Kitchener Rangers 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
My point is that STM’s that are true fans would support the team in the playoffs whether a 1 seed or an 8th seed. That is my opinion only.
I do see your point. We bought the playoff tickets and if the Rangers got put out by an opponent early the rest of the money paid out for the playoffs went towards the next seasons tickets. Rangers got beat out by London once I believe in the first round but the hockey atmosphere was incredible. Plus we had a bunch of wild Irishmen take up the seats around us that STH gave up. I thought the Vikings moved in. They were quite entertaining. You would have thought they were die hard Ranger fans for years. :)

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Latest update............

1678959705614.png

We are slipping, slipping slipping. Shows how vital all these head to head games are. We will pretty much have to go on another streak to have any shot at 5th as every team ahead of us now control their own destiny with regard to staying ahead of the Rangers. Saginaw finishing 4th is pretty much a given at this point but it would be nice to take 2 from them Friday night.

Survey question..........which fans are the most upset? Fans such as the Rangers who think the team should have sold off this season and are now struggling in the bottom half of the standings? Or fans such as the Bulldogs who sold off and could very well have been sitting in 1st place at this time of the year?

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeylegend11

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Latest update............

View attachment 669956

We are slipping, slipping slipping. Shows how vital all these head to head games are. We will pretty much have to go on another streak to have any shot at 5th as every team ahead of us now control their own destiny with regard to staying ahead of the Rangers. Saginaw finishing 4th is pretty much a given at this point but it would be nice to take 2 from them Friday night.

Survey question..........which fans are the most upset? Fans such as the Rangers who think the team should have sold off this season and are now struggling in the bottom half of the standings? Or fans such as the Bulldogs who sold off and could very well have been sitting in 1st place at this time of the year?
Fans of the Rangers should be the most upset. On a year when they had a mediocre team with a horrendous start leading up to the deadline MM cleans out the draft cupboard. His decision to go for it cost the Rangers a shot at the first overall pick in the up coming draft. With 2 picks in the draft they would have a nice rebuild started. Instead here we are in 8th spot spinning our wheels. The teams they are trying to overcome are in rebuild. Hamilton fans are happy with the asset management they have achieved in the last few seasons. Two championships and a full draft cupboard going forward. Compare the two squads and ask yourself which team is a success and what team looks like they screwed the pooch?;)

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Fans of the Rangers should be the most upset. On a year when they had a mediocre team with a horrendous start leading up to the deadline MM cleans out the draft cupboard. His decision to go for it cost the Rangers a shot at the first overall pick in the up coming draft. With 2 picks in the draft they would have a nice rebuild started. Instead here we are in 8th spot spinning our wheels. The teams they are trying to overcome are in rebuild. Hamilton fans are happy with the asset management they have achieved in the last few seasons. Two championships and a full draft cupboard going forward. Compare the two squads and ask yourself which team is a success and what team looks like they screwed the pooch?;)
Yes, but I feel that Hamilton had a legitimate shot at the Mem Cup this year. Keep in mind if that if they had held on to their guns, the other contenders would of had to look elsewhere. Also throw in the fact that Hamilton has had Ottawa's number this year. I know it's only speculation but they might have very well had a Memorial Cup championship had they gone a different direction.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
..........Survey question..........which fans are the most upset? Fans such as the Rangers who think the team should have sold off this season and are now struggling in the bottom half of the standings? Or fans such as the Bulldogs who sold off and could very well have been sitting in 1st place at this time of the year?

You can't help but be impressed with what Hamilton is doing. They have refilled the draft cupboard while moving along their rebuild very nicely and quickly. Ottawa and London also seem to do this well, and also acquire the right pieces without giving up a lot of assets when they do go for it. Windsor might be another example of good drafting and asset management.

I think it may have been an article in the Record that had suggested that Kitchener, having emptied the cupboard, could do as Hamilton has done restocking theirs. I still believe that thinking is apples-oranges. Hamilton had a lot more available returning talent to trade this season....and now, the assets they had received, seem to already be paying dividends.

In a previous post I had roughly indicated of what we have returning next year - as we know today. While I would personally say it looks pretty bleak, I'm sure MM could, and perhaps will add to the line-up an experienced body or two....but that would come at a cost, meaning removing assets from the cupboard. Maybe some of the returnees will surprise. I admit Sop is one example who has completely surprised me this year. Good for him. To repeat my opinion on him from a previous post, if he returns as an OA and doesn't get traded, he will be one of our key players on this team next season.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Yes, but I feel that Hamilton had a legitimate shot at the Mem Cup this year. Keep in mind if that if they had held on to their guns, the other contenders would of had to look elsewhere. Also throw in the fact that Hamilton has had Ottawa's number this year. I know it's only speculation but they might have very well had a Memorial Cup championship had they gone a different direction.
Geo you are correct in your assumption that Hamilton had a golden opportunity with the players they traded away. I was surprised at the talent they had at their disposal before and leading up to the deadline. Guess they looked at the draft cupboard and decided what they thought was the best avenue going forward. Guess they know when to fold em'. Too bad they have to pull up stakes and move but its the same management that brought them success going to Brantford.

Reactions: rangersblues

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Geo you are correct in your assumption that Hamilton had a golden opportunity with the players they traded away. I was surprised at the talent they had at their disposal before and leading up to the deadline. Guess they looked at the draft cupboard and decided what they thought was the best avenue going forward. Guess they know when to fold em'. Too bad they have to pull up stakes and move but its the same management that brought them success going to Brantford.
What confuses me is that the ultimate goal is to win the Memorial Cup, right? Any team. I feel Hamilton was there. And what are they rebuilding for? The Memorial Cup!

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
You can't help but be impressed with what Hamilton is doing. They have refilled the draft cupboard while moving along their rebuild very nicely and quickly. Ottawa and London also seem to do this well, and also acquire the right pieces without giving up a lot of assets when they do go for it. Windsor might be another example of good drafting and asset management.

I think it may have been an article in the Record that had suggested that Kitchener, having emptied the cupboard, could do as Hamilton has done restocking theirs. I still believe that thinking is apples-oranges. Hamilton had a lot more available returning talent to trade this season....and now, the assets they had received, seem to already be paying dividends.

In a previous post I had roughly indicated of what we have returning next year - as we know today. While I would personally say it looks pretty bleak, I'm sure MM could, and perhaps will add to the line-up an experienced body or two....but that would come at a cost, meaning removing assets from the cupboard. Maybe some of the returnees will surprise. I admit Sop is one example who has completely surprised me this year. Good for him. To repeat my opinion on him from a previous post, if he returns as an OA and doesn't get traded, he will be one of our key players on this team next season.
Sop is an intelligent player . He does go to the net and scores some nifty goals. I just hope it's not an Old Mother Hubbard deal after they move a few assets next year. MM certainly has his work cut out. There are some skilled players in the next draft. Hope MM doesn't waiver and picks a couple in the first round that are willing to sign with the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gondrex

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
What confuses me is that the ultimate goal is to win the Memorial Cup, right? Any team. I feel Hamilton was there. And what are they rebuilding for? The Memorial Cup!
Geo I see your point. Hamilton had a shot for sure at the OHL this season but did they have the picks to bolster their line up at the deadline ? The Mem Cup is said to be the most difficult cup to win in sports. A team has to win their division, conference and league then beat the other league champs. Their are no assurances. I guess they wanted to retool and go for it again in a year or two. MM said this is what the Ranger plan is and this was the year to go for it in an interview before he fired Dennis. He is still sitting in the same spot Dennis was because the teams above win games also.

Reactions: Gondrex

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Sorry but I respectfully disagree. Lardis and Panwar would not be there to begin with as they came back as part of the selloff. Hamilton may have been slightly better off than the Rangers before all the trades but I don't think they even had near the assets left for trading to make a push after last season.

What they did was put themselves in a great position to make a run for a 3rd OHL championship in just a few years. Much better choice than taking a stab at it this year with a team that as it turns has overachieved.

Reactions: EvenSteven

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Sorry but I respectfully disagree. Lardis and Panwar would not be there to begin with as they came back as part of the selloff. Hamilton may have been slightly better off than the Rangers before all the trades but I don't think they even had near the assets left for trading to make a push after last season.

What they did was put themselves in a great position to make a run for a 3rd OHL championship in just a few years. Much better choice than taking a stab at it this year with a team that as it turns has overachieved.
That's okay, you're allowed to disagree! LOL! I'm just looking at the team they did have and they looked pretty solid for a run without a lot of tinkering. Sure, they have Lardis (Great pickup!) and Panwar (Gone next year) now but they gave up Avery Hayes and Gavin White for them. Also gone are George Diaco, Ryan Humphrey and Ryan Winterton who are playing big roles as to where London is right now. Then you have Logan Morrison and Constantini? That's a lot of experience and a pretty solid team to me compared to what the other leading teams have right now.

They definitely filled their cupboards and gotten younger with the trades they made and they look pretty good for a run in a few years. I just find it an interesting scenario. And should things not work out in a few years, they might be looking back at 2023 wondering what could have been.

Reactions: rangersblues

donjohnson

Jan 29, 2013
Survey question..........which fans are the most upset?
There's still a lot of delusional Saginaw fans on our "fan nation" facebook group that are still very upset and think we had enough talent to win it all without trading. Those people of course don't realize that we had an easy 1st half schedule and other teams had assets to load up. I'm the opposite...we built for the future (Haight, Sima, Guo), got a ton of picks for Mintuykov, didn't lose any young players and we're controlling our own destiny for home ice in the playoffs.

I think Flint fans should be the most upset...they should have been a wagon this year (Othman, Lombardi, Piercy, etc.) and they're going to be most likely starting on the road in the playoffs and if they slip in these last two weeks (as unlikely as it is), they'll lose 4-1 in a series with Sarnia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad