Kitchener Rangers 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Last season Bunnaman had 37 goals 16 on the PP. I seem to remember he spent time in front of the goalie and scored most of his goals from within 6 feet of the net. Seems to have moved out a few feet this seasons or have teams adapted?
When opposing teams watch video of the Rangers they can see how easy it is to defend against their PP. London use to have two players on each side of the goalie and seemed to be able to get pucks to them to score goals. Domi was one. You still need skill out there that can make plays. Bunner weighs in at 220 pounds so he should have no problem in front of the opposing net. I think the Rangers are lacking a skilled play maker on the power play.

Mar 12, 2009
Last season Bunnaman had 37 goals 16 on the PP. I seem to remember he spent time in front of the goalie and scored most of his goals from within 6 feet of the net. Seems to have moved out a few feet this seasons or have teams adapted?
This is my question too. Bunnaman was effective in front of the net as the year went on and Mascherin was controlling the puck, was a more effective and productive playmaker last season. I know the PP wasn't great, but the few things that were strong in our PP are no longer being done well this season. Player personel hasn't changed, one would think the PP would get better do to another year of experience/strength, or at worst remain the same, but it seems like it's take steps backwards.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
There was a time when you had to "pay a price" for standing in front of the net - especially on the PP. The massive cross checks by d-men across the backs of forwards standing around the front of the net are a thing of the past. No reason for smaller skilled players to shy away from those areas.

No reason placing someone around the front of the net on the PP, even smaller guys, can't be tried.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
When opposing teams watch video of the Rangers they can see how easy it is to defend against their PP. London use to have two players on each side of the goalie and seemed to be able to get pucks to them to score goals. Domi was one. You still need skill out there that can make plays. Bunner weighs in at 220 pounds so he should have no problem in front of the opposing net. I think the Rangers are lacking a skilled play maker on the power play.

London's pp the past few seasons had a lot of skilled players, players in constant motion and tape to tape passing. A few pages back someone said they had the over/under for tape to tape passes set at 5 (I'm hoping they were joking). Puck movement has not been the Rangers strong suit in recent memory.

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
Nice win. Killed off a late 4 minute double minor and scored right after to win the game. Damiani's shot just needed a little push over the goal line from Bunnaman.

Saginaw played well but this game shows our need to upgrade skill and scoring.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Rangers really looked flat for at least a period and a half or more in this one. They were out coached and out played up until that period of time IMO. The coach was pissed in the first and angrier in the second and basically told them it was up to them how they played in the third period. To put this in context they were playing the youngest team in the league. This was just another example of what we saw last season. The team comes out with no effort or motivation and has to try to come from behind and squeak out a win when they should actually dominate. Not sure what their recipe is for success is but there seems to be an ingredient missing. There are a couple of character players on the team like Hall and Stanley who did hammer and wack a few Saginaw players but the rest of the team seems docile. They did pick up their game in the 3rd after seeing the coach losing it. Maybe he should be doing that before the game. I love seeing Stanley body slam players in the crease. Haven't seen that at the Aud in years. It's the Irish in me.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
Flat might have been an understatement in the first yesterday. It was embarrassing to watch. The glass is half full me though liked that they eventually got their act together. Shouldn't have to happen though and preparation needs to be better. Coaches can say it is up to the leaders on the team, but its on their desk the buck stops.

Loved the physical play of Stanley, although at the time I was frustrated with the unsportsmanlike penalty. However looking back, I want some passion and someone to care, so, provided it doesn't get out of hand, I like it. Talking of Stanley, from where I was sitting, it looked like the head checking penalty late in the 3rd was a clean hit to the chest, what did it look like of TV?

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
From I saw on that Stanley penalty, he could've lowered the boom my using his body to hit the player but due to size difference it probably would've resulted in a head checking major penalty. So instead he used both hands and pushed the player down. Perhaps I have blueish tinted glasses on but I didn't think it was a penalty.

Last edited:

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007

Very good game today, in all aspects of the game (sans PP). 4 out of the 5 goals scored today was withing a few feet of the net with 3 of Bunnamans goals the last cpl games right from the crease area. I also noticed today that more Rangers are now standing in front of the net providing a screen. Maybe they have always done this but with the discussions of that lack of aspect to their game it seemed more noticeable today. Once Hugg gets a goal I see them coming in bunches for him, he just seems snakebitten right now.
Really starting to like the team defence now....not as chaotic! Also the team seems to be blocking more shots now.
I may soon have to take back what I've been harping about Jake Henderson, looks like decent overager on this team.

If and when this team turns around it's PP they very well could challenge for the top spot in the West. Right now they going into a gun fight with nothing more than knife.

Last edited:

OhSheila

Aug 28, 2015
Kitchener
2/3 on the road. 3 games in 3 days. Close loss in the Soo. Come from behind late goal win in Saginaw. Back and forth game won with a strong 3rd period in Flint. Great to see Bunnaman get his scoring touch back.

This team is good, but need to add more scoring and playmaking talent.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
The team seems to be getting points from a bunch of different players which is a good thing going forward. I liked the effort of the 4th line against Flint and once again saw a spark in the play of Yantsis who with the proper coaching could be a decent player. The team seems to turn over the puck to often and lose possession too easily. Even the vets like Mash are prone to do this more than once a game.
They need to work on that area and the PP. I have said the same thing as Shelia a few times in regards to bringing in a play making forward . Maybe they are waiting for a veteran disgruntled player on another team to pop up. Still it would cost the Rangers an asset or two. On a side note listening to Joey G being interviewed by Farwell on the radio show he said he liked having a shiner and stitches because it made him look tough. I thought that was humorous. No wonder everyone wants to interview him.

Rangers True Blue

Aug 2, 2017
Sorry, but I'll never be able to say "outcoached" and "Smith" in the same sentence. o_O

The Flint game was indeed a solid game up to the 3rd when Rangers did their usual thing. When it went 3-3, I must admit that I thought....here we go again. But somehow, they found another gear and the Bunnaman line took over the Flint zone. Then Meireles slammed in a beauty just seconds later. (I still think not playing in what should have been his rookie year hurt Meireles.)

And Hugg.....only a matter of time before he scores. Love his play as I do Liska. In his interview with Pope, Hugg said that he is still adapting to the smaller ice and remarked that the game is faster than he's used to.

The D IS looking better and better every game. And the 4th line got the message. They did a great job in Flint and gave the other lines a chance to gain some more rest in between shifts. I do hope this continues.

Agreed. A couple more skilled players and a PP that actually scores are needed to notch the Rangers up.

Now....if the Rangers can't get motivated to demolish London on Friday.......:hit:

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Sorry, but I'll never be able to say "outcoached" and "Smith" in the same sentence. o_O

Are you ever right about that. There was no out-coaching whatsoever. Kitchener was just flat and lifeless. Couldn't make a 5-foot pass as usual. But I mentioned to the two guys I was sitting with who were very disgruntled after 2 periods not to worry.... I told them Saginaw is coached by Troy Smith, the comeback is a guarantee. Sure enough...

Now the Flint effort on the other hand was tremendous. First full-60 effort I've seen in a long time and the first time this team has looked like the powerhouse it should be based on lineup. That fourth line was exceptional and Henderson has found a new gear. But special nod to Meireles who has been busting his hump out there. I mentioned a week ago that if he kept working this hard he'd get rewarded and I think he has 3 goals and 2 assists since. Things are starting to come.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Good weekend away. Happy to see Bunnaman popping them in.

I wonder when the Assistant Coach position is going to be filled. I don't see Merli being the long term solution.

Side note: Brown saying Seitz is fitting in Moncton and had a good last few games. Happy for players when they find a good fit outside the OHL.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I expect Merli to eventually be named assistant full time. Promote from within yadda yadda yadda.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I expect Merli to eventually be named assistant full time. Promote from within yadda yadda yadda.
I know that was a wee bit tongue in cheek (awful feeling it may happen) but if any ex-Ranger is to be considered I would like to see Matt Pepe. i believe he's had a successful coaching career in this general area. A long shot for an ex-Ranger whos' done quite a bit coaching on the defensive side in the NHL but isn't this yr and just may be interested in an interim scenario with family still in this area and ex-teammate of Beinkowski....Scott Stevens. (long shot at best maybe and more wishful thinking!)

Gondrex

Apr 10, 2017
Great to see the Rangers get the W.

For a 16 year-old goaltender I thought Cavallin played quite well. I'm also wondering how defensively the Firebirds were playing (as opposed to being more offensively-minded) because their rookie was between the pipes.

I don't want to take anything away from the victory because there are improvements. Good to see Bunnaman back to form.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
For a 16 year-old goaltender I thought Cavallin played quite well. I'm also wondering how defensively the Firebirds were playing (as opposed to being more offensively-minded) because their rookie was between the pipes.

I thought Flint played very poorly. We fore-checked hard and had a pace to our game I had yet to see which put them on their heels, but the Firebirds had a crazy number of own-zone turnovers. And many of the unforgivable variety (no pressure, just screwing around with it). Cavallin was excellent and the only reason the score wasn't much worse.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I think you will see Sherwood in a kitchener uniform. No confirmation just my assumption they needed to make room for him.

As well what could we expect from Blasidell? Is he solid? Will he make a difference and play well in a top 4.

WJ

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
WOW..interesting on both accounts! I guess with the stability in net and D that they can surrender a bit of strength and strengthen a weakness. But IMHO they do need a playermaker for Mascherin.
Wondering if they are clearing up space on D for another trade or ummm a draft pick who may want to show up now?

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Obviously something else is coming as a contending team doesn't leave an OA spot open.

I don't entirely understand it though even if it's Sherwood because our D has a massive hole now. Must be a forward moving for a D soon too. In a go for it year we need another vet back there.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
Obviously something else is coming as a contending team doesn't leave an OA spot open.

I don't entirely understand it though even if it's Sherwood because our D has a massive hole now. Must be a forward moving for a D soon too. In a go for it year we need another vet back there.

Brown tweeted there is more coming from this deal, so I don't think McKenzie is finished moving pieces yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad