Korea 2018

IIHFjerseycollector

Feb 2, 2005
Sturgis SD
I don't know a single thing about Korean hockey, is it remotely possible for them to field a team as good as say Italy was in Turin 2006?

no, but they might get sorta close.. this upcoming world championship Div 1A that they're hosting will tell a lot about how they might look a few years down the road. They are playing against Austria, Slovenia ( both these teams qualified for the Olympics this year),Hungary, Japan, Ukraine. Most of these teams have been elevator teams at some point. So this tournament will give a good indication of how much more work will be required to be competitive in the years to come

heres a little article on the iihf website about how they are trying to be competitive and build the program quickly enough
http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/news/archive.html
its titled BUILDING A COMPETITOR . I tried to link it directly but had trouble for some reason and it wouldnt work as a direct link..

ficohok*

They better get some dual-nati if they don't wanna get destroyed in every game.

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
this year they founded a military team. their 3rd team in asia league. so the domestic players don´t have too make a 2 year brake in their hockey career.

maybe for 2017/18 a korean team could join KHL. it would be good opportunity to bring the NT in form and the arena would get a meaning after olympics.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
They're definitely trying to fast-track their hockey development, and I think they're doing a lot of things right. It's important to see where they're coming from, because when you look at them now and think "div 1a, never been in the top division either", it certainly makes them look like they'll get destroyed.

In the past few years, they've been pushing to get a team into Mestis, a Finnish league under their top tier. This year they almost succeeded, but it eventually fell through. They did manage to get several players onto a Mestis team, which will certainly help their development.

They gave the AIHL's top player (Broke Radunske) citizenship, making him the only guy not Korean-born on the team. There are several other Canadians/Americans tearing up their league that could probably help them in D1A, so maybe they should look at any of them that qualify, and see if they're interested in becoming Korean.

Lastly, the above article linked talks about how they've brought in a military team allowing their best players to circumvent that military rule about having to serve for a couple years, effectively allowing good players who would have to likely end their careers instead continue playing.

So will this be enough to compete? That's not really the right question. Of course it won't be, and they'll get massacred in the games against the better Olympic teams and easily beaten by the rest. I think the right question is can they get a foothold by then, much like Latvia, Denmark, Belarus or Austria, where they generally play in the top division at the World Championships. They have a chance to do that April 2014, at the D1A tourney. If they can do that it'd be a huge win. A more realistic victory would be a good showing, and not getting relegated to D1B.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Is Korea really going to get a free spot? Okay....well I guess they have plenty of time to collect Canadians.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
As far as I know Korea will only get direct spot if they are able to improve to the Top-18 of the world ranking.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
As far as I know Korea will only get direct spot if they are able to improve to the Top-18 of the world ranking.

I think they got a big chance of doing that. They're 25th now (28th the year before). As far as I've understood it correctly, they improve their hockey quickly aswell! :handclap:

Arrhizal

May 4, 2012
Slovenia
I'll reserve my opinion of their hockey team after this years WC where they'll get a taste of the teams they need to beat to be 18th. But I think the only way they get to 18 is by adding a boat load of Canadians. It's a travesty they're even allowed, or should I say that they're not ashamed, to add people that have 0 connection to SK to their roster.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I think they got a big chance of doing that. They're 25th now (28th the year before). As far as I've understood it correctly, they improve their hockey quickly aswell! :handclap:

Similar to Swedens improvement in track n field running.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010

I don't think that this chance is huge, Italy, who is 18th, has more than 500 points in spare in the ranking. Korea would need to be constantly in the top-2 of the first division (or gain promotion to the ihwc) to get there. This is a far way to go. If they get relegated this year (which is possible) it's over I think.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
There was no ranking back in 1998. If there was one, maybe Japan would have been top 18 as it was before teams like Ukraine or Kazakhstan managed to get out of the bottom pool.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
I don't think that this chance is huge, Italy, who is 18th, has more than 500 points in spare in the ranking. Korea would need to be constantly in the top-2 of the first division (or gain promotion to the ihwc) to get there. This is a far way to go. If they get relegated this year (which is possible) it's over I think.

Keep in mind that Korea has 0 ranking points from the 2010 Olympics because they didn't compete in qualifying

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
Keep in mind that Korea has 0 ranking points from the 2010 Olympics because they didn't compete in qualifying

the points for Olympics 2018 will be calculated with the points of:
OG14(25%); WC14(25%); WC15(50%); WC16(75%) and WC17(100%)

the only points which already count are the result of 2014 OGQ. that mean:
13th: Kazakhstan -220
14th: Belarus - 215
15th: Germany - 210
16th: Italy - 205
17th: France - 200
18th: Denmark - 195
19th: UK - 190
20th: Netherlands - 185
21st: Ukraine - 180
22nd: Hungary - 175
23rd: Poland - 170
24th: Korea - 165
25th: Japan - 160

but is there any official source about this Top-18 rule? A tournament without the host is a bit strange for me.

IceBlacks

Dec 17, 2013
<-- American Born Korean.

Wonder if I can try out if they allow dual citizenship lol

I've talked with the Korean federation's general secretary and he said they try to keep the amount of foreigners as low as possible. I know you're joking but they are not big fans of having half of the roster made of Canadians :)

For women's team they try to get many players with Korean heritage from North America but for men's team he said there are not many such players. Now there are three Canadian guys eligible for Korean NT and they all are naturalisized and familiar with Korean culture and way of living.

I have a strong feeling they might be looking for a foreign goalie for the Olympics because that's their main weakness for sure. I highly doubt if they are able to develop their own goalies to level required for the Olympics. Now they are not good enough even for Finnish 2nd tier. :shakehead S***load of work still to be done but I hope the best.

Ivan94: The same guy who I've spoke with and many other people involved with the Korean NT said they must reach the 18th position of the ranking.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I've talked with the Korean federation's general secretary and he said they try to keep the amount of foreigners as low as possible. I know you're joking but they are not big fans of having half of the roster made of Canadians :)

For women's team they try to get many players with Korean heritage from North America but for men's team he said there are not many such players. Now there are three Canadian guys eligible for Korean NT and they all are naturalisized and familiar with Korean culture and way of living.

I have a strong feeling they might be looking for a foreign goalie for the Olympics because that's their main weakness for sure. I highly doubt if they are able to develop their own goalies to level required for the Olympics. Now they are not good enough even for Finnish 2nd tier. :shakehead S***load of work still to be done but I hope the best.

Ivan94: The same guy who I've spoke with and many other people involved with the Korean NT said they must reach the 18th position of the ranking.
Oh, boy. If they're not good enough for Mestis, there's no way they can get to the 18th place in the World Rankings. The Italian (ranked #18) domestic league can be compared to Mestis in strength. :laugh: No way they're making that big of a jump. Essentially they have to promote to the Elite division at some point for that to happen, preferrably winning a couple of matches.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
I'll reserve my opinion of their hockey team after this years WC where they'll get a taste of the teams they need to beat to be 18th. But I think the only way they get to 18 is by adding a boat load of Canadians. It's a travesty they're even allowed, or should I say that they're not ashamed, to add people that have 0 connection to SK to their roster.

I don't think they have anyone like that? You could argue their one white Canadian player (Brock Radunske), but he's been playing there forever and has duel citizenship. I wouldn't say he's got 0 connection to SK and even if you disagree, there aren't any others on their roster that aren't Korean-born, AFAIK.

This WHC will be huge for them. If they can avoid being relegated, they'll be in a fair position to move up next year. They won't be this time, but their group will get easier in 2015.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
If they can avoid being relegated, they'll be in a fair position to move up next year. They won't be this time, but their group will get easier in 2015.
Nope. They have to beat teams like Austria, Kazakhstan, Italy, Slovenia in the tournament to promote to the Elite division.

That would be one of the biggest upsets in recent history if they promoted. The difference in quality between those teams is like between the 2nd tier teams (Latvia/Norway/etc.) and the title contenders in the Elite division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad