Speculation: Komarov at training camp?

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Sorry if it was already posted somewhere, but just being curious, is Leo Komarov back from Moscow and invited to the training camp? Any news about it? I know some of you see him on the opening night line up, but i haven't found any news about him going back to toronto.Thanks.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Yeah, he tweeted a picture last night of him in a plane landing in Toronto

Apollo Leaf

Apr 8, 2010
I really like this guy, I think he has a good chance of making the Leafs Imo. A 4th line of Komarov-McClement-Brown sounds pretty fierce to me.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I really like this guy, I think he has a good chance of making the Leafs Imo. A 4th line of Komarov-McClement-Brown sounds pretty fierce to me.

Not necessary fierce but definitely an up grade from Steckel, Lombardi and Armstrong..Shutters

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Seems like a good guy with a good relationship with many of the Leafs players. I think having him around will be great for the Europeans in Leafs organization and he seems to get on well with the Marlies as well.

I hope he makes the team. Can't wait to see him out there on opening night!!!

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto

People on here forget how much Carlyle (and Wilson for that matter) love what Steckel brings to the table. He's going to be out there as the 4th line center almost every night, guaranteed. His faceoff ability was crucial to the success of the big club before he broke his hand. He'll be counted on in the same role as last season.

McClement wasn't happy in the 4th line role he would have been playing in Colorado, which was one of the main reasons for his move to Toronto. He will be playing 3rd line minutes and on the first PK unit. Doubt we see him on the 4th unless he's being given a rest.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
At the AHL level Leo showed very quickly that his game is transferable to the North American game and smaller ice and he got off to a quick start with the Marlies.

I think its that performance that will get him a real shot at playing on Leafs 4th line when the season opens. His gritty agitating style is something that will serve the Leafs well.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
People on here forget how much Carlyle (and Wilson for that matter) love what Steckel brings to the table. He's going to be out there as the 4th line center almost every night, guaranteed. His faceoff ability was crucial to the success of the big club before he broke his hand. He'll be counted on in the same role as last season.

McClement wasn't happy in the 4th line role he would have been playing in Colorado, which was one of the main reasons for his move to Toronto. He will be playing 3rd line minutes and on the first PK unit. Doubt we see him on the 4th unless he's being given a rest.

Well, then you're bumping one of Bozak, Grabovski or Connolly out of the line-up entirely. Grabovski and Bozak won't be going anywhere, so how do you get rid of Connolly, and do you really want Steckel in over him?

Unless someone moves to the wing.

satyr9

Sep 20, 2009
One thing to keep in mind when discussing Steckel vs. Connolly, or Komarov vs. Lombardi potentially, is that if the thing about trading half the salary and/or cap space holds up, then it's far more plausible to see a team take a guy like Connolly for a year at 2.5 or Lombardi at 2.0 if they have a hole to fill.

I'm not saying you'd get much back, but if Carlyle leans towards Komarov or Steckel types over guys with bigger paydays, that new rule should make it easier for them to move the unneeded guys out right away.

That being said, I wouldn't expect moves like that before the 19th. More likely it's a slightly deeper roster this year to start in preparation for the grind of a tight schedule, but you can be sure injuries will happen here and throughout the league and someone would bite at half the price or more for any of the Leafs one year rentals if it turns out Carlyle leans towards the grittier types in the bottom 6.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

You're probably right, and I'm guessing we see a bottom-6 of:

Frattin - McClement - Kulemin
Brown - Steckel - Komarov

on opening night.

It's not what I would do, though, and it means a number of much more talented forwards won't be in the lineup.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008

When Carlyle came in, he used Steckel as his main checking forward and gave him huge minutes at times...sometimes even 20 minutes a game. There were games where he had more minutes than Kessel.

Clearly those minutes are going to go to McClement instead of Steckel. The only question is whether he will have two checking lines, one led by McClement and another one by Steckel or whether he'll sit Steckel and use an 'energy/speed' line instead.

It doesn't really matter which line is the 1st line or 3rd line etc. Those are just labels. In the end the scoring line (Kessel's) and the checking line (McClement) will get highest quantity and important minutes.

Ruki

Jul 21, 2010
Komarov is one of the players I am most excited to see this year. If he does well, I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the second line with Grabo and Kulie.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Was wondering that myself.

Other than Lupul-Kessel, apparently everything is up in the air.

I think Komarov will start on the 4th line, but yeah anything is possible. If certain guys have a slow start he could definitely see his icetime increase greatly.

Assuming Bozak and Frattin/MacArthur are moved, I see the lineup looking like:

Lupul-Connolly-Kessel
van Riemsdyk-Grabovski-Kulemin
Kadri-McClement-Frattin/MacArthur
Komarov-Steckel-Brown
Lombardi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad