Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Bobber get off of this Garreffa a forward playing D train. It left the station. NHL teams will invite him as a D, but I guess NHL teams are lining up at your door to hire you as a scout.
Honestly it's just wasnt Bobber, it probably was most fans in the 2016-2017 season that had issues with Joesph being on defence. The reasons were two-fold with the number 1 reason (for me) was he has the potential to be a very dynamic forward in the OHL and maybe a Top 10 in points. While last yr on D he did move the puck out of the Rangers end quite nicely via the rush but he was more of a liability on defence against larger players.
Fast forward to this past season and once again he was was jockeyed back and forth with no real position. Every time he was left at forward for a few games in a row he was just becoming into his own then he got moved back on defence again. But near season end and throughout the playoffs his play on defence was outstanding.
Most of us wishes all the players to have a long career in hockey hopefully in pros and if not then in CIS hockey. While you may have a differing opinion on JG playing defence I see him having a lot more yrs ahead of him somewhere in the pros as a forward. By no means is this any putdown of JG, he's a true warrior and team player and all we want for him is to fullfill his dreams and I'm sure Bobber will also echo this sentiment!

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
OverAger is that you??........
I was one as well that question where Joey should be playing and thought his size and being out-muscled in front of the net was not good for him to be on D.

After his impressive playoff performance my only hope is, that McKee and Co. pick either F or D and keep him there to further his development.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
What does disagreeing with you have anything to do with being a Ranger fan? Your knowledge of the game truly reflects a house league mentality, therefore anything I say you wont be able to comprehend .

We don't really do casual arrogance and fly-by ad hominem attacks in this topic. If you'd like to treat people in that fashion, I'd suggest you look elsewhere if you'd like any engagement with your posts.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The thing is I never said anything negative about Joey G. I really enjoy watching him play the game either at forward or on defense. One of my favourite players and we love listening to his interviews because they are entertaining and he always give the team mates credit. I did mention above they were playing a 5'6" forward on defense against the top rated team in Canada but that was a compliment to how well he competed back there .
We as Ranger fans all know his history and that he played defense when he was younger. If that information puts a burr up some guy's butt I certainly can't help him. Might be Don Cherry who knows. Certainly doesn't follow the Rangers. Onward and upward.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Yeah bobber, I wouldn't sweat it. I've learned to tune out juvenile attacks on well-respected posters around here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with calling Joey an F playing on D. Because it's true by just about any measure. I also cringe at the "house league" comment as well. Anyone who uses that as a put-down needs to look in the mirror. As someone who has been extensively involved at all levels of hockey for a long, long time, I can honestly say most of the nicest and most intelligent people I have ever encountered were in house league. Many of whom knew a lot more about hockey (and how to treat others) than any of the AAA people I worked with. But that's just an aside.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Was looking at potential lineups going next season, especially with our new prospects signed, but on a side note does anyone know what the story is with Guest? Only asking because of the discrepancies of the stories at the end of the playoffs. Was he ill or not happy with the team (or visa versa)?

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Was looking at potential lineups going next season, especially with our new prospects signed, but on a side note does anyone know what the story is with Guest? Only asking because of the discrepancies of the stories at the end of the playoffs. Was he ill or not happy with the team (or visa versa)?
Not going to go back and check who started the rumour but I'm going to run with his health for now.
During playoffs they tends to be an onslaught trolls and other "people in the know" who throw stuff out there to get their jollies.
If it is his health (as reported by people who are truly in the know) lets hope it's nothing serious. Hockey wise I don't think we are concerned about this but more on a personnel basis.

Last edited:
Reactions: BenchedGuy

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Alright I will give this a shot and others can shoot me down as needed :nod:
I will make the assumption that Hall is the only one we think is going to return. This is with present signed players. I do think a trade or 3 is coming still but will wait until that happens.

McHugh - Damiani - Meireles (keep them together on 1st or 2nd line)
Liska - Hugg - Garreffa (1st or 2nd line)
Yantsis - Guest - Valade (Guest is my question mark for 3rd or 4th line)
Petizian - Langdon - Treesor
Gordon -

Hall - Vukojevic
Vallati - Gentles
York - Trade or prospect yet to be signed from Main Camp

Richardson
Pfeil

** Disclaimers **
Forwards - I do think Langdon will get more ice time and would like to see him on the 3rd line. Really the same thing for Petizian. Guest is my guy that would drop to 4th line due to lack of playing time to develop. But until main camp starts, this is where I see the forwards projected.

D - This is where I think mgmt needs to figure out is Garreffa a F or a D. In my projected lineup, you could put him in the top 4 and slide Gentles down. Petersen is gone I feel.

G - I see McGonigle as the odd man out because of his age.

OA - Hall and Gentles to start with leaving a spot in case Bunnaman or Mascherin are returned (doubtful in my eyes)

Flame away :popcorn:

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Alright I will give this a shot and others can shoot me down as needed :nod:
I will make the assumption that Hall is the only one we think is going to return. This is with present signed players. I do think a trade or 3 is coming still but will wait until that happens.

McHugh - Damiani - Meireles (keep them together on 1st or 2nd line)
Liska - Hugg - Garreffa (1st or 2nd line)
Yantsis - Guest - Valade (Guest is my question mark for 3rd or 4th line)
Petizian - Langdon - Treesor
Gordon -

Hall - Vukojevic
Vallati - Gentles
York - Trade or prospect yet to be signed from Main Camp

Richardson
Pfeil

** Disclaimers **
Forwards - I do think Langdon will get more ice time and would like to see him on the 3rd line. Really the same thing for Petizian. Guest is my guy that would drop to 4th line due to lack of playing time to develop. But until main camp starts, this is where I see the forwards projected.

D - This is where I think mgmt needs to figure out is Garreffa a F or a D. In my projected lineup, you could put him in the top 4 and slide Gentles down. Petersen is gone I feel.

G - I see McGonigle as the odd man out because of his age.

OA - Hall and Gentles to start with leaving a spot in case Bunnaman or Mascherin are returned (doubtful in my eyes)

Flame away :popcorn:
Can't disagree with anything except the goalkeeping. Lucas Pfeil hasn't performed well enough in JrB to maintain a starters job there and not sure if that BUG should be going to him. I know that 17 draft pick Connor Hasley is on the Rangers radar and he maybe playing at a US Prep school to get games in. But I much prefer him getting 20 games here.
I also supect that MM will be making some trades and some veteran forwards may be moved out and 3rd rounder Declan McDonnell gets signed and slotted into the lineup. It's not a "go for it" year and I hope some of the kids gets more icetime than this past season. Joseph Serpa I suspect is a yr away from OHL play.

*this post reminded me that hopefully MM gets a good relationship with some local B teams in advance so we don't go through a Matt Gordon situation again.

Last edited:

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
Can't disagree with anything except the goalkeeping. Lucas Pfeil hasn't performed well enough in JrB to maintain a starters job there and not sure if that BUG should be going to him. I know that 17 draft pick Connor Hasley is on the Rangers radar and he maybe playing at a US Prep school to get games in. But I much prefer him getting 20 games here.
I also supect that MM will be making some trades and some veteran forwards may be moved out and 3rd rounder Declan McDonnell gets signed and slotted into the lineup. It's not a "go for it" year and I hope some of the kids gets more icetime than this past season. Joseph Serpa I suspect is a yr away from OHL play.

*this post reminded me that hopefully MM gets a good relationship with some local B teams in advance so we don't go through a Matt Gordon situation again.[/QUOTE]

I would look for prospects to either head home and play for their local junior a or b team or head to the Elmira Sugar Kings. Thinking the affiliation with the Dutchies is slowly going to come to an end.

The problem with the Dutchmen is they have their own agenda. They usually run with a pretty veteran squad. I know the Rangers are annoyed at the lack of progression being made by the Dutchmen with the prospects.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'll go with BenchedGuy's premise that Mascherin and Bunnaman will graduate. That means next year is a build year with the following year targeted as another contending year. (If one of those guys return we look at dealing him for assets. If both return? Big decisions would have to be made regarding whether we sell or try and contend again).

With that in mind I agree with a lot of his lines but not all.

Easily the top two lines are:
McHugh. Damiani. Meireles.
Liska. Hugg. Garreffa.

I have Garreffa as a forward as the coaching staff did in the playoffs up until they were forced to put him back on D because of injury. That top line could be the top line again the following year!

My third line would be:
Guest. Petizian. Yantsis.

Until anything comes out otherwise, Guest is a part of this team and once healthy, returns to the lineup. He'll be a third year player. He's due and it'll be a big year for him the show he can be a regular. Petizian EASILY is my third line center based on his play in the playoffs. Yantsis also did enough in the post season to solidify his spot going forward.

My fourth line would be three of:
Gordon. Tresoor. Valade. Langdon.

I like where Ward is coming from and I think we need to explore moving a returning player or two to both make room for the kids and further build assets for a probable push to contend in 2019-20.

So up front, my top two lines stay intact. I don't move anyone (the imports are hard to move anyway). Also, Petizian is a keeper and IMO, an element we need more of - not less of.

So, depending on how Guest performs during the first couple months of the season (I play the crap out of him to try and raise his trade value), he could be moved in a deal comparable to the Eli Roberts deal. I'm not saying he'd bring the same return but comparable where we move him to make room, to a team where he'd play a bigger role. If he can start playing as he was projected to play, he could be a pretty decent player with 2 more years plus an OA season in this league.

Yantsis could bring something in return based on his post season play as well. Again, I don't expect a whole lot in return but I don't think I'm out of line comparing Yantsis to a player like Cascagnette. He brought us a 3rd and 4th. I think one more year of Yantsis playing among our bottom six (he wouldn't play an OA season here with the likes of Garreffa, McHugh, Meireles and Richardson ahead of him) vs making room on the roster for, as Ward says a McDonnell, makes better sense for the Rangers going forward.

In dealing guys like Guest and Yantsis, isn't it about time the Rangers do the kind of deals to build the draft cupboard by moving decent players for higher than expected return to make room for younger more skilled players? The London model?

So after hypothetically dealing Guest and Yantsis, our bottom six could look like this:
Gordon. Petizian. Tresoor
McDonnell. Langdon. Valade.

I just lined these guys up based on age. After Petizian centering the third line, any other combination of the other five would likely be experimented with.

My defence:
Vallati. Hall.
Vukojevic. York.
Gentles.

That's a good start and a damn good front four. But if we're building for a run in 2019-20, we have to consider dealing Hall. He wouldn't be around for the following season and if 100% healthy, could be one of the top OA D in the league next year. That has to draw major interest and return from contending teams. I keep Gentles around as an OA to eat up minutes and provide leadership and experience. That would be more valuable than any return he'd bring in in trade.

I also go hard after Sebrango. Make the promises you have to make. There'd be a ton of ice for him especially when you consider a Hall trade.

Obviously my goalie is Richardson. He'd be getting every opportunity to succeed playing the bulk of the games. I do that to see what we have in him. That way, we'll know before the following year as to whether he'd be a very good option as an OA in a contending season.

I agree with Ward about Pfiel. I give Hasley or whoever every opportunity to show they can be the backup with an eye towards being the starter once Richardson graduates. Isn't it about time we developed our own goaltending? When was the last time we drafted a 16-year-old who started here at 16 or 17 years of age and developed into our number one? Scott Dickie?

I mentioned this a few posts ago and I'll say it again here. I'm not in favour of trading for one or more OAs just to fill out OA quota if it means spending valuable assets. We'll need those assets the following season. I do understand though that there's the likelyhood we'll likely have to take an OA back to complete a Hall deal. (Like when we took Lalonde back in the Windsor deal so they could make room for Shutron).

Last edited:

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
I'll go with BenchedGuy's premise that Mascherin and Bunnaman will graduate. That means next year is a build year with the following year targeted as another contending year. (If one of those guys return we look at dealing him for assets. If both return? Big decisions would have to be made regarding whether we sell or try and contend again).

With that in mind I agree with a lot of his lines but not all.

Easily the top two lines are:
McHugh. Damiani. Meireles.
Liska. Hugg. Garreffa.

I have Garreffa as a forward as the coaching staff did in the playoffs up until they were forced to put him back on D because of injury. That top line could be the top line again the following year!

My third line would be:
Guest. Petizian. Yantsis.

Until anything comes out otherwise, Guest is a part of this team and once healthy, returns to the lineup. He'll be a third year player. He's due and it'll be a big year for him the show he can be a regular. Petizian EASILY is my third line center based on his play in the playoffs. Yantsis also did enough in the post season to solidify his spot going forward.

My fourth line would be three of:
Gordon. Tresoor. Valade. Langdon.

I like where Ward is coming from and I think we need to explore moving a returning player or two to both make room for the kids and further build assets for a probable push to contend in 2019-20.

So up front, my top two lines stay intact. I don't move anyone (the imports are hard to move anyway). Also, Petizian is a keeper and IMO, an element we need more of - not less of.

So, depending on how Guest performs during the first couple months of the season (I play the crap out of him to try and raise his trade value), he could be moved in a deal comparable to the Eli Roberts deal. I'm not saying he'd bring the same return but comparable where we move him to make room, to a team where he'd play a bigger role. If he can start playing as he was projected to play, he could be a pretty decent player with 2 more years plus an OA season in this league.

Yantsis could bring something in return based on his post season play as well. Again, I don't expect a whole lot in return but I don't think I'm out of line comparing Yantsis to a player like Cascagnette. He brought us a 3rd and 4th. I think one more year of Yantsis playing among our bottom six (he wouldn't play an OA season here with the likes of Garreffa, McHugh, Meireles and Richardson ahead of him) vs making room on the roster for, as Ward says a McDonnell, makes better sense for the Rangers going forward.

In dealing guys like Guest and Yantsis, isn't it about time the Rangers do the kind of deals to build the draft cupboard by moving decent players for higher than expected return to make room for younger more skilled players? The London model?

So after hypothetically dealing Guest and Yantsis, our bottom six could look like this:
Gordon. Petizian. Tresoor
McDonnell. Langdon. Valade.

I just lined these guys up based on age. After Petizian centering the third line, any other combination of the other five would likely be experimented with.

My defence:
Vallati. Hall.
Vukojevic. York.
Gentles.

That's a good start and a damn good front four. But if we're building for a run in 2019-20, we have to consider dealing Hall. He wouldn't be around for the following season and if 100% healthy, could be one of the top OA D in the league next year. That has to draw major interest and return from contending teams. I keep Gentles around as an OA to eat up minutes and provide leadership and experience. That would be more valuable than any return he'd bring in in trade.

I also go hard after Sebrango. Make the promises you have to make. There'd be a ton of ice for him especially when you consider a Hall trade.

Obviously my goalie is Richardson. He'd be getting every opportunity to succeed playing the bulk of the games. I do that to see what we have in him. That way, we'll know before the following year as to whether he'd be a very good option as an OA in a contending season.

I agree with Ward about Pfiel. I give Hasley or whoever every opportunity to show they can be the backup with an eye towards being the starter once Richardson graduates. Isn't it about time we developed our own goaltending? When was the last time we drafted a 16-year-old who started here at 16 or 17 years of age and developed into our number one? Scott Dickie?

I mentioned this a few posts ago and I'll say it again here. I'm not in favour of trading for one or more OAs just to fill out OA quota if it means spending valuable assets. We'll need those assets the following season. I do understand though that there's the likelyhood we'll likely have to take an OA back to complete a Hall deal. (Like when we took Lalonde back in the Windsor deal so they could make room for Shutron).

I agree with both you and Ward. In the limited time I saw Pfiel I saw he had more mechanical problems than Hasley and McBride. But in my roster I was trying to go with currently signed players. I think this may get more attention in main camp as to who the BUG will be.

Again I agree with you and put all chips on the table and throw everything you can at Serbrango and try to get him signed. He was impressive at the OHL Gold Cup. To have Vukojevic and Serbrango on the back end would be something! With only being able to have four 16yr olds I think that the remaining spot is being saved for him for the time being.

I love Petizian and Yantsis, especially how the stepped up in the playoffs. So giving them more ice for development is great. For some of the others signed guys like Treesor, Valade and Langdon, I know we have to see if they can play at the OHL level first but I think you have to try to get them 10 minutes a game to see what you have. So this is where I have a problem with the current lineup and not enough icetime to go around. If both Masch and Bunn return then yes it will be a contend again year IMO so that heavily impacts ice times.

As for OA I like having 2 to start if its a re-tool year and trade off Hall like you suggest and go with 1 OA unless our trading partner needs to move theirs.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
So with Boston University Head Coach heading to the NY Rangers, does that change anything for Serbrango and increase Kitchener's chances of getting him to come here? I'm sure MM is working on it.....

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'm selfishly hoping Bunns and Masch do not graduate and we use them to kick start an accelerated rebuild. It would be nice to replenish the arsenal after all the trades of this last year

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
So with Boston University Head Coach heading to the NY Rangers, does that change anything for Serbrango and increase Kitchener's chances of getting him to come here? I'm sure MM is working on it.....
I think it will have a small part in Serbrangos decision but the it all depends on who they get to replace Dave Quinn with. Having said that, with both McKee and Wideman (he is signed for next season isn't he?...or hopefully will be) here and their proven ability of the coaches developing defencemen (Vallati and Vuk*). Then I think Serbrangos decision to come here will be much easier to make.
I'm selfishly hoping Bunns and Masch do not graduate and we use them to kick start an accelerated rebuild. It would be nice to replenish the arsenal after all the trades of this last year
I think it's wishful thinking that one or even both comes back. Bunnaman I guess after the yr he had could but I suspect Mascherin will have other options of playing pro somewhere.
Hopefully I'm 100% wrong.............again!

* When it come to developing Vuk....I think he's one talent that would develop anywhere under anybody!

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Sebrango would be a nice addition for sure, it definitely seems that we have been able the last few drafts to grab high end talent in the 2nd round

Maybe not quite as prevalent as London, but it’s good to see us being a desirable location again

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Has anyone heard anything on the Mascherin front? Are his rights going to get traded or will he end up in the draft again?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I haven't heard anything, but I'm betting he goes back in the draft unless Florida is prepared to take a haircut in the deal.

I don't think Mascherin has the value he did two years ago when he was drafted. With that in mind, if he were to go back into the draft, I doubt he goes in the top three rounds. So why give up anything of value for him in trade when you could possibly get him in the 4th or 5th round?

Florida, likely holding out for a second or third rounder, will likely have to take a seventh rounder for him if they want to get anything at all. The only way they get more for him is if they give the team an opportunity to get him signed first.

Mar 12, 2009
Bob Mackenzie was talking about the Mascherin situation and mentioned a similar situation with Tim Brent who was drafted in the 2nd round by Anaheim. He refused to sign, went back in the draft only to be drafted a round later by...Anaheim again. Apparently Masch was offered a good deal. Hopefully he gets what he wants out of this move, it's a bit of a gamble in these situations though.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Not going to go back and check who started the rumour but I'm going to run with his health for now.
During playoffs they tends to be an onslaught trolls and other "people in the know" who throw stuff out there to get their jollies.
If it is his health (as reported by people who are truly in the know) lets hope it's nothing serious. Hockey wise I don't think we are concerned about this but more on a personnel basis.
I guess this quashes that earlier rumour posted by a Sault(?) fan that Guest was sitting out of the playoffs since he wanted to be traded! Healthy Guest looking to make mark

Also on Browns Blog he mentions the entire coaching staff is expected to return.
Coaching contracts are up at the Aud but it sounds like everyone is expected to return next season.
Rangers Report

Last edited:

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Brown posting some more articles

Guest had a viral infection, and will return next year and they hope he can take a big step

Also some interesting notes about the bidding for a memorial cup. Looks like Kitchener won’t be involved with the crazy prices the CHL is asking for.

Can’t blame them, we pay a lot already for our season tickets, Can’t be trying to offset almost $4 million for a short tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad