Post-Game Talk: Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Makes zero sense to me. Brodz is better off helping Hartford. His ahl points are meaningless. He can’t score in the NHL. Makes little sense to not give a kid like Othmann or Berard a cup of coffee here

Reactions: Captain Lindy

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Damn, Vince reporting Fil to LTIR. Couple that with him not being at practice and it sounds like a concussion that is lingering. Heard he was skating on his own previously. Hope he's still doing that and hasn't been shut down completely

It's purely a salary cap move.

Thats not saying that a set back didn't happen but with Fox coming back, it helps to keep as much of that cushion as you possibly can.

Chytil+Kakko makes up for 2/3rds ish of what they were able to run with when Fox was on it.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Makes sense Laviolette wouldn't want to break up that 4th line, they have been good last night notwithstanding.
so far I like Laviolette's style. Don't break up the two best lines on the team. The Trocheck line and the 4th line. Let the other lines figure it out.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017

Thats not saying that a set back didn't happen but with Fox coming back, it helps to keep as much of that cushion as you possibly can.

Chytil+Kakko makes up for 2/3rds ish of what they were able to run with when Fox was on it.
Hope you are right. But would have been nice to see Fil on the ice today, doing anything

Reactions: Captain Lindy

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Damn, Vince reporting Fil to LTIR. Couple that with him not being at practice and it sounds like a concussion that is lingering. Heard he was skating on his own previously. Hope he's still doing that and hasn't been shut down completely
It's retroactive is it not?

I have no problem with them being overly cautious. There's no need to rush him back from head trauma ( assuming that's what it is )

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
also lol Igor was fine. i guess he could've had the 3rd goal, but it should've been 4-0 after the first period.
3rd goal was a beauty of a tip by Trouba from 5 feet out. Trouba turned toward the slot, saw the shot coming and thought he could stick it away or something and instead tipped it perfectly in. Igor was def annoyed at him, you can see him throw his hands up at him. Pretty clear to see on the behind the net replay but of course Sam didn't notice it, though Joe usually picks up on that.

It's like no one was aware of opponent's stick placement last night, 2 sticks in the lane? Maybe if I fling it hard enough it'll find a way through? Maddening. Turnover after turnover forcing passes. I paused it every 45 seconds as a teaching moment of real basic shit. 'Son, see here we don't force a pass because a forward looks to be in the clear when there are 3 sticks in the lane'. 'Son, when we're the last man back with the puck on a 4 on 1 downlow in the O zone we make DAMN sure the pass connects and is not sent to no man's land leading to a 4 on 1 the other way'.

Despite that, we were a diving stick save of the year, stick shaft and an overturned goal from being right in this one for a point.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
3rd goal was a beauty of a tip by Trouba from 5 feet out. Trouba turned toward the slot, saw the shot coming and thought he could stick it away or something and instead tipped it perfectly in. Igor was def annoyed at him, you can see him throw his hands up at him. Pretty clear to see on the behind the net replay but of course Sam didn't notice it, though Joe usually picks up on that.

It's like no one was aware of opponent's stick placement last night, 2 sticks in the lane? Maybe if I fling it hard enough it'll find a way through? Maddening. Turnover after turnover forcing passes. I paused it every 45 seconds as a teaching moment of real basic shit. 'Son, see here we don't force a pass because a forward looks to be in the clear when there are 3 sticks in the lane'. 'Son, when we're the last man back with the puck on a 4 on 1 downlow in the O zone we make DAMN sure the pass connects and is not sent to no man's land leading to a 4 on 1 the other way'.

Despite that, we were a diving stick save of the year, stick shaft and an overturned goal from being right in this one for a point.
Actually, I don't think Trouba did anything wrong on that 3rd goal. He got out of Igor's lane, maybe not far enough from the shooting angle. Yes, the puck deflected off him. I'm curious to know that if it didn't hit Trouba, would it have missed the net.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
So we’re just gonna go on with our lives and never get answers on the first PP?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
All of this is correct.

But they weren't practicing with an extra forward to begin with sans Chytil. I agree with MH that calling up both of them is odd unless there is someone else who is questionable for tomorrow.
Bonino played through but looked hurt after one of his blocks.

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Makes zero sense to me. Brodz is better off helping Hartford. His ahl points are meaningless. He can’t score in the NHL. Makes little sense to not give a kid like Othmann or Berard a cup of coffee here
It makes sense if they don't think either is ready for this cup yet.

Edstrom got sent down already so thats kind of taken care of.
Oh, I missed that. (just came from the gym)

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Lundqvist's contract was $8.5m. Shesterkin would boil his agent alive if he came in at $8.5m.

I mean, not me. I wouldn't give a goaltender 8.5 dollars, but that's me. The Rangers would jump at signing Shesterkin to 8.5. I'm worried about 11-12m.

Neither Fox nor Mika make that much playing more important positions and Fox is a much better player.

Last edited:

FUZfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2018
Neither Fox nor Mika make that much playing more important positions and Fox is a much better player.
Fox isn't a goalie.

Ask any NHL coach or GM who the most important player on the ice is, night in, night out, regular season or playoffs, when it comes to winning a game.

The answer you'd get is the goalie.

If you don't understand that, you don't understand the game.

Reactions: Blasds

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Fox isn't a goalie.

Ask any NHL coach or GM who the most important player on the ice is, night in, night out, regular season or playoffs, when it comes to winning a game.

Yes, as opposed to having no one in net, a goalie is the most important player.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Fox isn't a goalie.

Yes, and oxygen is the most important thing to keeping you alive.

We don't pay for oxygen because it's absolutely everywhere, just like quality goaltenders.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008

Lavi confirmed to Vince there was no setback. He's moving in the positive direction.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Fox isn't a goalie.

It’s not 1994 anymore when the difference between a top 10 goalie and bottom 10 starter was light years

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
Fox isn't a goalie.

Lol dont understand the game

The difference been a great goalie and an average goalie is not worth 5/6+ million dollars or more a year.

If you dont understand that, you dont understand the salary cap.

For what its worth, Shesty has looked good so far this year but no where near elite. He will make a great save and the next shot against he looks like he has no idea where the rebound went

Goalies like Darcy Kuemper have won a cup, there no reason to get heavily invested in the position

FUZfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2018
Yes, and oxygen is the most important thing to keeping you alive.

We don't pay for oxygen because it's absolutely everywhere, just like quality goaltenders.
Ridiculous analogy. There are plenty of teams that wish they had better goaltending right now. Edmonton is probably on the top of the list.
Lol dont understand the game

The difference been a great goalie and an average goalie is not worth 5/6+ million dollars or more a year.

If you dont understand that, you dont understand the salary cap.

For what its worth, Shesty has looked good so far this year but no where near elite. He will make a great save and the next shot against he looks like he has no idea where the rebound went

Goalies like Darcy Kuemper have won a cup, there no reason to get heavily invested in the position
Glad I gave you a chuckle Jim.

The difference between great and average is consistency. You don't want to go into the playoffs with an average goalie and hope he gets hot, hope he doesn't let in a softy at the absolute worst time.

I understand the cap. I understand that you have to manage your salaries to be competitive long term and I'm not advocating that they pay Shesty whatever he demands. But my point isn't invalidated by the fact that there's a salary cap.

Shesty hasn't been great this year, but he has made some huge saves at key points in games which has definitely contributed to our success. I am expecting him to get better as the season goes on.

Reactions: Jim Ramsay

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
Ridiculous analogy. There are plenty of teams that wish they had better goaltending right now. Edmonton is probably on the top of the list.

Glad I gave you a chuckle Jim.

The difference between great and average is consistency. You don't want to go into the playoffs with an average goalie and hope he gets hot, hope he doesn't let in a softy at the absolute worst time.

I understand the cap. I understand that you have to manage your salaries to be competitive long term and I'm not advocating that they pay Shesty whatever he demands. But my point isn't invalidated by the fact that there's a salary cap.

Shesty hasn't been great this year, but he has made some huge saves at key points in games which has definitely contributed to our success. I am expecting him to get better as the season goes on.

If he gets even a bit better as the season goes on we are going to be in fantastic shape.

The next contract is a huge roll of the dice, but we will cross that bridge when we get there for sure

Reactions: FUZfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad