according to these stats, yet the Stars are 3rd in the Western Conference, 7th (league) overall. Oettinger with a .897

* Erson with .898 yet Flyers are 6th in the Eastern Conference

* Vasilevskiy with .897, Tampa is 7th in the Eastern Conference

* Keumper with a .888, Washington is 9th in the Eastern Conference.

For reference, Korpisalo is .888

Last edited:
Reactions: Weltschmerz

dingbatz

Apr 20, 2013
Taking a look at this, it makes you wonder. What is interesting and surprising is:

* Dallas 4th worst according to these stats, yet the Stars are 3rd in the Western Conference, 7th (league) overall. Oettinger with a .897

With Dallas and Tampa, they seem to be able to outscore their goaltending woes - they're both top-5 in the league in goals-for. Kuemper has started fewer games for Washington than Lindgren who statistically appears to be having a strong year. Philadelphia's playoff position is tenuous with 81 points. What's important to note is how egregiously bad our goaltending has been in comparison to other struggling tandems. The chart seems to indicate that the difference between 32nd and 31st is about equal to the difference between 31st and ~10th.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

So, it's a team level thing, not just the starter.

Ersson is at .898 but Hart played 26 games at .906, Keumper at .888 is more than offset by Lindgren's 38 games at .909

Average sv% this year is just over .900, I think it's currently sitting at .903. If you're with 5 pts of average your probably fine.

Lighting and Dal are the only ones I would say are outright overcoming their poor goaltending but even then, the graph suggests they have cost them each 7 goals approximately while we're in the 30s

Reactions: Alex1234

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
With Dallas and Tampa, they seem to be able to outscore their goaltending woes - they're both top-5 in the league in goals-for. Kuemper has started fewer games for Washington than Lindgren who statistically appears to be having a strong year. Philadelphia's playoff position is tenuous with 81 points. What's important to note is how egregiously bad our goaltending has been in comparison to other struggling tandems. The chart seems to indicate that the difference between 32nd and 31st is about equal to the difference between 31st and ~10th.
Yes, how you win is less important than winning.
So, it's a team level thing, not just the starter.

Ersson is at .898 but Hart played 26 games at .906, Keumper at .888 is more than offset by Lindgren's 38 games at .909

Average sv% this year is just over .900, I think it's currently sitting at .903. If you're with 5 pts of average your probably fine.

Lighting and Dal are the only ones I would say are outright overcoming their poor goaltending but even then, the graph suggests they have cost them each 7 goals approximately while we're in the 30s
I was surprised by how many sub .900 goalies there were. But, the wins were quite high for the goalies I listed (exclude Ersson) e.g., 26, 27

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Ottawa last in team save percentage.
What was the one stat they showed a few games back, when Ottawa gets 900 save percentage, 19-3 record or something.
Last playoff spot has 903.
17th is 900.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes, how you win is less important that winning.

I was surprised by how many sub .900 goalies there were. But, the wins were quite high for the goalies I listed (exclude Ersson) e.g., 26, 27
Well Keumper is 13-13-3, basically the same as Forsberg, and Vasilevski has a nearly 2 pt per game winger on his team.

Sub 900 isn't what it used to be though, like I said, .903 is league average which suggests half the goalies should be below that. .897 or what not isn't great but it's not a season ender by any stretch.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Ottawa last in team save percentage.
What was the one stat they showed a few games back, when Ottawa gets 900 save percentage, 19-3 record or something.
Last playoff spot has 903.
17th is 900.
Sure, & thanks I guess, but back to the topic, it's interesting that Oettinger with .897 & Dallas 3rd in conference, 7th overall.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Well Keumper is 13-13-3, basically the same as Forsberg, and Vasilevski has a nearly 2 pt per game winger on his team.

Sub 900 isn't what it used to be though, like I said, .903 is league average which suggests half the goalies should be below that. .897 or what not isn't great but it's not a season ender by any stretch.
Yes, scoring is important as is winning despite how you do it i.e., winning with a .897 starting goalie. Goalie wins seems important too.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Sure, & thanks I guess, but back to the topic, it's interesting that Oettinger with .897 & Dallas 3rd in conference, 7th overall.
Yep Dallas second in NHL in goals for, 19th in save percentage, 14th in goals against.
Fifth in gf/ga differential

dingbatz

Apr 20, 2013
Yes, how you win is less important that winning.
I would argue that our goaltending deficit is too significant for a team to outscore, and even if it could, I'm not sure you would want to build a team that way. All I would like is for them to be average. Chicago's my favourite example. It shows that you can get competent goaltending even if your team is arguably the worst in the league. If we were getting Mrazek's numbers this year, I think we would be right in the mix with teams like Philadelphia and Tampa.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Yep Dallas second in NHL in goals for, 19th in save percentage, 14th in goals against.
Fifth in gf/ga differential
Yes, an incomplete list (I got tired) of teams with better save percentage yet lower in standings includes: Coyotes, Islanders, Red Wings, Flames, Blues, Sabres, Penguins, etc.

I guess there’s other things that go into winning.

I would argue that our goaltending deficit is too significant for a team to outscore, and even if it could, I'm not sure you would want to build a team that way. All I would like is for them to be average. Chicago's my favourite example. It shows that you can get competent goaltending even if your team is arguably the worst in the league. If we were getting Mrazek's numbers this year, I think we would be right in the mix with teams like Philadelphia and Tampa.
Just to be clear, we all want to win more and love to have better goaltending. But, I suppose the stats do also tell us that there are number of things that contribute to winning & success.

dingbatz

Apr 20, 2013
Just to be clear, we all want to win more and love to have better goaltending. But, I suppose the stats do also tell us that there are number of things that contribute to winning & success.
Of course. I'll reiterate that the difference in goaltending between 32nd and 31st is about equal to 31st and 10th. It's not that it's bad, it's that it's exceptionally bad. I think it's the most pressing issue.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes, an incomplete list (I got tired) of teams with better save percentage yet lower in standings includes: Coyotes, Islanders, Red Wings, Flames, Blues, Sabres, Penguins, etc.

I guess there’s other things that go into winning.
Is this an attempt at a gotcha? I mean, of course goaltending isn't the only thing that goes into success, nobody has ever suggested otherwise. The question, at least as it relates to Ottawa, is how bad can goaltending be and still reasonably be overcome.

Could you give the best teams in the NHL the worst goaltending and still expect them to make the playoffs? I think it would be pretty tight to be honest, and that's without considering the impact confidence in you goaltending has in other elements of how you play.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Of course. I'll reiterate that the difference in goaltending between 32nd and 31st is about equal to 31st and 10th. It's not that it's bad, it's that it's exceptionally bad. I think it's the most pressing issue.
There’s a number of things this team needs to do if we want to be successful. I suppose it's relevant to define “success” and there could be some differences there as well.

I’d wonder about how much improvement we’d get with better coaching and team D? I’m not prescribing this as the ideal solution. But, when I looked at that chart that was first posted, I noticed that Dallas stood out. I just wondered if there was going to be some exceptions to the thinking, and other ways of going about it, and there it was. Could we have some success with approximately median level goaltending as Dallas seems to have done (Stars are not in the top 50% even)? That seemed like a question that was worth considering & asking.

I’m hoping that we find another goaltender and somehow manage to get rid of one of current ones. I suppose there’s the cost and possible deleterious effects or costs of getting rid of one of them, both in terms of assets lost, or cap implications. Its a balancing act as there is only so much cap space available and a number of different objectives or needs. Staois has some work to do and I think his job won’t be easy. I’d wonder if ending up with the same goaltenders or even just with Korpisalo was possible. Hope for the best I suppose.

Last edited:
Reactions: dingbatz

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
The timing of the subpar goaltending is also in the mix
All those first 5 min GA are crushing our soul with a behemoth caterpillar
We are ALWAYS chasing the game its crazy

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Not surprising in the least.
I don't know what to make of charts like this.

When DJ was here, thru the fall I was saying you can't win with this goaltending

A more common view was the structure (lack of) was creating the goals against and the goaltending would rebound.

It hasn't rebounded at all. We're still getting lousy goaltending most nights. We're probably an average team defensively that gives up too many goals that we shouldn't.

And compared to our fellow Atlantic bottom feeders, looking at that chart I'd say that if you gave us the goaltending that Montreal, Detroit or Buffalo is getting, we're in. What does that say for the different rebuilds

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't know what to make of charts like this.

When DJ was here, thru the fall I was saying you can't win with this goaltending

A more common view was the structure (lack of) was creating the goals against and the goaltending would rebound.

It hasn't rebounded at all. We're still getting lousy goaltending most nights. We're probably an average team defensively that gives up too many goals that we shouldn't.

And compared to our fellow Atlantic bottom feeders, looking at that chart I'd say that if you gave us the goaltending that Montreal, Detroit or Buffalo is getting, we're in. What does that say for the different rebuilds
We're an interesting team in terms of our defensive play imo because the only thing we are consistent at seems to be being inconsistent.

We have periods like the second against Boston and the third last night against EDM where we hand in with the best teams in the league and keep the chances to a minimum but the we also have the complete lapses where we look outclassed in every way.

I feel like under DJ the attention to detail wasn't as good, and under Martin the effort level is less consistent (might be due to the season already being lost for his entire tenure).

Goaltending has been frustrating because of the bad goals, not because they don't cover up for our mistakes. Similarly this team has been frustrating not because of the loses to elite teams but because of the flat outings against beatable opponents. We have a better record against Tor, EDM, NYR, Dal, and TbL than we do against Arz, Chi, StL and Ana, 0 pts out of 14 available to those 4 teams even with our terrible goaltending is unacceptable.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I feel like under DJ the attention to detail wasn't as good, and under Martin the effort level is less consistent (might be due to the season already being lost for his entire tenure).

Was the entire season already lost?

When DJS was let go there were 57 games left for the Senators to play. And they were about 12 points out of a playoff spot, with anywhere between 4 or 6 games in hand on the teams in the wildcard spots, or teams just a point out of a spot.

I suggest that with right decision the Senators could have at the least, be competing for a wildcard spot today, if the season wasn’t written off in managements and apparently it seems J Martins’ mind, if I’m hearing you right?

Did I believe making the playoffs were achievable, back in December, when DJS was fired?
No I did not, as the odds were not on the Senators side, but I sure thought they could at least be much closer today, than they are…. If they had hired someone like Berube.

Standing on December 19th
1711371848539.png

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Korpisalo has had a couple of good games. I hope Briere is watching so he can reunite him with Torts this summer. Korpisalo had his best season under Torts and I'll take a 7th.

• Haha
Reactions: Alex1234 and Sting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad