Post-Game Talk: Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Goalies like Darcy Kuemper have won a cup, there no reason to get heavily invested in the position
Lets step back a bit... Kuemper won a cup with dynamic generational talent leading the way. That's a massive piece of context missing.

Sure, if we have a Makar and MacKinnon to pay instead of a goalie, I'm for it.

Igor either plays lights out and earns his $10-11M contract, which is great for the team over the next two years.... or he's inconsistent and gets around 8M.
I have no dog in this fight. I want this team to win. If we can find a serviceable replacement for less, great. If we end up like Toronto, New Jersey or Edmonton.... not great.

If Benoit Allaire is as great as we think he is, he most likely doesn't need a 11M goalie.

Reactions: FUZfan

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
Lets step back a bit... Kuemper won a cup with dynamic generational talent leading the way. That's a massive piece of context missing.

Well thats kind of my point, if you have that talent in front of the goalie, you dont need to overpay for one.

I think a combo of Fox/ Panarin/Kreider/Zib should be enough to get it done, but again the game isnt played on paper

And again, just my opinion

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Well thats kind of my point, if you have that talent in front of the goalie, you dont need to overpay for one.

I think a combo of Fox/ Panarin/Kreider/Zib should be enough to get it done, but again the game isnt played on paper

And again, just my opinion
The stars still need to lead the way offensively.

No one wins a cup without their superstars showing up.

I'm hesitant in that regard. I've seen nothing to change that opinion yet, besides Panarin and Laffy cooking at 5v5.

Reactions: Jim Ramsay

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
The stars still need to lead the way offensively.

No one wins a cup without their superstars showing up.

I'm hesitant in that regard. I've seen nothing to change that opinion yet, besides Panarin and Laffy cooking at 5v5.

Yes I agree, I stand by the belief if everyone shows up we can go the distance, deep roster compared to a lot of teams out there, just got to get firing at the right time

But again, we've rarely seen them show up all at once

Reactions: duhmetreE

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY

Igor either plays lights out and earns his $10-11M contract, which is great for the team over the next two years.... or he's inconsistent and gets around 8M.
I have no dog in this fight. I want this team to win. If we can find a serviceable replacement for less, great. If we end up like Toronto, New Jersey or Edmonton.... not great.

If Benoit Allaire is as great as we think he is, he most likely doesn't need a 11M goalie.
We have Fox - as close of a comparable player as you can get.

We have a lot of firepower up front that are already paid. If Panarin can regain his early season form once playoffs roll around things will be exciting.

Makar and MacKinnon weren't winners until they won. MacKinnon gave that presser about "Well I've been in the league for 8-9 years and haven't won shit." I don't think Colorado made it past the 2nd round during those 8-9 years.

We have comparable players up and down the roster - maybe no one in the mold of a MacKinnon/Tkachuk who, as one player, can fill multiple roles that we need 2 to fill, but not every winner is a carbon copy of every other winner and I'm not sure it's essential to building a Cup winner. Certainly doesn't hurt though.

I think Zibanejad is the lynchpin of this team's playoff success and would be that sort of gamebreaking player for us. If he goes into the playoffs with a fire lit under his ass (and everyone else's play stays more or less the same), Rangers cruise to the ECF.

Reactions: FUZfan

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ridiculous analogy. There are plenty of teams that wish they had better goaltending right now. Edmonton is probably on the top of the list.
It's an egregious failure on their part that they can't find quality goaltending.

We signed some fossil and he's been the best goalie in the league. Vegas won the Cup with their fourth stringer. Pittsburgh won two Cups with some homeless dude.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It's an egregious failure on their part that they can't find quality goaltending.

We signed some fossil and he's been the best goalie in the league. Vegas won the Cup with their fourth stringer. Pittsburgh won two Cups with some homeless dude.

I get what you're saying but it's being over simplified

in 2001, New England won a SuperBowl with their backup 7th rounder... we dont need a QB.

Adin Hill played well, won a cup and is now the early leading vezina favorite.

I'm all for getting a 'bigger' goalie that Benoit can work with.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I get what you're saying but it's being over simplified

in 2001, New England won a SuperBowl with their backup 7th rounder... we dont need a QB.

Adin Hill played well, won a cup and is now the early leading vezina favorite.
He'll be a backup or out of the league within five years.

Bring in the next one.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Fox isn't a goalie.

Ask any NHL coach or GM who the most important player on the ice is, night in, night out, regular season or playoffs, when it comes to winning a game.

The answer you'd get is the goalie.

If you don't understand that, you don't understand the game.

And yet every team whose best player is a goalie doesn't win shit as you saw with the Lundqvist Rangers, Price Canadians, and Hasek Sabres. Meanwhile the Blackhawks were a mini dynasty with Crawford and Niemi and the Wings with Osgood.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Ridiculous analogy. There are plenty of teams that wish they had better goaltending right now. Edmonton is probably on the top of the list.

Glad I gave you a chuckle Jim.

The difference between great and average is consistency. You don't want to go into the playoffs with an average goalie and hope he gets hot, hope he doesn't let in a softy at the absolute worst time.

I understand the cap. I understand that you have to manage your salaries to be competitive long term and I'm not advocating that they pay Shesty whatever he demands. But my point isn't invalidated by the fact that there's a salary cap.

Shesty hasn't been great this year, but he has made some huge saves at key points in games which has definitely contributed to our success. I am expecting him to get better as the season goes on.

And yet he's been handily outplayed by a guy with one foot out of the league.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Nothing special about shesty this year so far

Weird game. The no goal call maybe changes everything if it counts. Vesey missing wide open net early third.

Never felt like we’d lose just never played well either.

Lindgren is a 3rd pair dman on any other team.

Feel for kakko but we’re about to be a better team without him. Whether that’s Kane or Othmann or both. He’s been horrible and this was the shit cherry on top.
Welp! There goes the season. P.O. Hopes looking dim now. I wish for the "kid" to be more like a man, but maybe this injury will allow him to re-evaluate and WATCH what other payers do. Maybe someone will seriously get in his ear.

And yet every team whose best player is a goalie doesn't win shit as you saw with the Lundqvist Rangers, Price Canadians, and Hasek Sabres. Meanwhile the Blackhawks were a mini dynasty with Crawford and Niemi and the Wings with Osgood.
U need a "capable" goalie, and he doesn't have to be the best player on the ice. Your best players need to be scorers/playmakers.
Good defenseman and responsible forwards cover for "average" goaltenders.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Gonna be at least 10M to keep Igor I would assume.
And they shouldn't pay it. Not unless that cap goes up quite a bit. We won't be able to afford the Laffy's, KK's and Chytil's of the world. Oh and lets not forget about k'Andre. Hopefully Garand or Lindholm can be the saving grace. Makes what T.B. did even more amazing. How they were able to keep their top6 in tact, even their top 9. Player in, player out, all under the cap.

Reactions: blue425

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The issue wasn’t their best player was a goalie, the issue was that their only elite player was a goalie.

Especially Hasek’s Sabres, have you looked at that roster? Disgusting.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Makes sense Laviolette wouldn't want to break up that 4th line, they have been good last night notwithstanding.
Not only them being good, but it gives Brodz a shot at making a good "last" showing of himself? Maybe never to return to the Rangers if he stinks it up. But, I like him......just need some offense. Reminds me of Gauthier a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad