Injury Report: Klefbom could be out long-term.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Lol, we aren't deep enough to live without Jones, for crying out loud. Not that Klef is any great shakes, but he is a veteran NHL defenceman.

Not a big surprise that he's hurt again and will need more surgery. We need to move on from him when the chance presents itself. This has gone on far too long.
I agree that he misses time, but it's nothing like it was at the start of his career. The fact that this is an elective surgery tells me he will be much improved when he recovers.

I'm also somewhat open to us getting a Klef replacement for this season. I get that going with Jones is not ideal. However, I just would rather spend big assets elsewhere. If we can get someone as good as Klef for about 1 year, as UFA, sure. But trade assets should go elsewhere.

As for sticking with Jones, that is a bit of a judgement call. He has 60 games of NHL experience and he's only gotten better and better. He's 23. Staple him to Larsson or Bear and he will do well, and maybe give extra minutes to the other pairing. If there was question on what to do with Benning, we can end that now by re-signing him, and then let there be an open competition for the final spot. Maybe it's Samorukov's year. We have all this amazing D depth in the system, and it seems like we'd want to at least give these young guys a chance to take the job. If they fail, we can always pursue a trade mid-season

And again, with holes such as 3C, top line winger, goalie, are we really so concerned with Jones that we spend our assets on a temporary hole?

Reactions: Moose 11

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Nothing like jumping to conclusions.

And why are we hearing this at all? He doesn't owe this to anyone to tell them he's been either rehabbing his shoulder or thinking about surgery.

My comment was made before the Gazzola comments. Nothing I stated was the least bit unreasonable at the time. But of course as a professional he owes it to the club paying him millions make up his mind eventually whether he's retiring, reconsidering hockey, wanting to play somewhere else where he gets less minutes etc. I mean who knows, Gazzola saying everything is on the table, I assume they way that was stated that everything includes options other than the Oilers. Its obviously a very strange situation.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That whole Klefbom + Larsson + Sekera core that led the Oilers to the 2nd round I think has ultimately fizzled out due to injuries and other factors.

Time to move on and build a blue line, I don't see Klef or Larsson here long term, if you can get a good deal for them this summer I would do it.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Unfortunately that's what happens with Klefbom.

Someone has to play above their head during his yearly injury. If Broberg is the best option for it, it is what it is.

My thoughts too, the young guys might not be ready for the NHL but if its possible for one of them to step up then you have to take it.

As said before by many posters, you just can't win with the blueline they have now no matter what the experience level is. They simply aren't good enough.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
So we just had like 5 months off, and now he/they're weighing up surgery?! Are you kidding?

I guess if the Coyotes want to save money, trading him straight up for OEL and then going to surgery for LTIR could be appealing for them

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I agree that he misses time, but it's nothing like it was at the start of his career. The fact that this is an elective surgery tells me he will be much improved when he recovers.

I'm also somewhat open to us getting a Klef replacement for this season. I get that going with Jones is not ideal. However, I just would rather spend big assets elsewhere. If we can get someone as good as Klef for about 1 year, as UFA, sure. But trade assets should go elsewhere.

As for sticking with Jones, that is a bit of a judgement call. He has 60 games of NHL experience and he's only gotten better and better. He's 23. Staple him to Larsson or Bear and he will do well, and maybe give extra minutes to the other pairing. If there was question on what to do with Benning, we can end that now by re-signing him, and then let there be an open competition for the final spot. Maybe it's Samorukov's year. We have all this amazing D depth in the system, and it seems like we'd want to at least give these young guys a chance to take the job. If they fail, we can always pursue a trade mid-season

And again, with holes such as 3C, top line winger, goalie, are we really so concerned with Jones that we spend our assets on a temporary hole?

It all depends on the severity, which I am assuming now that this has leaked, Holland should brief everyone when they do their routine pre-draft presser.

I’m not set on Klefbom long term, so I wouldn’t be against an OEL deal, but absolutely not for the assets AZ is rumored to be asking for. I think if Klefbom is down for the year you can easily get a very good D out of the UFA crop this season on a 1 year deal for what you are paying Klefbom.

Now if Klefbom is coming back mid season, which would be like Apr-May probably next year, then your ******, because there is no way you are going to be able to find an external replacement and then try and squeeze Klefbom back in in a flat cap.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Outsider here.

I think Caleb Jones is ready to take that top 4 spot. Every time I watch him, i come away impressed. With some more reps, I think he can be a very good top 4 dman for your team.

Agreed, the emergence of Ethan Bear kind of took the spotlight off of Jones, but I think Klefbom being out might be a blessing in disguise for him.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
So we just had like 5 months off, and now he/they're weighing up surgery?! Are you kidding?

I guess if the Coyotes want to save money, trading him straight up for OEL and then going to surgery for LTIR could be appealing for them
The playoffs ended for the Oilers in August. Should he have done the surgery right at the lockout and missed the playoffs? I'm sure it wasn't even an option.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Outsider here.

I think Caleb Jones is ready to take that top 4 spot. Every time I watch him, i come away impressed. With some more reps, I think he can be a very good top 4 dman for your team.

The Oilers dominated the Hawks in the play in round when ever Jones was on the ice the Hawks were outshot something like 27-5.

I think Jones needs to play more too.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
How did Klefbom get hurt? Coasting in the RR must have been so hard

He's been hurt since forever it feels like.

I thought something was very wrong from the get go in that Hawks series, he looked afraid to get hit and threw the puck away immediately in game 1, it reminded me of him in 17-18.

Anyways could be for the best in the long term. I always had a bad feeling to Oilers would give away Caleb Jones in the expansion draft and regret it in the years to come, now I think you definitely protect Bear-Jones-Nurse.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Big brain commentary right here lmao

Nah. Just sick of the speculation and inconstancy. Last time they had meaningful games, he had "spurs". Now this loss to Chi, he has a mysterious injury which requires "surgery"

Paying him 4mil to always have some hidden injury that he "tries" to play thru when is counts is getting tiresome as the team suffers

He's not elite enough to keep imo

Reactions: Beerfish

space321

May 11, 2011
Nah. Just sick of the speculation and inconstancy. Last time they had meaningful games, he had "spurs". Now this loss to Chi, he has a mysterious injury which requires "surgery"

Paying him 4mil to always have some hidden injury that he "tries" to play thru when is counts is getting tiresome as the team suffers

He's not elite enough to keep imo

He had surgery before, and it's probably the same injury. Surgeries aren't always 100% successful, so that's probably why he has to contemplate what he wants to do. It's not unheard of for players to opt not to have surgery for a chronic problem, and as a result have their level of play be less than what is expected. I don't think he has any reason to lie about this and use the injury as an excuse for his poor play lol.

Whether he's elite or not doesn't really factor into this.

29Beast97Mode

Jul 25, 2020
Vancouver
hfboards.mandatory.com
Dont get the klefbom hate in this thread. If he was injured and never playing everyone would call him overpaid and worthless, but he tries to play through the injuries and everybody says he's worthless and shouldn't bother playing. He has a steal of a contract long term and he is a top 4 guy on most teams in the league. No point dragging on him when the entire team consistently chokes.

Reactions: Paralyzer008

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He had surgery before, and it's probably the same injury. Surgeries aren't always 100% successful, so that's probably why he has to contemplate what he wants to do. It's not unheard of for players to opt not to have surgery for a chronic problem, and as a result have their level of play be less than what is expected. I don't think he has any reason to lie about this and use the injury as an excuse for his poor play lol.

Whether he's elite or not doesn't really factor into this.

Well, how many times do "bone spurs" surgery allow complete recovery? Bone spurs are indicative of some of other problem. It is treating a symptom, not the cause, and how those bone spurs occurred in the first place. For most even normal people with bone spurs in a joint, its really bad news, and it impacts your activity.

Shoulder bone spurs are notoriously problematic. Really they often occur because of instability in the shoulder joint itself. This article is well written indepth information that is possibly what Klefbom is facing.

Treating bone spurs in the shoulder is difficult. Even with surgery. – Caring Medical

So the problem is that the rigors of pro sport, particularly hockey, and being a D, its very hard for someone with this condition to continue to perform in that professional role because you just keep injuring yourself, you keep deteriorating the joint and shoulder, and then recurrence of bone spurs with the same root shoulder problems.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Well, I guess we have some LTIR space to use on OEL.

thats the way I’m looking at it. One door closes and another opens. Let’s face the facts, Klefbom is a walking band aid and I’m a fan of him
Now I can still see a move with Russell and/or Benning. Maybe we could land OEL and possibly another dman but that money will probably be spent on a winger for McDavid

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
Where are all the galaxy brain Klefbom fan boys?

trAde NuRsE
BUilD arOuNd KlEf

Dude has been injured and out, or playing through injury, for four seasons now. Give it a f***ing rest.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If Broberg keeps up his play, he'll basically be coming to camp right after a dominant draft+2 season.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for him to be a solid second pairing guy(and better than Jones who I think gets a little overrated by his numbers against Benning levels of sheltered competition) by then.

Yes it's out of the realm. When has he dominated the SHL?
Jones has a lot of pro experience on North American ice and provided the Oilers with some solid games last year, some playing over 20 minutes with the injuries. There's a very small chance that Broberg is a better NHLer right now than Jones.

People are starting to really overrate Broberg based on a few nice games in a Training Camp and a few nice games to start off the SHL season. He still has a ways to go to prove that he's even remotely NHL ready. He's on the right track but lets pump the brakes a bit.

Reactions: bone

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I would think it would be used on a 1 year Barrie deal, more than an OEL deal.
I agree. How about once, just once, the Oilers give “buying low” a try instead of paying a premium just before the wheels fall off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad