Kitchener Rangers 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Doubt either makes pro next season. Hell of a step up from junior. As a long time Bruin fan l I think if Poitras doesn't put up a lot more points over time before Christmas he will be back in Guelph. I thought Schmitd was a goner and he is back. Anyhow we can fret all we want about trades and losing players. The crystal ball is in MM's hands. We just basically throw stuff out and hope it happens.:)
Nobody but nobody thought we’d lose Boedker, Skinner or Morin early either.

Just sayin’.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Nobody but nobody thought we’d lose Boedker, Skinner or Morin early either.

Just sayin’.
True Even but it's up to MM to decide whatever direction the team takes. They are in a spot where it's damned if you do and damned if you don't. I wouldn't want to make the decisions they are up against. My hockey opinion means diddly squat here or anywhere else. I hope the team can go forward similar to Ottawa last year at the deadline where they kept most of their squad intact without giving up too much. I'm just happy to be watching Ranger games where you know they have a chance to win any given game at this point in time.

Reactions: GeoBlue and RB76

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Wow what a draft we had for the 2007 players. Seven players signed and really good ones, best in a really long time.........

Regarding 2022 ('06's) vs 2023 ('07's) draft, talk about two ends of the spectrum. In all my years of following the drafts I have never seen this quality drafted in the first 7 picks. Nice to add Arquette and Edwards.

I've gone from following the top 4 players in the 2024 draft, to trying to guess who is going to be available later in round 1. At this point - at least in viewing the standings as of today - it is possible that it may be good that the Rangers own the 2nd and 3rd rounders of other teams.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Watching the video the team posted, it sounds like Arquette will get some games this year. Im guessing this Saturday in Windsor since he’s from there.
Ranger have had some success with smaller player.
Arquette has a strong lower half where he doesn’t get bumped off the puck easily.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Regarding 2022 ('06's) vs 2023 ('07's) draft, talk about two ends of the spectrum. In all my years of following the drafts I have never seen this quality drafted in the first 7 picks. Nice to add Arquette and Edwards.

I've gone from following the top 4 players in the 2024 draft, to trying to guess who is going to be available later in round 1. At this point - at least in viewing the standings as of today - it is possible that it may be good that the Rangers own the 2nd and 3rd rounders of other teams.
We took a couple flyers in the ‘23 draft as well. LJ Mooney may be the best player we selected in the whole draft.

But these flyers are NCAA committed. But with this coaching staff, this team’s turnaround, you never know. We may have more success getting some of these guys to report again like we did back in the DeBoer / Spott days.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Any chance some of these guys end up as trade bait?
I assume MM will explore every option. If, going into the WJC, if we’re still riding high in the standings, I’m betting MM will try to contend.

The depth and quality of the ‘23 draft will make it much easier to move a 1st rounder in January. And MM has moved a 1st rounder before to contend.

I still say my hypothetical two parter could work.

Process of elimination means trading Martin.
Especially with Swick’s play of late.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Doubt either makes pro next season. Hell of a step up from junior. As a long time Bruin fan l I think if Poitras doesn't put up a lot more points over time before Christmas he will be back in Guelph. I thought Schmitd was a goner and he is back. Anyhow we can fret all we want about trades and losing players. The crystal ball is in MM's hands. We just basically throw stuff out and hope it happens.:)
Unfortunately a lot of times salary cap restraints are the reason young players are kept on the roster instead of vets. Pretty sure that's the case with Poitras. I'm unsure of Seattle's cap situation for next season.

Reactions: TheBlueMonster

Matttheleaf

Apr 18, 2019
What are some peoples thoughts on Rahkopf perhaps being invited and maybe even making the world junior roster? I know its extremely difficult to make the team as a 19 year old, let alone an 18 year old, but when you have scored the second most goals and have the 4th most points in the entire CHL that must at least get you an invite to the pre-tournement camp.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
What are some peoples thoughts on Rahkopf perhaps being invited and maybe even making the world junior roster? I know its extremely difficult to make the team as a 19 year old, let alone an 18 year old, but when you have scored the second most goals and have the 4th most points in the entire CHL that must at least get you an invite to the pre-tournement camp.
He should be an invite, would Parsons be on the radar also for Team Canada? I suspect missing last yr will make it tough.
Hunter B should get an invite to Team USA and Mesar to Slovakia.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
With these signings it feels like they are following the development plan of the Knights. Sign the kids let them develop in the lower junior leagues while still providing team services and having them play some games. We all know the struggles this team has had in the development, maybe the Kyrzakos effect?

RB76

Aug 22, 2023
Repost: “I don’t see Kitchener selling anymore. That may have been the plan but they are playing incredibly well. Next year they will be able to recoup their entire draft holes by dealing Rehkopf, Andonovski and Misaljevic.”

A little help? If we go for it by trading picks and a first rounder this year, how are we going to be able to recoup our draft capital next year by dealing Rehkopf, Ando and Misal?

IMO it’s entirely possible that our team would be just as strong next year, putting us in much the same position and making it very difficult to sell off.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
He deserves an invite. But there have been top scorers in the past not get a sniff, here and there, over the years.

Peter Sarno back in the day is a good example. Sheldon Keefe too, but we know why he didn’t get an invite.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
A little help? If we go for it by trading picks and a first rounder this year, how are we going to be able to recoup our draft capital next year by dealing Rehkopf, Ando and Misal?

IMO it’s entirely possible that our team would be just as strong next year, putting us in much the same position and making it very difficult to sell off.
I doubt we’d be just as strong next year.

No Brzustewicz. He drives the offence. We don’t have a D who could fills his shoes. That would be a huge hole to fill.

The 07’s, as a group, would be better but likely a year away from playing top roles.

Our 05 group will be the 19 year old group. After Rehkopf and Andonovski, the quality drops.

I mean, there could be some players that could explode unexpectedly, like Miseljevic did this year, but I’d expect a bit of a down year next year if MM decided to contend this year.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017

No Brzustewicz. He drives the offence. We don’t have a D who could fills his shoes. That would be a huge hole to fill.

The 07’s, as a group, would be better but likely a year away from playing top roles.

Our 05 group will be the 19 year old group. After Rehkopf and Andonovski, the quality drops.

I mean, there could be some players that could explode unexpectedly, like Miseljevic did this year, but I’d expect a bit of a down year next year if MM decided to contend this year.

I've got a brain cramp here. I'm sure there is an off-season trade window, is there not ? If so, I'd trade Rehkopf then in order to avoid the "risk of over-achieving" and having the difficult buy / sell decisions such as this year ! ;) :) .

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

Even, Reid may be Brzustewicz next year. With a proper coach we may start to see players develop properly instead of flat lining for 3 or more years.

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
Even, Reid may be Brzustewicz next year. With a proper coach we may start to see players develop properly instead of flat lining for 3 or more years.

Sorry but Reid isn’t going to lead all D in points next year….not even close. As a 19 year old he might have that potential if he continues to develop. But no way is he close to what Bruz is doing this year.

We are losing Hunter, Schimdt and Motew…that’s 3 of our top 4 D. Losing Sop, Mesar and Martin.

Next year no matter if we buy or sell this year will be a trade off year.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Next year would be too early for that I think. At absolute best, he’d be last year’s version of Brzustewicz. And MM felt to contend, he had to bring in Lleyton Moore.

RB76

Aug 22, 2023
We could be like Mississauga next year, a year ahead of schedule, but good enough to compete. We have Parsons, Ando/Reid, Campbell/Mcneil as our top 4D. Top line intact with Swick/Razor/Misal. Assuming we make a trade for an upgrade this year, second line could be Lam/New Guy/Elinas, with bottom six all a year older and better.

Reactions: bobber

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Sorry but Reid isn’t going to lead all D in points next year….not even close. As a 19 year old he might have that potential if he continues to develop. But no way is he close to what Bruz is doing this year.

We are losing Hunter, Schimdt and Motew…that’s 3 of our top 4 D. Losing Sop, Mesar and Martin.

Next year no matter if we buy or sell this year will be a trade off year.
We don’t have the picks to complete an Owen Beck type deal where that player comes back next year, unless we do it in such a manner that it’s a two-part deal where a Rehkopf goes the other way in the off season. (My hypothetical two parter)

We don’t have the picks to acquire veteran help. Only way we can acquire significant veteran help, is by moving a first rounder.

I am not in favour of trading a first round pick for a player that will graduate after this year. If we’re going to improve this team this year, we need to do it in such a way that also helps the future.

Our ill advised spending spree last year has put us in this position. It is what it is.

RB76

Aug 22, 2023
I think there’s a chance we underestimate how this group could continue to develop under this leadership. Dreaming but reminds me of the Bruins, they’re supposed to fall off every year but keep plugging in players into a system that keeps them extremely competitive.

Reactions: Ranger77 and bobber

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I think there’s a chance we underestimate how this group could continue to develop under this leadership. Dreaming but reminds me of the Bruins, they’re supposed to fall off every year but keep plugging in players into a system that keeps them extremely competitive.
RB76 I agree. Jussi and his staff will get more out of these players than we have seen here in the coaching merry go round in years. Not sure he is Deboer level because of the short window of time but he certainly has changed the narrative here. He has caught the eye of a lot of hockey prognosticators that had the Rangers at the bottom of the standings. I am sure any changes MM makes this year or next he will be involved heavily in the decision. He seems to have a handle on the potential skill level of every player on the team and their flaws. Not one to hand out praise unless it's deserved.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017

True, but in order to have similar success, sooner or later MM needs to plug in all those missing draft picks that vanished last year. In a given year(s), if your top 3 picks are a 1st, 4th and 6th (just as an example), your going to have to see even greater miracles happen on the ice than what we're seeing in the standings this year IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad