Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazyboy

Sponsor
May 24, 2010
Wallaceburg, Ontario
Pretty sure I will have 2 extra tickets for the game in Sarnia on Sunday. If anyone is going to make the road trip and is interested DM me. No charge and I will try to let you know for certain by Thursday or at the latest by Friday. First come, first served basis

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Another win last night. To put it in perspective they were lucky Constantini was on his game. Rangers lost some of their juice from the second period on. The Storm is a rebuilding team that traded off their top players. MM was pleased they won but seemed concerned about the chances they gave up. He referred to their previous practice basically saying it wasn't up to parr. Not all practices run smoothly. The Storm have a great base to work with going forward. Lots of picks in their cupboard to make the appropriate trades to bolster their line up going forward next season.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
For a team that was demolished by Flint on the weekend, Guelph did not play like the team they were prior to that embarrassing loss. Rangers did the right thing and scored two goals to quieten them down a bit.

Then in the 2nd period, two careless Rangers penalties followed by a colour blind Cairns/Faist who called 5 penalties versus 1 for Guelph (despite some obvious infractions). Rangers just didn't get it back in gear. Then Guelph struck quickly in the 3rd and much of that final period often looked like a TimBits game. It wasn't the finest hockey for either team.

Can't happen with OS on Friday and then the trial of the season against Windsor and Sarnia. Must play 60 minutes.

Reactions: bobber

Jives

Jan 6, 2018
I think if you can get 2 wins this weekend thats a success but 1 of those wins has to come against OS who we are trying to catch. That 2pm Sarnia game is going to be really tough.

The last 6 games after this weekend if you want a chance at 5th place they need to go 5-1. 3 of those 6 games are teams in 4th to 7th place we are trying to catch. 2 are lower teams in Erie and Kingston that you simply can’t lose if trying to move up and we finish the season against London which might be a huge game for where we finish in the standings.

It’s too bad the start of season was so crap because they are right there fighting for 5th after such a loooooong bad start.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
This is not going to be easy though the playoff jockeying is fun to watch. Owen Sound loses last night making Friday's game all the more important. Flint beat the lowly Otters so all we can hope for is that Erie gets all fired up over the loss and takes it out on Saginaw tonight. It would be great to see the Rangers sweep the weekend but with that game against Owen Sound and then games against Windsor and Sarnia........Ouch! I hope they bought a few extra cases of energy drinks! Especially against Sarnia who will be a 3rd game in 2.5 days and is on a bit of a roll.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
We sat through some years of mediocre hockey down at the Aud but the most exciting hockey was the play offs. Many around us would not buy tickets for the post season. They missed the best part of the season. There is a different attitude in the air when every game means something regardless of how skilled the Rangers are. They all step up when games are on the line. I never thought the Rangers would be scraping the bottom of the standings at this time of year. It makes them bigger under dogs and these are the teams opposing team under estimate. Sometimes all you need is a goalie standing on his head and some timely goals. We saw that before somewhere. ;)

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
It's looking like even if Hage had reported, he may not have been available until whoever we get with the compensation pick will be available to play for us. Missing an entire season to injury is pretty rough.
Yeah you’re right about that. Missing the season due to injury. I guess we can ask Parsons and Fishman about that.

But, had Hage reported, that particular injury likely doesn’t happen. Meaning the circumstance leading to the injury doesn’t occur because he’s have been in Ranger blue and not on the ice pad where the injury occurred.

You know what they say about if’s and but’s.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
The team is playing really good and rolling right now. The rest of this weekend will be the measuring stick. Windsor and Sarnia.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I think I'd probably sit the Captain for the rest of the period after a turnover like that, leading to a SH goal.
Pinelli does seem to make those bad decisions every once in a while. Hopefully the kinks get worked out before the playoffs.

The team looked good but as I said previously, the real test comes in the next couple of games. If we can take one of 2, that will be huge. Personally, hoping to jump on Windsor today as taking Sarnia, with the roll they have been on, on a 3rd game in 2.5 days might be a bit too challenging. The trickiest part in our climb in the standings might be to finish either 4th, 5th or, um, 7th!

Rehkopf was on a roll last night and you could definitely see he was having fun. Came close several times to getting the hatty. Nice to see Missile back and score one on a nice redirect. Arcuri and Sop keep on scoring. Great to see Hollett moved up to the 3rd line and standing his ground for his team mates. Also good to see the 4th line getting more ice time, especially on the last couple of power plays, when the game was in hand near the end of the 3rd.

My favourite part of the game? Many may have missed this one but we were up close and sort of saw what was going on. At one point near the end of the game, one of the Sarnia players skated up to Morey and gave him a bump. Morey kind of looked up at him and started laughing at him. Then I think it was Missile skated by and Morey seemed to tell him what was going on an broke out into a full out, mouth wide laughter. LOL! Almost had me cracking up! The Sarnia player didn't like it and on the ensuing play tried to rub out Missile into the boards.

Anyone know what is up with Zhilkin?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
I believe the TV guys said Zhilkin has some flu like symptoms. Not related to Covid. Rangers capitalized on their scoring chances last night for sure. Still giving up some bloopers defensively having the goalie bail them out. Mesar had a great game and was flying around out there. Rehkopf finally got the monkey off his back. Martin and Misaljevic also scored. Rangers are going to need secondary scoring to compete with teams higher up in the standings to have any hope. I find when Pinelli and Acuri are going the Rangers chances of winning go up. Owen Sound had trouble containing these two last night.

Mar 12, 2009
Outside of a few weak back checks, Mesar looked really good tonight. When Pinelli wasn't on the powerplay, it was still running really well with shorter movement and longer, harder passes going through Brz and Mesar. Might be beneficial to put Pinelli on PP2 and have 2 units that are strong.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
The team is playing really good and rolling right now. The rest of this weekend will be the measuring stick. Windsor and Sarnia.
It’ll be big to get 2 of 4 points. We’ll be starting Vandenberg in one game (likely tonight vs high flying Windsor) then back to Costantini vs Sarnia in our third in 2.5 days vs a rested Sarnia team.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Zhilkin was sick. Thankfully not an injury.

As for that shortie by Barlow, everyone makes mistakes...even Pinelli. He more than made up for it with his goal and two assists. He currently sits 9th in the OHL Top 10 for points with Arcuri at #10.

Still lots of room for improvement but the confidence and positive energy of the Rangers are evident on the ice. And they answered back every time OS scored. It was an 8-3 beat down with some great effort by our lower lines. Rehkopf was on fire and made quick work of putting the puck in the net.

And there was a WAVE last night by the fans.......with at least three times around the rink. I'm not sure if I've ever seen that and if so, it was long enough ago that I don't remember. But it was fun. Imagine....fun....something that's been missing nearly all season.

Now if the boys can just forget about this game and focus on taking at least one of two against two VERY good teams. It's going to take everything they have and more.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I think I'd probably sit the Captain for the rest of the period after a turnover like that, leading to a SH goal.
I understand what you are saying but when you are an offensive player like Pinelli you have to accept the fact that he will make mistakes. If you want all of the offensive players to play a much more safe game and avoid turnovers then it will be a much lower scoring team.

If you have a player like Pinelli who say makes 5 mistakes a year leading to goals that we causes by him that sounds bad. Yet at the same time his higher risk plays have resulted in 15 goals. When you are a net positive 10 goals on the year you have to accept it.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Question - was that last reviewed O.S. goal legit (that would have made the score 7-4) ? The Rogers crew played an overhead replay that clearly showed it was in. However, I don't know if that was the correct clip because it was identical to the previous one that was reviewed.....I mean that the puck took the absolute same path as the one that was reviewed and was allowed. If that 2nd one was actually a different clip then I would have to say that was one-in-a-million occurrence......at least with my old eyes :) .

Reactions: dirty12
Mar 12, 2009
I understand what you are saying but when you are an offensive player like Pinelli you have to accept the fact that he will make mistakes. If you want all of the offensive players to play a much more safe game and avoid turnovers then it will be a much lower scoring team.

If you have a player like Pinelli who say makes 5 mistakes a year leading to goals that we causes by him that sounds bad. Yet at the same time his higher risk plays have resulted in 15 goals. When you are a net positive 10 goals on the year you have to accept it.
I'm well aware, but at the time of the post it was about 5 minutes into the game and the captain makes one of this teams patented lazy turnovers leading to an SH goal. He didn't do much for the next 10 minutes so I don't think it would have hurt us that bad to sit him for 1 period as a message to others.

Say what you will, but anyone who still thinks fondly of the Deboer era knows what would happen in a situation like that when this organization was a winner.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Question - was that last reviewed O.S. goal legit (that would have made the score 7-4) ? The Rogers crew played an overhead replay that clearly showed it was in. However, I don't know if that was the correct clip because it was identical to the previous one that was reviewed.....I mean that the puck took the absolute same path as the one that was reviewed and was allowed. If that 2nd one was actually a different clip then I would have to say that was one-in-a-million occurrence......at least with my old eyes :) .
Not sure what you mean. The reviewed goad counted and that made it 7-3. The play went on and the Rangers got a penalty to stop the play. But after the review, they spent some time getting the clock back to where it needed to be and the penalty was cancelled. (Because the clock was turned back and the penalty never happened. LOL!)

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Not sure what you mean. The reviewed goad counted and that made it 7-3. The play went on and the Rangers got a penalty to stop the play. But after the review, they spent some time getting the clock back to where it needed to be and the penalty was cancelled. (Because the clock was turned back and the penalty never happened. LOL!)

Ok, so here's a question: When a situation develops as described, and the penalty happens to be a major one with possibly suspension consequences, does that get wiped out due to the clock being wound back ??? I doubt that would occur, but I could be wrong.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Ok, so here's a question: When a situation develops as described, and the penalty happens to be a major one with possibly suspension consequences, does that get wiped out due to the clock being wound back ??? I doubt that would occur, but I could be wrong.
I do believe there are different circumstances but I could be wrong. But I seem to recall a game where something similar happened but the penalty stood because it was more serious in nature. I think we have to pull the rule book on this one.

Here it is ...........Sec 5 Rule 37.2

Any penalties signaled during the period of time between the
apparent goal and the next stoppage of play shall be assessed in the
normal manner, except when a minor penalty is to be assessed to the
team scored upon, and is therefore nullified by the scoring of the goal.
Refer to Rules 16.2 and 18.2. If an infraction happens after the first
stoppage of play following an apparent goal (infraction after the
whistle) by either team, it is assessed and served in the normal
manner regardless as to the decision rendered by Video Review.

Last edited:

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017

Geo - You are correct. The 3rd OS goal counted after the review, making it 7-3. But just before the Rangers scored their 8th goal - I believe it was actually just moments before - OS rang another one off the iron. No goal light went on, the Rangers score #8 very soon after. They go to center ice. The OS goal is reviewed and declared no goal, so the Ranger goal stands.

The Rogers crew later show an overhead of the that OS goal that didn't get counted, but it looked identical to the Attack's 3rd goal - which was clearly in. So I was thinking they got mixed up and showed the 3rd goal on the replay - not the (apparently) phantom 4th goal.

I could just simply be in LA LA Land, in which case you can just ignore my post - LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad