Kingston Frontenacs 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 3)

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
London on Friday gonna be a real hard game. Hopefully boys don’t get blown out too bad. I’d be happy for them to lose within 2 goals (would rather a win but this is the #1 team in O and #3 in CHL, gotta be realistic)

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
London on Friday gonna be a real hard game. Hopefully boys don’t get blown out too bad. I’d be happy for them to lose within 2 goals (would rather a win but this is the #1 team in O and #3 in CHL, gotta be realistic)
If they can hold the Knights to a close game, it will be a big win for the team. The issue is going to be the defensive play and how badly the kights maul, Vaccari

Reactions: frontsfan67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Looking at next year, I think that Kington is going to have to be a seller. You have way too many 2005 on the team which means way too many OA in 25/26.

I still think that the best way for them to go is to look at rebranding Uen as an RW. As a defenceman he holds little value but if he could be a good winger teams may be interested.

I agree that this team, on paper, was built for 2024=25; however, the on-ice product leaves a lot to be desired.

You need a goalie. I agree you are not going to get a good one in the OHL draft, BUT there is always the possibility of getting one in the Euro.

I am not sure if you let Chromiak go or not that depends on what you draft. The big thing that this team needs to do is draft players who are not draft-eligible this year.

You need to draft people that are going to report. Not an 18-year-old who says they will gets drafted and decides to stay in Europe.

You also need Mann to set high expectations for the players coming back as well as talk to the NHL teams to get their feelings about the players that they drafted and what the NHL sees as needed.

A good example of you can not draft size is Richie Dunn

MIedema got drafted because you can not teach BIG. Buffalo does not need him in the NHL at this stage, but he needs to learn. I am sure the Buffalo scouts and mgmt have a plan they want to see Hium develop and use his size

A good example of you can't draft size was Richie Dunn. Those old timers will remember him as big hard hitting, But no one thought he was NHL material.

Last edited:

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Looking at next year, I think that Kington is going to have to be a seller. You have way too many 2005 on the team which means way too many OA in 25/26.

I still think that the best way for them to go is to look at rebranding Uen as an RW. As a defenceman he holds little value but if he could be a good winger teams may be interested.

I agree that this team, on paper, was built for 2024=25; however, the on-ice product leaves a lot to be desired.

You need a goalie. I agree you are not going to get a good one in the OHL draft, BUT there is always the possibility of getting one in the Euro.

I am not sure if you let Chromiak go or not that depends on what you draft. The big thing that this team needs to do is draft players who are not draft-eligible this year.

You need to draft people that are going to report. Not an 18-year-old who says they will gets drafted and decides to stay in Europe.

You also need Mann to set high expectations for the players coming back as well as talk to the NHL teams to get their feelings about the players that they drafted and what the NHL sees as needed.

MIedema got drafted because you can not teach BIG. Buffalo does not need him in the NHL at this stage, but he needs to learn. I am sure the Buffalo scouts and mgmt have a plan they want to see Hium develop and use his size

A good example of you can't draft size was Richie Dunn. Those old timers will remember him as big hard hitting, But no one thought he was NHL material.
I somewhat understand why people are suggesting they sell next year because there are a couple teams the project above them - but at that point if they do they'll never actually make a push. I think they'll need to see how the offseason goes, how the import draft goes and what the OA market looks like late next summer before deciding to sell - there is ABSOLUTELY NO way they go into next season planning to be seller.

Miedema reminds me of one of those all the tools no toolbox players - isolated, a lot of his attributes are really good, but for some reason he can't put it all together.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I somewhat understand why people are suggesting they sell next year because there are a couple teams the project above them - but at that point if they do they'll never actually make a push. I think they'll need to see how the offseason goes, how the import draft goes and what the OA market looks like late next summer before deciding to sell - there is ABSOLUTELY NO way they go into next season planning to be seller.

Miedema reminds me of one of those all the tools no toolbox players - isolated, a lot of his attributes are really good, but for some reason he can't put it all together.
I am not saying that you go into the season as sellers. I don't think anyone ever does. There are too many variables. As you said, the drafts are a crap shoot. Sometimes, you get players that can step right in.

I think Cooper will go out of this year with him and Mann laying down some laws and expectations.
I think that this team may be surprised. It is all up to the draft and what comes out of it.
I would not be surprised to see Downey back, and to be honest, if you don't draft a Euro goalie, he and Vaccari are not the worst pairing you could have.

I still think there had to be some unknown deal with Salajko or why Cooper dressed him so much. He would have been better in the juniors getting experience and confidence.

Miedma is going to be getting a lot of advice from the Sabres if they are at all thinking about him. With his size I expect him to be a bear next year.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
I am not saying that you go into the season as sellers. I don't think anyone ever does. There are too many variables. As you said, the drafts are a crap shoot. Sometimes, you get players that can step right in.

I think Cooper will go out of this year with him and Mann laying down some laws and expectations.
I think that this team may be surprised. It is all up to the draft and what comes out of it.
I would not be surprised to see Downey back, and to be honest, if you don't draft a Euro goalie, he and Vaccari are not the worst pairing you could have.

I still think there had to be some unknown deal with Salajko or why Cooper dressed him so much. He would have been better in the juniors getting experience and confidence.

Miedma is going to be getting a lot of advice from the Sabres if they are at all thinking about him. With his size I expect him to be a bear next year.
I don't disagree that they NEED another goalie with Vaccari - but I would be pretty surprised if it's Downey considering he'll be an OA. There is a chance that he sticks with the team while they sort out their OA situation but if he's there post-deadline I'll need to spike every Slush Puppie I have...

• Love

PuckLucker

Feb 18, 2024

Everyone here points the finger at the players but this might be a bigger picture problem.

The GM did a lot of good things and upgraded the defense but didn't address 1 very obvious problem. Your team is forcing 1 goalie to play 92% of your games which doesn't allow for much rest.

I'm a numbers & math person, currently the GAA is 3.72 for your starter, which means on average your team needs to score 5 goals to win a game.
In the last 20 games only 1 win came without scoring 5 goals.

Powerplay is 4th best in the league (Very good)
Penalty kill is 11th best in the league (Average, respectable)
Goals allowed is 4th worst in the league (Needs major improvement)
tempsnip.png

Last edited:

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Everyone here points the finger at the players but this might be a bigger picture problem.

The GM did a lot of good things and upgraded the defense but didn't address 1 very obvious problem. Your team is forcing 1 goalie to play 92% of your games which doesn't allow for much rest.

I'm a numbers & math person, currently the GAA is 3.72 for your starter, which means on average your team needs to score 5 goals to win a game.
In the last 20 games only 1 win came without scoring 5 goals.

Powerplay is 4th best in the league (Very good)
Penalty kill is 11th best in the league (Average, respectable)
Goals allowed is 4th worst in the league (Needs major improvement)
Yeah I think the issue is that there must've been some kind of backdoor deal with JJ Salajko to be the back up when there was absolutely no way he was ready for this level. He had sub-par numbers in 16U last year in Detroit (.887 SV% despite a solid 2.37 GAA) - and it was evidenced quite quickly that he wasn't ready.

If there was no deal and they just felt he was ready - that's a MASSIVE miss by Cooper, who as a goalie coach for 15 years should've been able to recognize that.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I agree but the only negative about that is Downey is an OA next year and typically teams don’t want an OA backup goalie as it wastes a spot on the team
Absolutely. He’s shown flashes of brilliance he just needs to stay consistent- that’s been his biggest issue. He will be good for a game or two and then invisible the next 5.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Having a goalie play 90% of the games isn't even a bad thing if you have a stud goalie.
The issue is Kingston has 3 JR A goalies so it doesn't matter what kind of a split they use.

Kingston will not be a seller next season. -They have 3 players that are most likely about to be drafted in Tibby, Bates and Frasca and will have Burns and Meeds returning.
They need a goalie for the future is what they need.

Reactions: OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Kingston is not a seller next year. They may not end up being a push in buyer but definitely not a seller.

A handful of team in the Eastern Conference will tinker a bit and spend wisely. Just because they may not be a championship contender, it doesn’t mean they cannot compete at a strong level.

The teams in a Kingston situation next year that could justify selling are teams that NEED to recoup assets and picks because of a previous push. I don’t see Kingston on serious need of recouping draft picks.

There may be an strategy at play to stockpile surplus picks but that doesn’t normally happen over one season. It is normally a gradual accumulation.

I could see Sudbury and North Bay being traditional sellers. I see Barrie, Ottawa, Kingston and maybe Oshawa as potential tinker type teams that sell and buy strategically without seriously upsetting their competitiveness. I’m see Brantford and Brampton as traditional buyers. Petes and Niagara continue with their rebuilds but not sellers. Strategic buyers if players with term are available.

Oshawa may pop into the same category as Brantford and Brampton but, like Kingston, may not have the assets to play in the deep end of the pool.

• Love

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
Having a goalie play 90% of the games isn't even a bad thing if you have a stud goalie.
The issue is Kingston has 3 JR A goalies so it doesn't matter what kind of a split they use.

Kingston will not be a seller next season. -They have 3 players that are most likely about to be drafted in Tibby, Bates and Frasca and will have Burns and Meeds returning.
They need a goalie for the future is what they need.
Tibby,, lol

Logosarejusttargets

Jan 3, 2023
I agree but the only negative about that is Downey is an OA next year and typically teams don’t want an OA backup goalie as it wastes a spot on the team

Absolutely. He’s shown flashes of brilliance he just needs to stay consistent- that’s been his biggest issue. He will be good for a game or two and then invisible the next 5.
While I think Miedema needs to be held accountable for lack of consistency I think the fact he's been stuck with Thibodeau more or less since Mann has arrived hasn't helped him. I just don't think those two are a good fit. I don't know what/how you break them up and who goes with him - I just don't think they work.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
While I think Miedema needs to be held accountable for lack of consistency I think the fact he's been stuck with Thibodeau more or less since Mann has arrived hasn't helped him. I just don't think those two are a good fit. I don't know what/how you break them up and who goes with him - I just don't think they work.
I have said for some time now put miedema on the line with battaglia and ludwinski sub Soto out to play with thibodeau

Miedema needs to get going and putting him with ludwinski will help his point production and help him get going. Then once he gets going keep him there and then come playoff time put Soto with ludwinski and battaglia again and miedema dominates 2nd/3rd line

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Tibby,, lol
I have said for some time now put miedema on the line with battaglia and ludwinski sub Soto out to play with thibodeau

Miedema needs to get going and putting him with ludwinski will help his point production and help him get going. Then once he gets going keep him there and then come playoff time put Soto with ludwinski and battaglia again and miedema dominates 2nd/3rd line

Thibodeau will get drafted in the 5-6 round. He just does not have the skill and size. for the NHL There are a lot of players that play well in the OHL but are lacking at the pro level.
The other issue may be that no one likes to play with him or on his line.

Like a lot of players, I am not sold on Miedma getting a contract, and I think he will be told what he has to do to earn it. Again you cannot draft size and Buffalo is going to be looking for him to up his game physically as well as consistency.

I agree it might be an idea to put him on Ludwinski's line but then you are punishing one of the other forwards

I don't disagree that they NEED another goalie with Vaccari - but I would be pretty surprised if it's Downey considering he'll be an OA. There is a chance that he sticks with the team while they sort out their OA situation but if he's there post-deadline I'll need to spike every Slush Puppie I have...

I agree that having Downey post-deadline is not a good thing, but I think having 2 goalies who can play and you can rely on is better than revisiting what they have.

I also think that you will see them try to draft a goalie in the Euro if they can.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Like a lot of players, I am not sold on Miedma getting a contract, and I think he will be told what he has to do to earn it. Again you cannot draft size and Buffalo is going to be looking for him to up his game physically as well as consistency.
No way in hell is miedema getting one after this season. Maybe after next season but that’s a big what if like lots of stuff has to happen for him to get that in my mind. Has to work on defence, consistency, skating, finishing for starters and then you mix in physicality as well. It may be 2 more years before he gets one. He could come back as an OA if some major changes don’t happen.
I agree it might be an idea to put him on Ludwinski's line but then you are punishing one of the other forwards
Yes absolutely. Soto a lot of games is invisible honestly and he can’t really create his own offence. I wouldn’t take battaglia or ludwinski apart as they have been a great duo this whole year but subbing out Soto for miedema could work out I believe.
I also think that you will see them try to draft a goalie in the Euro if they can.
Absolutely I see that being the path for sure- have said this since the trade deadline. Also of the last 3 years. 2 of them we have had an import drafted goalie. (Meralainen 2021, Zhigalov 2022) it is likely they try that again as goaltending wasn’t the problem both of those years- defence was. And this year it’s a bit of both but mainly defence again. If we had better defence our goalies numbers would look a lot more solid I’m sure atleast GAA wise

Reactions: beastintheeast

ktownfan

Apr 28, 2022
I agree with your take on Meidema, I do think he will sign , but Buffalo will make him earn it up to the very end. I think they will give him one contract to prove himself. Tibs, I'm not so sure on your prediction but we will see

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I agree with your take on Meidema, I do think he will sign , but Buffalo will make him earn it up to the very end. I think they will give him one contract to prove himself. Tibs, I'm not so sure on your prediction but we will see
Thibodeau although he is very skilled and fast is around 5’9 and 150 lbs right now. In the off season eating as much pasta as he can to bulk up a bit and working on the defensive side of play more would work wonders for him. If he does that he may land himself a contract in the future.

I’m sure he gets drafted here but it’s just a matter of what round. Some lists have him with frasca (which I do not agree with at all) and frasca is a projected 2-4rnd pick right now.

Fronts played decent I found until the 3rd goal London scored then they let all the air out of the sails and gave up I found.

London has the best defence in the league and a former ohl playoff mvp in Simpson but I am still disappointed they couldn’t get atleast 1 or 2 goals past. London is big time. They will go far in the playoffs playing like they did tonight.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
That went exactly as well as I expected. What I didn't expect was Sawyer Boulton to start the damn scoring.... That was the sign that this game was not gonna go well.

Pat of me likes that London's physicality made Kingston play physical, but really they should play that physical without it being a response to the other team.

At this point I think Kingston is locked into the 7 seed - who they play is completely out of their hands.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Medema willnot get a contract at camp. The Sabres will probably show his agent a contract BUT it will be a case of here is what we are intgerested IF he meets these goals.

At best he is looking at after the OHL January deeadlline.

Thibodeau will be a late draft pick teams are not looking for midget one way wonders. But someone will take a flier at him learning how to play 2-way team hockey and adding some height and weight.

Thibodeau although he is very skilled and fast is around 5’9 and 150 lbs right now. In the off season eating as much pasta as he can to bulk up a bit and working on the defensive side of play more would work wonders for him. If he does that he may land himself a contract in the future.

I’m sure he gets drafted here but it’s just a matter of what round. Some lists have him with frasca (which I do not agree with at all) and frasca is a projected 2-4rnd pick right now.

Fronts played decent I found until the 3rd goal London scored then they let all the air out of the sails and gave up I found.

London has the best defence in the league and a former ohl playoff mvp in Simpson but I am still disappointed they couldn’t get atleast 1 or 2 goals past. London is big time. They will go far in the playoffs playing like they did tonight.
Hey, keeping London to only 5 goals is a good thing. This game was more about learning how to play against top talent and getting a chance to see what changes need to be made for the future.

I think 7th is the best to hope for, although if they start to lose a few, Barrie may upset them and make it a fight .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad