Korea 2018

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Nope. They have to beat teams like Austria, Kazakhstan, Italy, Slovenia in the tournament to promote to the Elite division.

That would be one of the biggest upsets in recent history if they promoted. The difference in quality between those teams is like between the 2nd tier teams (Latvia/Norway/etc.) and the title contenders in the Elite division.

Austria and Slovenia will get promoted from Div 1 this year and Italy with probably Kazakhstan will go down. I'd say, overall, that Italy and Kazakhstan will be easier to beat. Not saying it's easy but it's easier than going by Austria and Slovenia this time around, I feel.

IIHFjerseycollector

Feb 2, 2005
Sturgis SD
Austria and Slovenia will get promoted from Div 1 this year and Italy with probably Kazakhstan will go down. I'd say, overall, that Italy and Kazakhstan will be easier to beat. Not saying it's easy but it's easier than going by Austria and Slovenia this time around, I feel.

why because they made the olympics?

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Well, I guess it will be easier for Latvia to beat Sweden than Canada. So it's great that they ended up in our group in Sochi. :)

It doesn't matter who they're playing against, they're going to be the absolute underdogs in every game.

Also, Slovenia is probably the weakest of the bunch.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Well, I guess it will be easier for Latvia to beat Sweden than Canada. So it's great that they ended up in our group in Sochi. :)

It doesn't matter who they're playing against, they're going to be the absolute underdogs in every game.

Also, Slovenia is probably the weakest of the bunch.

I don't really know how good South Korea is though, just that they are getting better in terms of standings all the time. If it was a team that had been languishing in div 1a/1b for awhile (say Japan or Great Britain) then I'd agree, but since this team has been doing nothing but moving up, it's feasible that they are actually better than what their ranking is. We'll see soon enough, either way!

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
I'm betting they'll relax the rules come 2018. It would be bizarre and a bit of a fiasco if the host wasn't included - embarrassing, almost. I mean, Japan had a team and they aren't really much better than Korea - at least it isn't something like Iceland fielding a team for the Olympics, SK has a half-decent, playable team. I think this would go for pretty much any sport. GB had a team for basketball in 2012 and they were far, far down the rankings (ranked somewhere in the 20s as well) and lost all but one game. Qatar is in the 2022 World Cup and that team is going to get absolutely wrecked in any group. Not to mention how lopsided games in the women's Olympics ice hockey program is.

SK will have a team there, I'm willing to venture that that is more likely than NHL participation in 2018.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
It will be even more embarrassing to see a half Canadian, "South Korea" in the olympics, imo.

The Koreans can focus on short track, about the only winter sport they're good at.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I'm betting they'll relax the rules come 2018. It would be bizarre and a bit of a fiasco if the host wasn't included - embarrassing, almost. I mean, Japan had a team and they aren't really much better than Korea - at least it isn't something like Iceland fielding a team for the Olympics, SK has a half-decent, playable team. I think this would go for pretty much any sport. GB had a team for basketball in 2012 and they were far, far down the rankings (ranked somewhere in the 20s as well) and lost all but one game. Qatar is in the 2022 World Cup and that team is going to get absolutely wrecked in any group. Not to mention how lopsided games in the women's Olympics ice hockey program is.

SK will have a team there, I'm willing to venture that that is more likely than NHL participation in 2018.
Great Britain has a decent basketball team. It's just that their top talent wasn't usually playing with the national team before the Olympic Games.

Japan was better in 1998 relative to all the other teams when compared to SK at this point and time. Furthermore, the format of the tournament was different in Nagano and they only played in a qualification round against 2nd tier teams.

Qatar is a disgrace and should never be brought up as an example. Furthermore, it is very likely that they'll naturalize a bunch of foreign-born players. They've already started doing that.

nicholas421

Jan 17, 2011
I'm in Korea right now on a business trip. No one I've spoken with even realizes ice hockey is an available sport here. It's a shame because there isn't a shortage of rinks due to the popularity in figure and speed skating.

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
They will get an automatic spot in the olympics. Its the perk of being in it as a country. Like USA handball team was during olympics in Atlanta when they never really play anywhere.

There is more news though. In an article it was said KHL wants to sponsor a new asian league. something like VHL division Asia, where there will be 2 russian 2 chinese 2 korean and 2 japanese clubs. Its ment mostly to help develope and put hockey on a map in China and try to professionalize it, due to countries getting politicaly closer to each other, but also give it a boost in Japan and develop it more in South Korea. End result being haveing a KHL division Asia. those are huge markets they want. And those countries, S. Korea included, would get a great boost to their hockey program and player development. It sounded like it would run along with the asian league, not instead of it, but its just guessing.
It doesnt say what clubs though. but sounded more they would make new clubs or develop some (semi) amateur ones .

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20140425001090

What I've seen the IIHF want Korea to be at least at nation-rank #18 before the tournament, and right now it is almost impossible mathematically. Dont know if they (IIHF) can be talked out of that statement or not, but right now it look like South Korea will have to go through the usual qualification tournaments (and beat every team they face there more or less).

But if one of you guys have a good source for your claim, then please go ahead and post it.

ultra7k

Jul 14, 2009
Kind of off topic, but still pertains to hockey in Korea.

When I was in Korea in February (Canadian born Korean here) they had an "event" set up outside the Lotte Department store in downtown Seoul.

Anyways, the event was shoot to score on the shooter tutor (five hole was about as wide open as you could get) if you had made a purchase at the department store and win a prize. I was with my fiancee, who has never seen me play before of course I'm not going to just sweep the ball into the net. I'm taking this seriously! I play hockey, I'm not going to curl the ball into the net....

So I snap a shot with the crappy school style plastic sticks (after bending the blade of course) and the guy there has the gall to tell me how to shoot. He sort of swept the ball into the net. I get it, you've never seen hockey before, but if I want to go 7 hole, that's my choice.

That being said, hockey is slowly starting to get more exposure in Korea. High Kick 3 had Lee Jong Suk play hockey, and now there is a new drama coming out starring Seo In Guk called High School King that centers around him being a high school hockey star. Hopefully the hockey has come a long ways since 1998's Icing hehe.

Also, when they had ice skating outside city hall, I saw more than a few kids in hockey skates (mostly CCM/RBK for whatever reason) that skated like they played hockey.

Let's see if hockey in the popular media can get some kids playing hockey there. It'll likely be too late for 2018, but maybe that'll put some kids in the system for future generations.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20140425001090

What I've seen the IIHF want Korea to be at least at nation-rank #18 before the tournament, and right now it is almost impossible mathematically. Dont know if they (IIHF) can be talked out of that statement or not, but right now it look like South Korea will have to go through the usual qualification tournaments (and beat every team they face there more or less).

But if one of you guys have a good source for your claim, then please go ahead and post it.

I've read comments that if they don't consider their team at adequate level, they won't enter a hockey team into the tournament. They'd have to at least get a visit in the top division World Championships before the Olympics and it's not looking very likely.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
I've read comments that if they don't consider their team at adequate level, they won't enter a hockey team into the tournament. They'd have to at least get a visit in the top division World Championships before the Olympics and it's not looking very likely.

Too bad. It would be nice to see a different team at the Olympics for a change. At Nagano 98 Japan was 0-2-1 and actually tied Belarus which is very good! I don't know if Korea is as good as Japan but still.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Probably a good move for both. He'll get head coaching experience and they'll get a coach who has played in the NHL and been an assistant coach in the AHL, working with future NHLers. Too bad it sounds like his Korean is kind of meh. It'll be interesting to see what he can do over this year, and if Korea can really make an impact in D1B and get them back on deck in D1A.

IIHFjerseycollector

Feb 2, 2005
Sturgis SD
Probably a good move for both. He'll get head coaching experience and they'll get a coach who has played in the NHL and been an assistant coach in the AHL, working with future NHLers. Too bad it sounds like his Korean is kind of meh. It'll be interesting to see what he can do over this year, and if Korea can really make an impact in D1B and get them back on deck in D1A.

Korea NEEDS to win D1B or I think the door is very close to getting shut on the dream. If they maintain a presence at the DIV1A level they got a shot. Their goaltending just stinks...

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
Yeah. Japan didn't do too badly in Nagano 98.

Korea will be in the weak division like Japan was and you just don't want them to get blown out 10-0 or something.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Yeah. Japan didn't do too badly in Nagano 98.

Korea will be in the weak division like Japan was and you just don't want them to get blown out 10-0 or something.

Japan did ok, but the toughest team they faced was Belarus. Neither Germany or France were the teams they are today.

Ub the Bub

Feb 9, 2010
Korea won't have to "make" the 2018 Olympics though, as the host country they get a free spot.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Seems they have abandoned the Kiekko-Vantaa project. No Korean players in sight and rumors of the Korean owners putting their shares up for sale.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Korea won't have to "make" the 2018 Olympics though, as the host country they get a free spot.

Well reports have said otherwise, so feel free to post a source for this.

Look I think they don't HAVE to make it to 18th (which I think is more or less impossible) on the rankings or whatever as IIHF has been saying before, I'm pretty sure there will be talks about it.

IF the Koreans somehow can play a decent level (highly doubt, it but you never know), they might get in.

I think the gap between the France, Slovenia and Germany level and Korea is bigger than what Japan faced in 1998. There is a good chance they just make a fool of themselves if they're not at least decently ready for this. Korea will have to convert more Canadians...

Last edited:

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
Well reports have said otherwise, so feel free to post a source for this.

Look I think they don't HAVE to make it to 18th (which I think is more or less impossible) on the rankings or whatever as IIHF has been saying before, I'm pretty sure there will be talks about it.

IF the Koreans somehow can play a decent level (highly doubt, it but you never know), they might get in.

I think the gap between the France, Slovenia and Germany level and Korea is bigger than what Japan faced in 1998. There is a good chance they just make a fool of themselves if they're not at least decently ready for this. Korea will have to convert more Canadians...

Convert more Canadians?? There aren't any Korean Canadians in the NHL AFAIK. The last Korean I know of was Jim Paek and I think he was Korean American. Where are these Korean Canadians you speak of??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad