Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
I'll always think of Don at any Rangers game I watch or listen to. We Rangers fans had the beautiful benefit of listening to one of the greatest, classiest, down to earth and talented gentlemen call our games. I'll miss seeing him at games but I think his presence will always be felt at the Audand wherever the Rangers play.

Reactions: zman77

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Talked to Don at practice a few times in the past. Not many had more knowledge of OHL hockey than Don. He loved the players and you would never want to say anything negative about a player when he was around.
What an amazing career. Started doing broadcasts in 1956 if I read correctly.
Ranger fans are going to miss this legend.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
I think Don got me interested in hockey. I remember listening to him on the radio as a mere child. Did not actually meet him until he retired. A charitable man, it was at one of the Aud entrances during Potato night. I do hope they keep this going in his memory. A legend that got an obit on TSN. Rest in Peace, Mr. Cameron.

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
A remarkable, generous man. Many of us could only wish we leave this world having done half of what he has accomplished / given back to society. He will be missed.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
ncZaVJYA_bigger.jpg
Mike Stubbs‏Verified account @stubbs980 8h8 hours ago

Thank you to Don Cameron for the passion, professionalism and class he
brought to every day. He will remain an inspiration for anyone who is
given the privilege to speak into a microphone.

Reactions: SYWTom

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Looks like Joseph Serpa will be spending a season down in Junior B. The Rookie Center has signed a 16 year old card to play with the Waterloo Siskins.

Reactions: BenchedGuy

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Looks like Joseph Serpa will be spending a season down in Junior B. The Rookie Center has signed a 16 year old card to play with the Waterloo Siskins.
I suspect this could be a numbers game for Serpa with the OHL rules of being able just to have our sixteen yr olds on the team (yes, this can be massged to get him into games). I thought he was one of the better players in the Gold Cup back in May.
Other 16 yr old players signed by the Rangers: Valade and Langdon.
16 yr old draftees who could slide in front of Serpa if they sign: Serbrango and McDonnell

Last edited:

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
The public can pay respect to Don Cameron during visitation at the Aud this coming Thursday June 14th from 5:00pm to 9:00pm.
A private visitation is being held Friday.

Reactions: SebJHockey

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I suspect this could be a numbers game for Serpa with the OHL rules of being able just to have our sixteen yr olds on the team (yes, this can be massged to get him into games). I thought he was one of the better players in the Gold Cup back in May.
16 yr old draftees which would slide in front of Serpa if they sign: Serbrango and McDonnell

He still likely signs with the Rangers, could even crack the team out of camp. The nice thing is, there is no pressure now won either party. Rangers have options with him now, they've got a local junior b team to send him too.

I am excited to see what he can do in Junior B on a team that is making a push!

Reactions: Ward Cornell

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
16 yr old draftees who could slide in front of Serpa if they sign: Serbrango and McDonnell
Serpa needs at least a year in Jr B. Very slight player who’d get banged up as a first year ohl rookie

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Serpa needs at least a year in Jr B. Very slight player who’d get banged up as a first year ohl rookie
I agree with this. Watched him at the Gold Cup. He certainly has some skill but his size is a concern presently. Rangers will have quite a few smaller players going into next season and for me could use an injection of size when you look at the players we lost to graduation.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Definitely would like to see some sandpaper added up front. Lost a lot of our hitters besides little Petizian this offseason.

A strong forecheck is key, and IMO guys that can lay big hits are very valuable at the OHL level.
Example: Sherwood and Smith last season, Bunnaman sometimes

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
And, can the import draft at least be sooner, missing the games already. Craving some more news

Edit: Josh Brown says Jake Henderson is going to Ryerson this upcoming season. (Yeah, I’m desperate for news)

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
If you are craving any type of news....
Former Ranger Dan Kelly has been added to the Kitchener Dutchmens coaching staff.

Other former Rangers news
Mike Davies to Wilfred Laurier
Mason Kohn to Queens
Jacob Cascagnette to U of Waterloo
I wish these announcements were more prevalent since it can be a very useful tool in recruiting players.
Having a wall with CIS Rangers grads on it would be interesting to see. Maybe even have an award (Jim Quinn Award??) or some sort of recognition upon their graduation for university/college or a trade!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad