Injury Report: Klefbom could be out long-term.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
We were 2nd in the division with him and a rookie partner as our top pairing. It seems to me he's improving and the results prove it. We haven't had a reliable top 4 until this season since Sekera got hurt until this season. Last year Nurse did well given Klefbom being hurt and Russell as his partner. Nurse has been getting more responsiblity every season and getting progressively better results. It seems to me you are building a narrative that's counter to the facts given what has happened. Nurse isn't the problem.

Nurse is improving but still has kinks he needs to work on if he's going to become a permanent fixture on the 1st pairing.

Reactions: gordonhught

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Watch his play during the playoffs and you would see him give the puck away multiple times.

It looked to me that he was overwhelmed and it caused him to panic.

Nurse also has a physical skill set that lets him make more plays on the puck than most dmen in the league. Simply put Nurse makes more mistakes because he makes more plays. Add to that he's playing a ton of minutes and against elites and of course he's going to f*** up. The best players aren't the guys making the least amount of mistakes but rather the guys with the best ratio of plays vs mistakes.

Nurse makes more positive plays happen than not and he's still improving. A healthy tools rich guy like Nurse should only get better for another 5 years, health permitting, as experience will most likely make him wiser. The Oilers for years struggled because they didn't have playmakers on the back end. Nurse isn't flashy but he's involved a lot and has the stats to prove it.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Apprehensive about going under the knife, didn't he get a serious infection a few years back?
yes he had MRSA that required many skin grafts

I would say that he probably didn't get it at a hospital, but I've heard from people that work in hospitals that MRSA is getting common at hospitals.

GretzkytoKurri9917

"LIVE LONG AND PROSPER"
Oct 6, 2008
Gotham City
yes he had MRSA that required many skin grafts

I would say that he probably didn't get it at a hospital, but I've heard from people that work in hospitals that MRSA is getting common at hospitals.

I remember reading about a wrestler in Texas that went in for surgery and ended up developing Toxic Shock Syndrome.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If Chicago can do it with Hossa, we can do that with a season of Klef having a bum shoulder
It's not even that borderline though. It's more like a situation (speaking of Chicago) like when Patrick Kane was injured most of the season but started game 1 of the playoffs.

It's an arguable point about when someone is truly 100% better. If you take more time, you reduce chance of re-aggrevating the injury. For Klef, we could make the case quite easily I'd think

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
If he does go the surgery route, they should definitely go out and spend that money and bring him back for the playoffs. I wonder if they would delay his surgery so that his timeline for return would line up near the end of the season.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Apprehensive about going under the knife, didn't he get a serious infection a few years back?

Think he got that infection after a cut from a shot block. He joined the Oilers shoulder surgery club before he even played an NHL game I think, way back when we drafted Yak. Only shoulder surgery since was a "clean up" a couple years ago. Wonder if this is just an issue that surgery isn't that much more likely to help than rehab and other treatments. Something with the bone/joint instead of issues with muscles/tendons. Pulju popped in my head and has me thinking about bone spurs :(

Treating bone spurs in the shoulder is difficult. Even with surgery. – Caring Medical

OK, thinking happy thoughts...

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Nurse also has a physical skill set that lets him make more plays on the puck than most dmen in the league. Simply put Nurse makes more mistakes because he makes more plays. Add to that he's playing a ton of minutes and against elites and of course he's going to f*** up. The best players aren't the guys making the least amount of mistakes but rather the guys with the best ratio of plays vs mistakes.

Nurse makes more positive plays happen than not and he's still improving. A healthy tools rich guy like Nurse should only get better for another 5 years, health permitting, as experience will most likely make him wiser. The Oilers for years struggled because they didn't have playmakers on the back end. Nurse isn't flashy but he's involved a lot and has the stats to prove it.
He may make good plays on occasion but when the pressure is on, he doesn't process the right plays and is a liability.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Outsider here.

I think Caleb Jones is ready to take that top 4 spot. Every time I watch him, i come away impressed. With some more reps, I think he can be a very good top 4 dman for your team.
A number 4 for the next 2 years at $850k would be huge for us if he stepped in. We could LTIR Klefbom until he was ready to play the trade him for cheap futures. We would use the savings on a Mcwinger.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I’m not really ready to bet on Jones yet. He’s been very Benning-like. Great while sheltered, but overwhelmed in the top4.

I don’t think either are ready for Klefbom’s minutes, but I think Broberg could be the clear option by the end of camp.
Nurse gets Klefbom minutes and Jones gets nurses minutes.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If he does falter then a move can be made. I would rather give Lagesson and Jones a shot while Klefbom is out than aquire another fefencman we cannot protect.

A very good point. Any replacement will cost assets to potentially be lost to the expansion draft.

It's been a bad habit to throw players to the wolves but for his draft position/hype Bouchard has been properly groomed. Ditto Bear, Jones, Laggesson, and Samourukov. Even Broberg has at least played a draft +1.5 in a men's league prior to whenever next season starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad