Speculation: Komarov at training camp?

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
People on here forget how much Carlyle (and Wilson for that matter) love what Steckel brings to the table. He's going to be out there as the 4th line center almost every night, guaranteed. His faceoff ability was crucial to the success of the big club before he broke his hand. He'll be counted on in the same role as last season.

McClement wasn't happy in the 4th line role he would have been playing in Colorado, which was one of the main reasons for his move to Toronto. He will be playing 3rd line minutes and on the first PK unit. Doubt we see him on the 4th unless he's being given a rest.

This

You're wasting your breath around here though.:shakehead

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I really think Carlyle's going to go with a bottom 6 of:

Kulemin - McClement - Connolly
Komarov - Steckel - Brown

There might be a few changes though depending on if Carlyle wants to roll with an enforcer in the lineup or if Kuli plays well enough to warrant being on the 2nd line (although the 3rd line would be a great shutdown line with him on it.

McClement was traded to be the 3C and Steckel played a lot under Carlyle. I'm assuming Carlyle want's a 3rd line that can be used as a shutdown line.... Kulemin - McClement - XXXX would give us the best shutdown line (Connolly impressed Carlyle with his defensive play so I thought he would most likely be put there).

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
You're probably right, and I'm guessing we see a bottom-6 of:

Frattin - McClement - Kulemin
Brown - Steckel - Komarov

on opening night.

It's not what I would do, though, and it means a number of much more talented forwards won't be in the lineup.

Replace Frattin with Connolly and you have my bottom six. Would anyone have a problem with Frattin dominating the A while we have the excess middle six wingers?

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I really think Carlyle's going to go with a bottom 6 of:

Komarov - Steckel - Brown

There might be a few changes though depending on if Carlyle wants to roll with an enforcer in the lineup or if Kuli plays well enough to warrant being on the 2nd line (although the 3rd line would be a great shutdown line with him on it.

McClement was traded to be the 3C and Steckel played a lot under Carlyle. I'm assuming Carlyle want's a 3rd line that can be used as a shutdown line.... Kulemin - McClement - XXXX would give us the best shutdown line (Connolly impressed Carlyle with his defensive play so I thought he would most likely be put there).

Haha there you go....

The nice thing being that despite Steckel's lack of speed and Connolly's lack of interest, it's a bottom six that can actually play.(not just plugs)

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
You're probably right, and I'm guessing we see a bottom-6 of:

Frattin - McClement - Kulemin
Brown - Steckel - Komarov

on opening night.

It's not what I would do, though, and it means a number of much more talented forwards won't be in the lineup.
meaning a top-6 of:

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-MacArthur

Kadri sitting out again.
not a big fan of that.

Lupul-Grabo-Kessel(primary offense)
Kulemin-Bozak-Frattin(2-way)
JVR-Kadri-Mac(secondary offense)
Komarov-McClement-Brown(defense/instigating)

Lombo gets waived. Steckel and Connolly sit.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Two things I liked from Komarov after watching him with the Marlies. He drew a penalty or two almost every game, and while he didn't stand out as a big time offensive threat, he capitalized more often than not when he did have an offensive chance. I haven't looked at the stats, but I imagine his shooting percentage was among the best on the Marlies.

(EDIT) Just checked. 6 goals on only 25 shots. That's a 24.0 shooting%. Pretty efficient.

In contrast, Kadri is at 10.9 while Matt Frattin is at 14.8%

Last edited:

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I can't wait to see Komarov in some games. I have a feeling he's going to be a lightning rod for this group. Gonna piss off a lot of people. Man, we've been missing that kind of jam for so long, I forgot what it was like.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
meaning a top-6 of:

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-MacArthur

Kadri sitting out again.
not a big fan of that.

Lupul-Grabo-Kessel(primary offense)
Kulemin-Bozak-Frattin(2-way)
JVR-Kadri-Mac(secondary offense)
Komarov-McClement-Brown(defense/instigating)

Lombo gets waived. Steckel and Connolly sit.

I think our Forward Lineup will look like this:

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Kulemin
Mac - McClement - Frattin
Komarov - Connolly - Steckel
Brown/Kadri

I agree, I think Lombardi is gone but more likely traded since depth is so important this year he'll get a return of some kind. Connolly is a deadline deal so he'll be a bottom 6 Center or winger and be slotted higher on injuries.

I think Frattin and Kadri are going to split #3 winger duties until the deadline/injuries. We'll keep one young top 6 skill guy on reserve (Kadri/Frattin) and one bottom 6 grinder. Have a pletora of D on the Marlies so no sense in carrying more than 7.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I think our Forward Lineup will look like this:

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Kulemin
Mac - McClement - Frattin
Komarov - Connolly - Steckel
Brown/Kadri

I agree, I think Lombardi is gone but more likely traded since depth is so important this year he'll get a return of some kind. Connolly is a deadline deal so he'll be a bottom 6 Center or winger and be slotted higher on injuries.

I think Frattin and Kadri are going to split #3 winger duties until the deadline/injuries. We'll keep one young top 6 skill guy on reserve (Kadri/Frattin) and one bottom 6 grinder. Have a pletora of D on the Marlies so no sense in carrying more than 7.

With a more defensive minded coach, I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing a shutdown line... Whether our 2nd or 3rd line is used for that I have no clue. If it's our 2nd line I'm imagining something like:

Kulemin - Grabo - Connolly

I'd much prefer if our 3rd line was used as a shut-down line so we could roll:

Kulemin - McClement - Connolly (maybe Lombardi or Komarov)

Giving us a much more skilled top 6 while maintaining some production from our bottom 6 (Kulemin/Connolly)

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Well, then you're bumping one of Bozak, Grabovski or Connolly out of the line-up entirely. Grabovski and Bozak won't be going anywhere, so how do you get rid of Connolly, and do you really want Steckel in over him?

Unless someone moves to the wing.

Connolly played quite a bit of RW under Carlyle last season, didn't he?

I'd actually gave McClement and Connolly on the 3rd line together. Having a righty and lefty for dras would be nice, and having two good centers would allow the first guy to cheat like crazy without worrying about getting kicked out.

If we don't make any moves, here's what my roster looks like.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
Riemsdyk - Grabovski - MacArthur
Brown - Kadri - Frattin

Ideally, I'd move MacArthur to make room for Kadri in the top-6. Also, I'd move Connolly to make room for Frattin. That would make room for Steckel and Komarov on the 4th.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Fitting lines with Komoarov are hard. But imo....

Guaranteed Spots

Lupul - ________ - Kessel
_______ - Grabovski - ________
_______ - ________ - ________

Then it's a mystery from there.

Other garunteas,
McClement will play in one of the bottom 2 C spots
JVR will be playing somewhere
Kulemin will be playing somewhere
If JVR isn't C for Lupul/Kessel it's going to be Bozak or Kadri, but at least Bozak to start

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - ________
Kulemin - McClement - ________

Now you have
Lambo, Kadri, Frattin, Connolly, Brown, Komarov, MacArthur, Steckle for the last 5 spots.

Out of that group the best C for us is Steckle.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
_______ - Steckle - ________

Lambo, Kadri, Frattin, Connolly, Brown, Komarov, MacArthur, for the last 4 spots.

Imo, at this point it could be any one of those 8 in any 4 spots.

Lambo I feel is done. Frattin isthe safest bets to be playing. Carlyle likes him.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
Kulemin - McClement - Frattin

Kadri, Connolly, Brown, Komarov, MacArthur. Kadri isn't going to be playing on the 4th line with Steckle so I guess he'll be up with Grabo. But MacA is in the same boat.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - Kadri/MacArthur

I hope Connolly is the odd one out then and we go with

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
Brown - Steckle - Komarov

But the question is, if Kadri or MacArthur aren't on the 2nd line, who goes down to the 3rd and who goes to the 4th.

ShLou Foot

6-8-5-13
Jul 3, 2011
crusoed
Would be epic is he wore 87 in the NHL.

I remember watching a interview with him and he was asked by the media about him wearing 87. He responded by saying (paraphrased)
Why? What's wrong with it? It's just a number I like so I took it. You know it's not like it's 99 or something.
I loved that response, with one statement he acknowledges how honoured Gretz is and how we blow up this whole Crosby thing.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
I really like this guy, I think he has a good chance of making the Leafs Imo. A 4th line of Komarov-McClement-Brown sounds pretty fierce to me.

5'10'' 185 lbs - 6'1'' 200 lbs - 5'11'' 203 lbs

FEAR THE BIG BLUE

:leafs

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Fitting lines with Komoarov are hard. But imo....

Guaranteed Spots

Lupul - ________ - Kessel
_______ - Grabovski - ________

Then it's a mystery from there.

Other garunteas,
McClement will play in one of the bottom 2 C spots
JVR will be playing somewhere
Kulemin will be playing somewhere
If JVR isn't C for Lupul/Kessel it's going to be Bozak or Kadri, but at least Bozak to start

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel

Now you have
Lambo, Kadri, Frattin, Connolly, Brown, Komarov, MacArthur, Steckle for the last 5 spots.

Out of that group the best C for us is Steckle.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel

Lambo, Kadri, Frattin, Connolly, Brown, Komarov, MacArthur, for the last 4 spots.

Imo, at this point it could be any one of those 8 in any 4 spots.

Lambo I feel is done. Frattin isthe safest bets to be playing. Carlyle likes him.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel

Kadri, Connolly, Brown, Komarov, MacArthur. Kadri isn't going to be playing on the 4th line with Steckle so I guess he'll be up with Grabo. But MacA is in the same boat.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel

I hope Connolly is the odd one out then and we go with

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
Brown - Steckle - Komarov

But the question is, if Kadri or MacArthur aren't on the 2nd line, who goes down to the 3rd and who goes to the 4th.

I don't think Steckle or Brown's spots are assured at some point. I think Steckle might end up being put in and out of the line up depending on the matchup. His role is a bit redundant with the McClement signing...and as Carlyle said today "We need our fourth line to be able to play".

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
5'10'' 185 lbs - 6'1'' 200 lbs - 5'11'' 203 lbs

FEAR THE BIG BLUE

:leafs

I'm sure Tom Kostopolis is a bit afraid of Mike Brown.

Anyways, very excited to see Leo play for the Leafs this year. Should be on the 3rd line imo

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Replace Frattin with Connolly and you have my bottom six. Would anyone have a problem with Frattin dominating the A while we have the excess middle six wingers?

Yea I do, hes already 25 years old, he's no spring chicken. If anyone should be in the A, due to excess of players, it should be Connolly, he can finish his final year there. We need to start developing our youth, frattin, Kadri can no longer wait behind dead weight.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Glad he's back, I think he should make a good 4th liner. I'm pulling for something like this:

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
JVR - Grabo - Mac
Kulemin - Kadri - Frattin
Komarov - McClement - Brown

Waived/traded: Lombardi, Steckel, Connolly (or potentially Connolly as the #3 C instead of Kadri, if Kadri still does not look ready)

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Yea I do, hes already 25 years old, he's no spring chicken. If anyone should be in the A, due to excess of players, it should be Connolly, he can finish his final year there. We need to start developing our youth, frattin, Kadri can no longer wait behind dead weight.

Why not double his minutes though? He'll be first line 5 on 5, Pp and pk. Once the year is over and we are rid of contract s bring him up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad