Seravalli: Knights and Rielly Smith have a verbal agreement on an extension

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
About double what he's currently worth. He's not suited to be more than a 3rd pair D at this point on a good team.
Ironic for a VGK fan to define a defenseman that way—because the same could've been said for any of the "Golden Misfit" defensemen from that inaugral season. VGK fans should know better than anyone else that sometimes players just need a bigger role to show what they can really do.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Patrick can (and should) be waived so his cap hit is a non-issue.

Letting Thompson run with the #1 role and expecting no hiccups seems a bit premature.
Nolan Patrick?

I'd love to have him on the Avs and see if he can slowly sort it out.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Not really. They only missed the playoffs due to massive injuries.

Massive injuries that let them ice a team. They literally couldn’t ice a healthy team—so it’s a bit hard to use injuries as an excuse

Also, they don’t have depth to deal with injuries.

So nope, they can blame roster construction, not injuries

Reactions: Sean Garrity

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Ironic for a VGK fan to define a defenseman that way—because the same could've been said for any of the "Golden Misfit" defensemen from that inaugral season. VGK fans should know better than anyone else that sometimes players just need a bigger role to show what they can really do.

He had a bigger role for a portion of this past year playing with Petro. Hutton was better in that spot. We've seen more than enough of him to know what he is right NOW. I know he's not finished product so I don't want to move him, but 4m per at his current level would be more than he is worth and definitely more than Vegas can afford.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Too bad. Really underrated, effective player. Takes a good option off the UFA market. But it does make sense from both a Vegas perspective, and from the player's perspective. Smith has found a pretty good home there, and it seems to work well for both parties. Why mess with that i guess?

Curious who is going to be sent packing from Vegas to make the cap all work though. Karlsson kind of makes some sense. He'd free up the space to fit things in. But a team like Vegas that aren't deep down the middle, moving a Center...that doesn't really make a lot of sense.

It's also hard to really figure how it's all going to piece together, considering they're probably going to be trying to operate right at the cap...so they can fully take advantage of working $7.85M into the LTIR bonus cushion with Weber's contract now. How they juggle that situation is going to require some lateral thinking and very careful timing probably.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad