Kitchener Rangers 2015-16 Season Thread (part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Hard work can overcome talent. But there's nothing stopping the talented players from working just as hard. Then what happens?

Then you lose.
Yak scoring the game winning goal last night is far from their most talented player. How does that happen?

The boys need to pick up the effort and secondary scoring has to be there. In the regular season Darby had 22 goals, Goose had 17, Kohn and Bunnaman both had 17. If MacInnis, Bracco, Mascherin and Robinson are not scoring then the secondary guys have to step up by committee.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Then you lose.
Yak scoring the game winning goal last night is far from their most talented player. How does that happen?

The boys need to pick up the effort and secondary scoring has to be there. In the regular season Darby had 22 goals, Goose had 17, Kohn and Bunnaman both had 17. If MacInnis, Bracco, Mascherin and Robinson are not scoring then the secondary guys have to step up by committee.

IMHO....Hard work is a talent.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Then you lose.

Which is why we're down 3 - 0. We did get some secondary scoring game 2. I don't think the secondary scoring is good enough to win game in game out though. Hopefully it comes through enough to at least make it interesting.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Which is why we're down 3 - 0. We did get some secondary scoring game 2. I don't think the secondary scoring is good enough to win game in game out though. Hopefully it comes through enough to at least make it interesting.

Totally understand that, in the previous thread it was mentioned that it hangs on 1 or 2 players. Losses don't hang on just Mascherin or MacInnis (you can add Bracco, Robinson). Its a team effort and if the team effort isn't there, the hard work, the secondary scoring... then that is why we are down 3 - 0.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Totally understand that, in the previous thread it was mentioned that it hangs on 1 or 2 players. Losses don't hang on just Mascherin or MacInnis (you can add Bracco, Robinson). Its a team effort and if the team effort isn't there, the hard work, the secondary scoring... then that is why we are down 3 - 0.

I don't think losses ever hang on one or two players unless it's a colossal screw up. Unfortunately that's the way many posters, including myself, think sometimes. When one player doesn't come through, another has to step it up. London has more of those guys that can step up than Kitchener.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
I don't think losses ever hang on one or two players unless it's a colossal screw up. Unfortunately that's the way many posters, including myself, think sometimes. When one player doesn't come through, another has to step it up. London has more of those guys that can step up than Kitchener.

The second part is where we agree. But I also think Hunter's adjustments are an impact in this series too.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

I agree that you have to have secondary scoring. I remember someone from the Soo or maybe here saying Miller would add forty goals this season. In saying that I like the way Miller plays just doesn't always put points up. Lewie is a fifth year player I believe and he plays well but has a soft side to him and doesn't finish his chances. Bunnaman is big but fails to put up points most times. Good worker out there. It would have been great if these players could have stepped up more but maybe they have levelled off. I would like to see them play Garreffa in the next game. He can create offensive opportunities. Could be the last hurray so why not give him a shot. Its a love fest mostly anyway.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
The second part is where we agree. But I also think Hunter's adjustments are an impact in this series too.

I agree with that. But I also think it's easier to make adjustments when you have better players. I commented on the knights board that I thought the biggest adjustment he made all season was when he put the Omac line together and established them as a shutdown line. It freed up the Marner line to go against other teams lesser lines. I think that's when London really took off as a team. Obviously that's easier to do at home than the road. Hunter always seems to put together a similar line that's difficult to play against. Something I wish the Rangers would start doing. It can be done no matter what the skill level of the team. We haven't done it since Cresenzi, Thomson and Randell.

yusof1919

Apr 13, 2016
Kitcheners coaches need to rethink playing our top line against there top line. we need to concentrate on scoring not defending. When Hunter sends out his 4th line we need to counter with our 1st line not 3rd. If we don't start getting traffic in front of Parsons then this series is done in 4.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
There are a lot of factors at play in this series that are leading to the result we are seeing. A major one is confidence. London ALWAYS has swagger. Kitchener never does. As a game progresses, nerves catch up to us and it's like many of our players are expecting something bad to happen rather than forcing the issue.

But one thing I can say for sure is that Kitchener needs a face-off coach. Regardless of how the league stat sheet spins it, if we're legitimately over 10%, I don't know how. And when you lose every draw, you start every shift chasing the puck and expending your peak energy for defensive purposes. We simply need to possess the puck more.

On an individual basis, I think there are plenty of reasons to be mildly disappointed with a number of players. Mascherin and Bracco both fail to engage and pay the price. Robinson is too slow. Puck support lacks. No finish from the third line, etc.

But I have to say, in the last several games I have been very disappointed in Liberati. I find he is making mistakes upon mistakes. Too slow on decision making, out of position, getting out-hustled, etc. He's a guy I thought might make a big difference. Right now he is getting exposed as much as a rookie would.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Wow it has to be frustrating playing the Knights in round two with the quality club you guys have. Watching the highlights only, it seemed it was like trying to stop a dam and you got a sense it was a matter of time before the Knights connected. Not sure how fearless my prediction is but I have the Knights winning the league this year for sure.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
Wow it has to be frustrating playing the Knights in round two with the quality club you guys have. Watching the highlights only, it seemed it was like trying to stop a dam and you got a sense it was a matter of time before the Knights connected. Not sure how fearless my prediction is but I have the Knights winning the league this year for sure.

Watching this lately has been a lot like being a St. Louis Blues fan. You have a consistently very good club, but never quite good enough to slay the dragon in your division.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
There are a lot of factors at play in this series that are leading to the result we are seeing. A major one is confidence. London ALWAYS has swagger. Kitchener never does. As a game progresses, nerves catch up to us and it's like many of our players are expecting something bad to happen rather than forcing the issue.

But one thing I can say for sure is that Kitchener needs a face-off coach. Regardless of how the league stat sheet spins it, if we're legitimately over 10%, I don't know how. And when you lose every draw, you start every shift chasing the puck and expending your peak energy for defensive purposes. We simply need to possess the puck more.

On an individual basis, I think there are plenty of reasons to be mildly disappointed with a number of players. Mascherin and Bracco both fail to engage and pay the price. Robinson is too slow. Puck support lacks. No finish from the third line, etc.

But I have to say, in the last several games I have been very disappointed in Liberati. I find he is making mistakes upon mistakes. Too slow on decision making, out of position, getting out-hustled, etc. He's a guy I thought might make a big difference. Right now he is getting exposed as much as a rookie would.

Couldn't have written this whole post better myself.

Sleeperpick

Sep 16, 2014
Kitcheners coaches need to rethink playing our top line against there top line. we need to concentrate on scoring not defending. When Hunter sends out his 4th line we need to counter with our 1st line not 3rd. If we don't start getting traffic in front of Parsons then this series is done in 4.

If you do not put our top line against theirs then our top line will be sitting on the bench the whole game. Marner and mates are on all the time.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
If you do not put our top line against theirs then our top line will be sitting on the bench the whole game. Marner and mates are on all the time.

Marners, Dvoraks and Tkachuks point per minute of icetime this past season was about mid-pack of the entire OHL! :naughty:

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

And yet our Rangers fail to crunch them.:D I think it was Diperna once that crunched Marner along the boards and he didn't like the effects of it. We need a canon ball line like London use to have. If Hunter is going to play the top line three quarters of the game they should be bruised and battered by the end of the game. If your team is afraid to hit because of penalties they should find another sport.:dainty:

yusof1919

Apr 13, 2016
There 2nd and 3rd lines play a ton 5 on 5, Marner's line plays both PP and SM thats why it looks like there on a lot. I think he needs to get our #1 line out against Berisha and Pu as much as possible. Put a defensive line together and hope they stop Marner or another line really has to step up and put the puck in the net.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
I think the Marner line does not get more ice time 5 on 5 that any other of the London top 3 lines, but two of them also kill penalties and then all of them are on for most, if not all, of the power play. That gets the ice time up. In the two games in London because Marner avoided MacInnis, it appeared his line had less time 5 on 5.

Interesting that MacInnis was not on the ice for the first London goal.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
I was looking for some stats and glanced at the PK stats just to see where the Rangers sat in the playoffs. I was surprised to see they are dead last. 16th out of 16. They are nearly 10% worse than any other team in the second round (Soo 69.4% against Rangers 60%).

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
Then you lose.

Yak scoring game winning goal. How dose that happen. Easy. You never know when any certain player is going to score a goal when out playing there shift.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Yak scoring game winning goal. How dose that happen. Easy. You never know when any certain player is going to score a goal when out playing there shift.

Context is a wonderful thing. Read the conversation in this thread and the closed thread. Yak has scored many goals, it was more of a point through the rest of our conversation.

JSavoire

May 28, 2011
There 2nd and 3rd lines play a ton 5 on 5, Marner's line plays both PP and SM thats why it looks like there on a lot. I think he needs to get our #1 line out against Berisha and Pu as much as possible. Put a defensive line together and hope they stop Marner or another line really has to step up and put the puck in the net.

MacInnis line was out at times against Pu/Berisha but it didn't seem to matter which line they were matched against, they just couldn't get the bounces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln