Confirmed with Link: Kochetkov extended for 4 years x 2mil AAV

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I mean I kind of agree but we are getting into the range where you kind of just have to let the kid prove it. His numbers since he came to NA in both the AHL and NHL have been absurd and the advance stats are beginning to back up the thought that he could be a special player for us. He's consistently putting up highlight reel moments between the pipes and, even better, he looks comfortable. He's keeping us in games when we have no business being competitive and he's having to do all this while dealing with a defense that has been noticeably leaky compared to previous years.

Gut feeling? He's our long term solution in net, and he's our Game 1 playoff starter this year based on merit. Next year we hand him the bulk of starts, get a decent backup, and focus our energy on fixing the offense. Raanta and Freddie will be too expensive for the roles we want out of them going forward.
I agree that he’s probably the long term solution but I guess after seeing them get burned by other “long term solutions” I’d like to see them have a solid backup (sorry for the bad pun) plan before the season.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I agree that he’s probably the long term solution but I guess after seeing them get burned by other “long term solutions” I’d like to see them have a solid backup (sorry for the bad pun) plan before the season.
If there is one thing that I have full faith in our front office to do, its to be able to find a completely deprecated asset in net to bring in and excel here. There's far too much evidence to support it at this point that I think its safe to say they just have something figured out analytically for goalies.

I am just saying that whatever we do, I really don't think it'll be in a platoon setup. Koochie will be the main starter next year, probably taking on 2/3 of the games, with his backup splitting back to back duties as well as giving him a needed off day here or there as opposed to the close to 50% game splits that we've been trying to implement so far under Brindy.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Gut feeling for me, he’s our future starter, but I think we need to grab a very good goalie in the offseason, pending how Freddy recovers, but I think we go elsewhere, maybe Florida gets desperate and works a trade with Bob

1669660492676.gif

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
The stats are cool and all but I think it’s still too early to pencil him in as the #1 next year. I’d like to see the front office find a 1a and let them battle it out. Now if he does prove over the course of this season that he can handle it that’s even more money in the bank to find some scoring help or depth on the back end (a solid LD to help our lord and savior Morrow).
I really think Varlamov is the ideal target among the FA likely to be available. Freddie will likely be more expensive and his availability has been much more of a concern than Varlamov lately. Raanta is better suited as a backup at this point so keeping him would pretty much be slotting Koochie in as #1. There are not really too many great FA options in net this year for a 1a/1b, more backups.

Kochetkov is better than people think he is. If we had lasy year's team or whatnot, he's probably as good as Andersen.

He's 3 years younger than Shesterkin. Bigger, and moves just as well. You do the math. I have extremely high hopes for him. But he needs confidence and our team is letting him down.
I don't think he will never lack in confidence, lol, he seems possibly overconfident at times. He does need to settle down a bit more which should come in time as he logs more NHL minutes, also glove could use some work. But yeah he has all the tools to be one of the best goalies in the league right up there with other Russians like Igor, Ilya, Vasi.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I really think Varlamov is the ideal target among the FA likely to be available. Freddie will likely be more expensive and his availability has been much more of a concern than Varlamov lately. Raanta is better suited as a backup at this point so keeping him would pretty much be slotting Koochie in as #1. There are not really too many great FA options in net this year for a 1a/1b, more backups.

I don't think he will never lack in confidence, lol, he seems possibly overconfident at times. He does need to settle down a bit more which should come in time as he logs more NHL minutes, also glove could use some work. But yeah he has all the tools to be one of the best goalies in the league right up there with other Russians like Igor, Ilya, Vasi.
Varlamov will be the target of many teams. A handful of teams outbid us on him.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Wonder if we’ll take a look at Tristan Jarry as he’s a UFA? But my guess is he’ll be too expensive for us.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Wonder if we’ll take a look at Tristan Jarry as he’s a UFA? But my guess is he’ll be too expensive for us.
Seeing how he’ll be the best starter available at prime age. Someone is going to give him a Campbell level deal that will age as wonderfully

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Agree/disagree for me. For most games he does look 8/10 on confidence. However, in the playoffs against the Rags he played super deep in net and got shellacked by "save-able" shots. I mean, he had barely spent two months in a new country and was playing in full barns in the playoffs and had to face Panarin, 50 goal man Chris Kreider, and an elite power play. I think it was a learning experience for him but I also worry it could happen again, particularly because I think he is a hot head.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Agree/disagree for me. For most games he does look 8/10 on confidence. However, in the playoffs against the Rags he played super deep in net and got shellacked by "save-able" shots. I mean, he had barely spent two months in a new country and was playing in full barns in the playoffs and had to face Panarin, 50 goal man Chris Kreider, and an elite power play. I think it was a learning experience for him but I also worry it could happen again, particularly because I think he is a hot head.
That's fair but really the entire team played like that, I don't think it's an issue with his confidence that is something to worry about in his career.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Agree that he is the long term solution. the Last time I felt this confident in our goaltending future was when we signed UFA Scott Darling! 🙅‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Its genuinely impressive that the only goalie who hasn't looked at the very least competent behind the current iteration of our defense with Slavin and Pesce is Darling, a goalie that set a new bar on just how shitty a goaltender can be in the NHL.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Its genuinely impressive that the only goalie who hasn't looked at the very least competent behind the current iteration of our defense with Slavin and Pesce is Darling, a goalie that set a new bar on just how shitty a goaltender can be in the NHL.

I think it shows how much confidence plays a part in any athlete, but especially goaltending. If you're not confident you can make a save, it's noticable, not only to your team, but to the opposing one as well

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
You might have forgotten Jack LaFontaine... though I guess he shouldn't be considered a NHL goaltender in the first place, just one thrust into the position due to injury, ala Ayres.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Without Darling, the Canes might have made the playoffs or finished just outside in 17-18. That means no Svechnikov. Shifting the paradigm, perhaps one of, if not the worst contracts in franchise history is one of the best.
Well shit

Does koochs contract take him to Ufa because he will be 27?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad