Seravalli: Knights and Rielly Smith have a verbal agreement on an extension

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
AKA after Weber is placed on LTIR
Even with Weber on LTIR they are still going to likely need to move someone. Say they sign Hague, Kolesar and Roy for 1 million each and Reilly to 4 million per that still puts them over the cap with no scratches. That assumes a healthy roster with Patrick and Brossoit playing. If they dump Brossoit and plug in Thompson that would work but they would be running a 20 man roster. I would expect there is another move made to get the pieces to fit. I also would think Roy and Hague get more than a mil per as well.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
How the hell does Vegas keep making the cap work? Some real wizards in that department, unless Smith is taking well below market value

Reactions: Morrison

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
With Stephenson I think they move Patches or Karlsson. Karlsson was part of a very chemistry filled line with Smith and Marchy. Patches is the most expensive and they may even get a return.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Reportedly the deal is 5mil for 3 years, in which case moving out Dadonov didn't create enough space.

Yeah, it a tad short, but close. They'd need to make some other smaller move to open up 1-2 more roster slots.

Most obvious move I see is if they could move Brossoit and use Thompson as the backup tender.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Knights can go 10% over the cap in the off-season and then put Weber on LTIR, which makes them cap compliant. They're cap compliant with signing Smith and doing that, although it's close (like $200k with a 20 man roster close).

They'll gain more cap space by moving out Brossoit and maybe Patrick, replacing those guys with league minimum players solves any sort of cap issues.

Ledge And Dairy

Even with Weber on LTIR they are still going to likely need to move someone. Say they sign Hague, Kolesar and Roy for 1 million each and Reilly to 4 million per that still puts them over the cap with no scratches. That assumes a healthy roster with Patrick and Brossoit playing. If they dump Brossoit and plug in Thompson that would work but they would be running a 20 man roster. I would expect there is another move made to get the pieces to fit. I also would think Roy and Hague get more than a mil per as well.
This exactly. My guess is with Coghlan no longer being waiver exempt they trade Martinez for cap space (Detroit and NYI make sense), then run something like this as their d-core.
Hague - Pietrangelo
Theodore - Whitecloud
McNabb - Coghlan
Hutton

Reactions: CanuckCity

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Sounds like it’s three years, five million per. Makes sense to sign him for that he’s a good player and it’s a low risk deal

Reactions: CanuckCity

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
1 mill left to sign 2 more forwards, and thats with Weber on LTIR. Need to move out another contract. Vegas keep Vegas-ing with their player relations.

33.png

Reactions: CanuckCity and Treb
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The Knights can go 10% over the cap in the off-season and then put Weber on LTIR, which makes them cap compliant. They're cap compliant with signing Smith and doing that, although it's close (like $200k with a 20 man roster close).

They'll gain more cap space by moving out Brossoit and maybe Patrick, replacing those guys with league minimum players solves any sort of cap issues.
They can't go over 10% in the regular season, though, just what Weber's $7.8 which they're nearly at with a 16 man roster. I don't think moving out Brossoit and Patrick cuts it, at least one person with a bigger hit has to go.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
They can't go over 10% in the regular season, though, just what Weber's $7.8 which they're nearly at with a 16 man roster. I don't think moving out Brossoit and Patrick cuts it, at least one person with a bigger hit has to go.

Working from CF's projections they'd be at 19 players and $200k in cap space with a Smith $5m signing. Thompson for Brossoit makes that $1.75m free. Dropping Patrick makes it 18 players with $2.95m free. That should be workable, though it certainly doesn't seem ideal.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Working from CF's projections they'd be at 19 players and $200k in cap space with a Smith $5m signing. Thompson for Brossoit makes that $1.75m free. Dropping Patrick makes it 18 players with $2.95m free. That should be workable, though it certainly doesn't seem ideal.
Yeah I just blatantly miscounted. I suppose it is technically doable, so this is more I really just don't see that being it for them. But we'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad