Confirmed with Link: Kochetkov extended for 4 years x 2mil AAV

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So when happens when Andersen is back?

To me Kochetkov has played too well to go to AHL. So do they waive Raanta maybe and hope no one claims him?
Waiving him is unlikely IMO. Raanta and Andersen haven't been the picture of health through their careers so the Canes will likely need all 3 heading into the playoffs.

Reactions: Tryamw

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
So when happens when Andersen is back?

To me Kochetkov has played too well to go to AHL. So do they waive Raanta maybe and hope no one claims him?
Probably ride 3 goalies. It’s unlikely we waive Raanta. Someone would claim him and we shouldn’t give away goalies at this point

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
We should have 0 problems both cap-space and roster-space wise to hold onto all 3 goalies if they all get healthy. If this were to happen, we could send Pyotr down to play a weekend in Chicago and then bring him right back up to ensure he has playing time.

As much as the 2 year contracts to Andersen and Rantaa worried me, since we were getting an unproven tandem for 2 years, I think the term was perfect with Pyotr in the helm. Do you think that was a consideration by Waddell and co? Personally, I don't think so. I don't think you can count on a young goalie coming in and playing so well given he was already playing in the K with no assurances of him coming over.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
We should have 0 problems both cap-space and roster-space wise to hold onto all 3 goalies if they all get healthy. If this were to happen, we could send Pyotr down to play a weekend in Chicago and then bring him right back up to ensure he has playing time.

As much as the 2 year contracts to Andersen and Rantaa worried me, since we were getting an unproven tandem for 2 years, I think the term was perfect with Pyotr in the helm. Do you think that was a consideration by Waddell and co? Personally, I don't think so. I don't think you can count on a young goalie coming in and playing so well given he was already playing in the K with no assurances of him coming over.
I definitely don’t think Kochetkov had anything to do with the length of contracts given to Freddie and Raanta. Like you said, you can never know really what you have with a goalie prospect. Pyotr was not playing a ton back in Russia at the time so I definitely don’t think anyone saw this coming.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Based on a Waddell interview it sounds like he just took advantage of an over eager agent. We don’t know why Koochie switched but he did, and Waddell says the new agent immediately called him and wanted to get something done. DW says they’re always interested in getting the younger talent that they think are legit extended so they just went with it. He said it was a risk both ways but from our end he suspected for obvious reasons it would be fine. He looks like at least a backup even at that time so it was a smart risk from our side.

DW in the end just acted appropriately to an agent who misplayed his hand pretty hard. I questioned why we signed him when we did, now that I know it was the agents idea….so be it. I just hope the kid makes it longer than four years so he can get more cash out of his NHL career because 8 cut in half for taxes, then paying the agent and other ancillary costs….

I ain’t gonna cry a river for anyone with that much money but he’s very much a kid following any and all advice right now and I think his agent was in a hurry.
Maybe Kooch is one of those rare people who don't care about the money and just wanted long term stability

Reactions: geehaad

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
If all 3 are healthy I'm guessing we'll see Raanta in the press box for a bit and then in Chicago on a conditioning assignment (which can last up to 2 weeks) to get some work, .

Reactions: Tryamw

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The thing for Kochetkov is that he WILL get his dough from somebody, and relatively soon. He'll only be 28 as an UFA! If he plays like THIS for the remainder of his contract (not likely, but still), someone will offer him the Vasilevskiy $9M/year Brinks truck.

As for the here and now, if Kochetkov is a legitimate #1 goalie long-term, then Carolina has a ton of options to use that unexpected cap space. It will certainly make the Aho negotiations a lot easier, for one, but it may also mean that the Canes could take more of a fiscal gamble to give someone like Jarvis an 8 year deal rather than the Necas-style bridge.

Last edited:

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Will Raanta go down?

If you're asking if I think he'll agree to a conditioning stint in Chicago, I think he will.

If you're asking if I think the Canes will expose him to waivers by assigning him to Chicago outside of a conditioning stint, I don't think so.

If you're asking about his sexual proclivities, I have no idea. :sarcasm:

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
The thing for Kochetkov is that he WILL get his dough from somebody, and relatively soon. He'll only be 28 as an UFA! If he plays like THIS for the remainder of his contract (not likely, but still), someone will offer him the Vasilevskiy $9M/year Brinks truck.

As for the here and now, if Kochetkov is a legitimate #1 goalie long-term, then Carolina has a ton of options to use that unexpected cap space. It will certainly make the Aho negotiations a lot easier, for one, but it may also mean that the Canes could take more of a fiscal gamble to give someone like Jarvis an 8 year deal rather than the Necas-style bridge.
This is his upside. Any young goalie in the league that could be a 1A/1B in Carolina for multiple years and have a contract that brings them straight to UFA should be jumping on that opportunity. The payday is almost inevitable.

Nedeljkovic gambled away that golden goose over a couple million.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
This is his upside. Any young goalie in the league that could be a 1A/1B in Carolina for multiple years and have a contract that brings them straight to UFA should be jumping on that contract. The payday is almost inevitable.

Nedeljkovic gambled away that golden goose over a couple million.

The 4 year deal bought out one year of UFA for Kochetkov, but that still makes him a young UFA at age 28. Nedeljkovic genuinely could've made it directly to UFA at the minimum possible age (27) playing behind this group and could've cashed in, perhaps at an even greater rate than Mrazek got. Instead, after being behind Detroit's very bad defense, he'll likely be earning back-up numbers next season, if that.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
I'm sure Ned is fine. He got to go back home and be near his fiance (now wife I think) who is a nursing student at Michigan State University and pocketed $6M after already making $3.5M in his time in Carolina/Charlotte.

I agree with that. I'm not saying that the outcome was bad for Nedeljkovic. The point that I was making is that Carolina, along with other defensively strong clubs over the past few years, has shown that good goaltending numbers are frequently influenced by the defense in front of them. That's not always true (see Karel Vejmelka being a total beast in Arizona), but that's why a goalie like Mrazek had pedestrian numbers in a spot like Toronto (which, incredible offense aside, isn't exactly known to be the tightest defensive team) and has awful numbers in Chicago.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I agree with that. I'm not saying that the outcome was bad for Nedeljkovic. The point that I was making is that Carolina, along with other defensively strong clubs over the past few years, has shown that good goaltending numbers are frequently influenced by the defense in front of them. That's not always true (see Karel Vejmelka being a total beast in Arizona), but that's why a goalie like Mrazek had pedestrian numbers in a spot like Toronto (which, incredible offense aside, isn't exactly known to be the tightest defensive team) and has awful numbers in Chicago.

Yeah, I get what you are saying. I will say that Mrazek had a .918, .921 and .910 season's in Detroit before he came here, so his .914, .905, .925 (only 14 games) wasn't exactly out of his norm. Same goes for Reimer and McElhinney. Reimer had similar numbers here to what he's had elsewhere. McElhinney had better numbers in Toronto than here.

Reactions: geehaad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad