Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScoresFromCentre

Jan 29, 2016
There's been a lot of talk here about getting an elite forward now rather than later. With Sherwood, MM delivers. Maybe, he's reading this thread? :thumbu:

McKenzie was with the team in 2015-16. I don't think we'll see this management group try to contend again with that kind of depth-over-high-end-performance model.

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
Mascherin and Stanley chosen for Russia Canada Sub Way series.

Glad to see it but Mash needs to step up his game considerably if he thinks he has a shot at WJ

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Mascherin and Stanley chosen for Russia Canada Sub Way series.

Glad to see it but Mash needs to step up his game considerably if he thinks he has a shot at WJ
I think Mascherin is coming along fine at the moment. He is the kind of player that needs a play maker with him. Their are not a lot of players that can win a game by them selves as you well know and the Rangers are lacking in guys that can finish although some are getting better at it. Put him with some talented skill guys and his game will shine. Team Canada doesn't always do well no matter who they pick lately.

Last edited:

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit
I think Mascherin is coming along fine at the moment. He is the kind of player that needs a play maker with him. Their are not a lot of players that an win a game by them selves as you well know and the Rangers are lacking in guys that can finish although some are getting better at it. Put him with some talented skill guys and his game will shine. Team Canada doesn't always do well no matter who they pick lately.
If Logan Brown is returned, he would be a perfect match for Mascherin??? What would it cost?

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
My guess would be
Eric Guest or Grayson Ladd + 3 2nds
Really wouldn't want to trade Damiani
As has been said, that's not a step forward, he's crucial to our team this season

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
If Logan Brown is returned, he would be a perfect match for Mascherin??? What would it cost?
I am not advocating they go out and get another player right away. They just brought in one of the top forwards in the league last season. They probably would look at the hole they left on the back end before a forward one would think. I was just replying to the statement regarding Mascherin's play.
He was lacking a linemate that could set him or finish a play. Rangers plan at the moment is to keep the top prospects so they always have a decent core. Whether that becomes a reality is yet to be see.:)
Not really sold on Logan Brown. Windsor fans always seemed anxious to relieve themselves of him for whatever reason.

BogeyJ

Jan 5, 2016
I think Mascherin is coming along fine at the moment. He is the kind of player that needs a play maker with him. Their are not a lot of players that can win a game by them selves as you well know and the Rangers are lacking in guys that can finish although some are getting better at it. Put him with some talented skill guys and his game will shine. Team Canada doesn't always do well no matter who they pick lately.

Definitely can't disagree with you bobber. Maybe Sherwood will be that guy, he had over 55 assists last year which should bold well for Mascherin and himself. Part of me still feels that Mascherin has another level to him with or without an elite linemate. Sorta like last year he had bracco and they both lit up the score sheet but even with bracco' s departure he seemed to keep up the pace without him for the most part. But yeah having an elite linemate should definitely help, even just a good old shot in the arm sorta thing!

Looking forward to watching friday at the Aud agaisnt London, but i will reserve judgement on Sherwood's impact for a least a few games seeing as he's fresh off sitting due to that high ankle injury.

Mar 12, 2009
It would help him score for sure, but he had no problem producing at a very high rate after Bracco traded, leaving him without a playmaking linemate.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
I thought the same, that he scored at a good rate after Bracco left last season, but in the 28 game prior to Bracco heading off to the world championships he managed 22 goals, but in the 37 games after he only managed 13 goals. May be his shoulder was hurts worse than we were lead to believe.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Really like what I what I saw from Blaisdelle. Badly needed stability.

Sadly, he's exactly what we need now. Having said that, I understand the move. Opportunities to get players of Sherwood's ilk only come along so often and he also fills a need. But this leaves MM needing to go out and find a reliable defenceman.

Mar 12, 2009
I thought the same, that he scored at a good rate after Bracco left last season, but in the 28 game prior to Bracco heading off to the world championships he managed 22 goals, but in the 37 games after he only managed 13 goals. May be his shoulder was hurts worse than we were lead to believe.
For production I was referring to points more so than goals. His goal production slipped but his point production didn't take so much of a hit. He was much more effective last year at making plays and setting others up in the 2nd half of the season than he has been this year.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
For production I was referring to points more so than goals. His goal production slipped but his point production didn't take so much of a hit. He was much more effective last year at making plays and setting others up in the 2nd half of the season than he has been this year.

I cringe when I hear people say Mascherin can't pass. He is an extremely deft passer. Made a ton of incredible feeds last season. But you're right... that vision and playmaking touch hasn't been there this year. It could be he's pushing for goals since he has been a bit snake-bitten.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I cringe when I hear people say Mascherin can't pass. He is an extremely deft passer. Made a ton of incredible feeds last season. But you're right... that vision and playmaking touch hasn't been there this year. It could be he's pushing for goals since he has been a bit snake-bitten.

If Mascherin didn't prove he could be a playmaker last season (when he couldn't shoot because of his shoulder) he never will.

As for the defense - when it comes to crunch time, I expect we'll ride Stanley and Hall for 30 + minutes a game. If either of them would get injured, we're out of luck anyway. I think if MM picks up another big time shooter we're in good shape.

Reactions: BogeyJ

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
From the sound of it today on the radio interview with McKee that mcGonigle is very close to playing. Wonder if the Rangers with ADB out that he'll be dressed as the back-up? I suspect not since they probably want to give him some game action in B somewhere.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
For the first time I'm questioning our head coach. The Rangers were simply not prepared to play the Knights. Another early goal and no adjustments or answers to London's systems.

Complete lack of discipline by Hall. Should have been benched. London provoked him and got him off his game.

Our passing is atrocious, it seems like no one knows where they should be going. London moves the puck at top speed and pursue the puck with energy. We don't.

We have some decent talent on this team but they are not playing with any emotion and seemingly little direction. It's taken some time to find Barnaby's replacement and it makes me wonder if a new head coach with his own assistant is being pursued.

I'll give Richardson a mulligan on the first goal, but the team did not rally after that, they just looked defeated and showed no pride.

It may be time for a coaching change. This team has not played to their potential.

Rangerette

Feb 24, 2013
Our passing is atrocious, it seems like no one knows where they should be going. London moves the puck at top speed and pursue the puck with energy. We don't.

We have some decent talent on this team but they are not playing with any emotion and seemingly little direction. It's taken some time to find Barnaby's replacement and it makes me wonder if a new head coach with his own assistant is being pursued.

I'll give Richardson a mulligan on the first goal, but the team did not rally after that, they just looked defeated and showed no pride.

Agree 100%, especially on the lack of emotion and direction. We haven't been able to make it to several games so far this season and to be honest, we hardly enjoy going anymore these days. Games are so boring and lacking any excitement whatsoever.

Speaking of passing, I can't stand that play on the powerplay where they are moving forward (usually Mascherin) and then stop and pass backwards. That is the most useless play ever and they continue to do it over and over again. I have no idea what it is supposed to accomplish and boy do I wish they would change that one.

Should have beaten a team that came in at 1-9. Coach should have had them ready, and they should have wanted to be ready to beat this team that has beaten them 13 (now 14) games in a row.

moose311

Dec 30, 2015
Speaking of passing, I can't stand that play on the powerplay where they are moving forward (usually Mascherin) and then stop and pass backwards. That is the most useless play ever and they continue to do it over and over again. I have no idea what it is supposed to accomplish and boy do I wish they would change that one.

When the player brings the puck up, they're usually dealing with 3 penalty killers standing still on their own blue line (with one attacking ahead). So the drop pass is supposed to act as a change of direction on the flat-footed players. (Not sure they are actually accomplishing that too often -- it looks like they're dropping the pass a little too early.) Tonight, it worked for what it's supposed to accomplish: They were almost always able to gain entry to the zone. The problems came after that -- maintaining possession and creating scoring chances.

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
Wow! It's like the world is reading my mind this morning. After watching last night's game, I was determined to sign up on this board just to comment on a couple of SPECIFIC thoughts that have been on my mind. But Rangerette beat me to the punch. Yes, what IS with that "stop over the red line and then pass it back" routine for the last couple of years? It just kills the flow and slows down the play. With a fast team such as the Rangers, is this not counter productive? And I believe the other teams have caught on to this by now. And truly, the Rangers looked confused and disorganized. There were better plays and organization in the Timbits game between the 2nd and 3rd last night! The coaching has to change! We have not had a good one since Deboer. You cannot just throw out a bunch of talent on the ice and expect them to win. I can recall a couple of Ranger teams in the early 80's that tried to do that and it just doesn't produce results. It is a team game and it needs a skillful coordinator to make the parts work with each other. Thanks for letting me vent, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad