Confirmed with Link: Kings Sign Christian Folin (1 Year, $850K)

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Don't get why people act like Gravel was bad or something, he made mistakes, but he was pretty good. I thought he did good in the situation he was thrusted in. Am I remembering wrong?

He wasn't flat out bad, but he was sloppy and looked like he had regressed from last year's debut. I think that's pretty normal, but it was disappointing, as he shows a ton of promise and poise.

But I haven't seen a Kings d-man put themselves in a position to get blown up this much since Davis Drewiske, either.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Gravel nightly failed to handle strong NHL forwards, way too easy giving up the puck.

You can't be an NHL defender doing that.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Great debate love posts like this.

Gravel or Fatenburg are headed to the AHL. Kings won't lose MacDermid, he has the potential to be a Matt Greene except a much better fighter. That would give them the ability to scratch or trade guys like Nolan, Clifford and Andreoff and still maintain some toughness. I really think MacDermid is a diamond and can be something special.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Gravel nightly failed to handle strong NHL forwards, way too easy giving up the puck.

We'll have to see if he shows improvement when he starts the season with the team. I recall Martinez being tarred and feathered in his initial call up, but he adjusted after some time.

I think the last rookie defenseman who looked ready to play as soon as he was inserted into the lineup was Slava Voynov, which helped enable the team to move Jack Johnson. Spending three full seasons in the AHL helped prep him for top four minutes.

Hopefully LaDue makes big strides next season because they need him to cement himself as a top four dman who can provide offense and play on special teams.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
We'll have to see if he shows improvement when he starts the season with the team. I recall Martinez being tarred and feathered in his initial call up, but he adjusted after some time.

I think the last rookie defenseman who looked ready to play as soon as he was inserted into the lineup was Slava Voynov, which helped enable the team to move Jack Johnson. Spending three full seasons in the AHL helped prep him for top four minutes.

Hopefully LaDue makes big strides next season because they need him to cement himself as a top four dman who can provide offense and play on special teams.

With fairly similar concerns, too.

Though with Gravel it was disappointing because he looked great in his first call up before having those issues.

I do think it's a normal development curve, not something damning, but it's worth pointing out he has more lineup challenges now than he did then with the other guys' development and the addition of Fantenberg and Folin.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
If you recall Muzzin was getting destroyed during the Chicago series in 2012-2013. He had a physical side in juniors and occasionally lays someone out with a big hit. Took him a few seasons to learn how to not get destroyed in the corners.

Martinez actually developed a physical side and threw some big hits in the 2012 Cup run.

Voynov, though not a big body checker, was heavy on his stick and in the corners and even had a few fights here and there. He actually had a pretty solid tilt on the KHL in 2015-16 where he won.

LaDue and Gravel need to develop some of above traits or they will not last long.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Yeah Muzzin was dreadful in his rookie year, especially when paired with Greene. He started to gain confidence in 2013-14 when he became Doughty's partner. This past season was probably his worst in his pro career since his rookie year. The Kings are screwed if Muzzin plays like that again.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

Well he's a rookie and while he did stumble here and there during a down year for the Kings, I thought his play individually shows promise. He's an NHL defenseman, there's no denying that.

Kings4thecup

Aug 16, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Well he's a rookie and while he did stumble here and there during a down year for the Kings, I thought his play individually shows promise. He's an NHL defenseman, there's no denying that.

I agree with this Sol. I like Gravel as a defenseman. I don't think Sutter ever put him in the best shot to succeed. As soon as he started to get his flow, Sutter would bench him for a few games and he would have to start over. He definately does have things to work on, but you can see the tools with Gravel. Hopefully he comes in even better this year.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I agree with this Sol. I like Gravel as a defenseman. I don't think Sutter ever put him in the best shot to succeed. As soon as he started to get his flow, Sutter would bench him for a few games and he would have to start over. He definately does have things to work on, but you can see the tools with Gravel. Hopefully he comes in even better this year.

This blaming Sutter for everything garbage has to stop.

Gravel had easy minutes and lots of Offensive zone starts last year.

Sutter handled Gravel like he was a rookie, just like ALL NHL coaches do.

Gravel struggled most of the time, just come out and say it.

I say that as a huge Gravel supporter. I loved the guy in the AHL.

Last edited:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
You guys are in a for a real shock when you see John Stevens (who has to win games) is a lot like Sutter.

Sutter is not any different than the 90% of NHL coaches all trying to do the same thing, WIN GAMES.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
This blaming Sutter for everything garbage has to stop.

Gravel had easy minutes and lots of Offensive zone starts last year.

Sutter handled Gravel like he was a rookie, just like ALL NHL coaches do.

Gravel struggled most of the time, just come out and say it.

I say that as a huge Gravel supporter. I loved the guy in the AHL.

I whole heartedly believe you're wrong, Sutter benched him after he had great games, Gravel didn't get to have consistency or any momentum to build on. As a long time hockey fan, Im really good at spotting players with talent, and I see it in Gravel. When he was confident, he was head and shoulders better than a confident McNabb that Sutter kept playing him over. Sutter did screw up with Gravel. And he wasnt given the opportunity to build up his play.

I've seen you critique rookies unfairly often, you've done it with Pearson, among others. You need to give players time and a chance to build themselves into the NHL. Pearson turned out to be a wonderful player. You can't go around down talking rookies when they're just getting accustomed into the NHL. You do it often, give them time and chance before you make up your mind about them.

When I saw McNabb for the first few months, it was obvious the guy wasn't an NHL defenseman.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I whole heartedly believe you're wrong, Sutter benched him after he had great games, Gravel didn't get to have consistency or any momentum to build on. As a long time hockey fan, Im really good at spotting players with talent, and I see it in Gravel. When he was confident, he was head and shoulders better than a confident McNabb that Sutter kept playing him over. Sutter did screw up with Gravel. And he wasnt given the opportunity to build up his play.

I've seen you critique rookies unfairly often, you've done it with Pearson, among others. You need to give players time and a chance to build themselves into the NHL. Pearson turned out to be a wonderful player. You can't go around down talking rookies when they're just getting accustomed into the NHL. You do it often, give them time and chance before you make up your mind about them.

When I saw McNabb for the first few months, it was obvious the guy wasn't an NHL defenseman.

Does Gravel have the talent to play in the NHL? Yes he does, but so did Davis Drewiskie. He's soft and until he learns to not get hit, or do a better job at absorbing contract he's not going to last long, especially with his stiff competition he'll have in camp.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Does Gravel have the talent to play in the NHL? Yes he does, but so did Davis Drewiskie. He's soft and until he learns to not get hit, or do a better job at absorbing contract he's not going to last long, especially with his stiff competition he'll have in camp.

That's not my point, my point is let's give him some rope, and if he hangs himself then that's that. Let's not do it ourselves.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
That's not my point, my point is let's give him some rope, and if he hangs himself then that's that. Let's not do it ourselves.

What team who's trying to make the playoffs with a roster of underachievers is going to give a rookie defensemen the rope to hang himself?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
What team who's trying to make the playoffs with a roster of underachievers is going to give a rookie defensemen the rope to hang himself?

While some of the newer additions to the roster on defense show some promise, I think it is quite a bit short of a cup contender defense.

I know people will say look at last year's goals against, but the forwards played a large role in shutting other teams down. If the Kings are going to open it up even a little bit more, the less experienced defensemen will get exposed more often.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
While some of the newer additions to the roster on defense show some promise, I think it is quite a bit short of a cup contender defense.

I know people will say look at last year's goals against, but the forwards played a large role in shutting other teams down. If the Kings are going to open it up even a little bit more, the less experienced defensemen will get exposed more often.

We will be rocking a quick in net instead of a budaj though.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

So achieving teams don't give rookies a chance?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad