Confirmed with Link: Kings sign Christian Ehrhoff (1 year, $1.5M)

Minor Boarding

Nov 30, 2011
Corleone

Nice deal. Someone on the trade board said that he prefers the right side, so I'd pair him with McNabb to start.

I expected a veteran defensman signing. Erhoff has a bit of the Mitchell signing feel. Worst case scenario he gets waived. Upside top4 defenseman with solid PP QB abilities.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
FWIW, by his advanced stats, last year was an awful year by his standards; otherwise, he's an excellent possession d-man and he's actually underrated defensively as evidenced by his CA and GA rates. Even last year, though his possession proxies were down, his defensive metrics were up (which jives with what some PItt fans were saying about his being used in a shutdown role and on their awful PP2). So, sounds like last year was off play and misuse along with concussions and a change of scenery; seems like a good bet to bank on recovery, especially at that price and our current situation.

Captain Mittens*

Could this mean a longer than expected suspension for Voynov?

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
enhanced-25942-1427414324-7.jpg

We got both!

That's what I meant! Haha it's just funny looking back at that trade deadline in retrospect.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Has he really fallen off that much? Wasn't he a top pairing guy at one point?

Not very good last season with the Pens but at a one year deal, the risk is minimal. He was also dinged up for a decent chunk of the year.

Ron, update that chart of yours.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Another d-man who is better than Matt Greene. Lets see what happens, as of now the Kings top six d-man are Doughty, Muzzin, Voynov, Martinez, Muzzin and Ehrhoff. Who knows how long they make Slava sit, apparently an entire season may not be enough.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Another d-man who is better than Matt Greene. Lets see what happens, as of now the Kings top six d-man are Doughty, Muzzin, Voynov, Martinez, Muzzin and Ehrhoff. Who knows how long they make Slava sit, apparently an entire season may not be enough.

A season where he was paid, I completely understand the want to suspend him where he won't be paid.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Still confused as to why LA decided to clone Muzzin instead of Doughty but hey you only get one clone per team. :sarcasm:

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
A season where he was paid, I completely understand the want to suspend him where he won't be paid.

I understand that as well, but it brings me back to an old gripe I've had since day one. All this Voynov BS has punished the Kings more than Voynov. Suspending him for a year with pay, followed by a lengthy non-paid suspension, again hurts the Kings.

And that echoes Lombardi's early passive aggressive remarks: sorry, NHL, I should have known my player was a wife beater. My bad.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Good gamble. Just about every defenseman Lombardi has brought on board has performed at or above expectations. I expect a resurgence from Ehrhoff due to the Kings system and miraculous trainer healing powers.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
VERY happy with this news. Cheap, one year, and it gives us flexibility. I was not comfortable with Martinez being handed second pairing minutes after his play last year, now he's got to earn it

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
I forgot to post this but Sirius NHL network radio was doing their summer team specials and two weeks ago was the Kings and they had Jim Fox on.

He pretty much said he didn't expect Voynov to start the season with the Kings.

That was a bit of shock to me, so if Foxy said that and probably hears more than what we do from inside management, this is what why this signing happened.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I forgot to post this but Sirius NHL network radio was doing their summer team specials and two weeks ago was the Kings and they had Jim Fox on.

That was a bit of shock to me, so if Foxy said that and probably hears more than what we do from inside management, this is what why this signing happened.

If that was meant as in "not active", it's no shock, I think most expect him to be suspended 20 games or so. Now, if it was said to mean that he won't be in the organization, that would be a surprise.

I recall someone saying something in the last couple of weeks about "Jim Fox thinks he is gonna be traded". Perhaps the same interview, that would make sense.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010

Isn't he expected to be out with his injury anyways?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Richards and Voynov are the new Allison and Deadmarsh. Can't wait until there's finality to the situation. However it goes, just anything definitive. I'm losing my mind. "...oh, but Richards and Voynov", "Oh yeah, but Richards and Voynov", "Yes, but, Richards and Voynov", "But Voynov", "Then there's Richards", "Then, but, and what if this and that and all the other things". What about Bob? Nobody ever thinks of him.

Captain Mittens*

Richards and Voynov are the new Allison and Deadmarsh. Can't wait until there's finality to the situation. However it goes, just anything definitive. I'm losing my mind. "...oh, but Richards and Voynov", "Oh yeah, but Richards and Voynov", "Yes, but, Richards and Voynov", "But Voynov", "Then there's Richards", "Then, but, and what if this and that and all the other things". What about Bob? Nobody ever thinks of him.

WI'll Voynov be back by christmas?

Ron*

Not very good last season with the Pens but at a one year deal, the risk is minimal. He was also dinged up for a decent chunk of the year.

Ron, update that chart of yours.

I'm still out and about. Will do it later today.

Interesting cap implications...

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Sorry I meant a McNabb in the top 6. Well, my Top 6, which means little since Matt Greene will be in there over him.

I think this signing is bad news for anyone who wanted to see McNabb playing and Forbort on the NHL roster.

McNabb was screwed over last season and Forbort looks like he will be in the AHL agan, this will be the 6th season since being drafted in the middle of the first round in 2010.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad