Prospect Info: Kings Prospects in the CHL/College

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
"With his development"....what development? That may had been the plan at the time of the draft, but I am not sure it was expected he would be out this long. I mean has he had any development this year? And with it being back, he likely hasn't been able to throw on the pounds like young guys need to before making the jump.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
He's been rehabbing in L.A. since the draft, all under the watchful eyes of the staff. If he's rumored to be in L.A. next year I'd say it's likely.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
He's been rehabbing in L.A. since the draft, all under the watchful eyes of the staff. If he's rumored to be in L.A. next year I'd say it's likely.
I’ll take it further by stating that Gabe Vilardi has a grown man, NHL body now .. heck even when he was drafted but his conditioning is what will determine his level of competition next season...
I’ll say it again, I think both Vilardi and Amadio will be on the KINGS next season...

Reactions: Rekingsfan17

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
I’ll take it further by stating that Gabe Vilardi has a grown man, NHL body now .. heck even when he was drafted but his conditioning is what will determine his level of competition next season...
I’ll say it again, I think both Vilardi and Amadio will be on the KINGS next season...

That would be crazy thing to happen; could you imagine the youth in the line up...

Gaborik--Kopitar--Brown
Pearson--Carter--Toffoli
Kempe--Vilardi--Brodzinski
Lewis--Amaido--Shore
Clifford

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Settle down, the kid hasn't played a game this season yet and didn't play a full season last year. I'd pause before inserting him as 3rd line center Next year. Not many 19 yr olds can make that jump especially after his last two seasons were shortened due to injury. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to see him play, but I think it's a long shot he makes LA NEXT season.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Settle down, the kid hasn't played a game this season yet and didn't play a full season last year. I'd pause before inserting him as 3rd line center Next year. Not many 19 yr olds can make that jump especially after his last two seasons were shortened due to injury. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited to see him play, but I think it's a long shot he makes LA NEXT season.

That's why we're questioning the quotes, FE--see above where his (now former) GM suggests they could trade him because they believe he'll be in the NHL next year.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Perhaps Rychel is really confident in Vilardi's abilities to turn pro quickly. He is without a doubt the most skilled player the Kings have drafted since... Kopitar perhaps. But we'll have to see if he'll be able to physically withstand the competition at this level. First, let's see how he does coming back from his injury and after a long layoff.

Vilardi is still only 18 and in his third season of juniors. If he comes back with a bang with Kingston, then there may be little reason to have him return for a fourth season in the OHL. But we haven't even seen him step foot at training camp or in any preseason games yet, so I'll hold off on penciling him into the lineup next season.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
That's why we're questioning the quotes, FE--see above where his (now former) GM suggests they could trade him because they believe he'll be in the NHL next year.

And Rychel believes that because the Kings believe that. Rychel has been in close contact with the Kings. He knows the writing is on the wall, so he's doing what's best for his team in the future. Futa told me personally that Vilardi is a Kopitar like skilled player, he's that good. I'll take his word for it since I haven't seen him play, and I have belief that Futa knows talent when he sees it. He is already a man size player at 6-3, 205 or so. Kopi started at 19. Vilardi is following in his tracks. Unless he has another physical set back, I expect he'll be in LA next year.

As for Amadio, I'm on the Amadio train. I've seen the majority of the games he has played for the last year and a half. I've always thought he was a Mike Richards type player (smarts, high hockey IQ, good hands, excellent passer with vision, creative, win puck battles, creates turnovers) with the exception of the physical aspect. He's only 21, he'll get better. He just needs some skill on his wings. He's a decent skater, but not fast. Face offs need work. He just does a lot of thing well. Kings are high on him. He looks like a 3C type with maybe a 2C ceiling down the road (potential, not sure). Like some other posters, I believe both have a strong chance at the roster next year. The Nick Shore's of the world maybe be on the way out. We'll see. Obviously they have to prove it.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
If Vilardi is as good as advertised, it poses serious matchup problems for other teams. I wouldn't expect him to have a Kopitar like rookie year, but anything even close would mean that one of the 3 top lines would have the potential to feast on other teams bottom pairings, home or road.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Some questioned Vilardi's ability to play Center in the NHL going into the draft last year, maybe if they see him playing a wing making the jump next year is more feasible?

I don't recall if Futa and Co saw him as a wing long-term (doubt it), but i'm not sure.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Some questioned Vilardi's ability to play Center in the NHL going into the draft last year, maybe if they see him playing a wing making the jump next year is more feasible?

I don't recall if Futa and Co saw him as a wing long-term (doubt it), but i'm not sure.

That would actually make a whole lot of sense and really play more to his strengths. I'm not sure he'll ever skate well enough to be as dominant at center as he could be on the boards and down low in coverage and driving the net from the outside; we have Kopitar, Carter, Kempe for that.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
That would actually make a whole lot of sense and really play more to his strengths. I'm not sure he'll ever skate well enough to be as dominant at center as he could be on the boards and down low in coverage and driving the net from the outside; we have Kopitar, Carter, Kempe for that.

Funny you say his skating will be his biggest obstacle, a few people have gone on record as saying that his overall speed his NHL average now with his area quickness and agility at elite level for a kid his size... his skating is a bit ugly but watch his game tape and you'll see the kid is always initiating the plays and again for a big kid he sure had a lot of break aways....

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Funny you say his skating will be his biggest obstacle, a few people have gone on record as saying that his overall speed his NHL average now with his area quickness and agility at elite level for a kid his size... his skating is a bit ugly but watch his game tape and you'll see the kid is always initiating the plays and again for a big kid he sure had a lot of break aways....

I've watched for that as well and it seems like Toffoli syndrome--a bit of an ugly stride but can get to where he needs to go. I'm just saying that's his only clearly missing tool. Think of guys like joe thornton and jason allison. He may never have breakaway speed but he may never need it, but the Kings system asks their centers to cover a lot of ice. Why not play to his strengths?

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I've watched for that as well and it seems like Toffoli syndrome--a bit of an ugly stride but can get to where he needs to go. I'm just saying that's his only clearly missing tool. Think of guys like joe thornton and jason allison. He may never have breakaway speed but he may never need it, but the Kings system asks their centers to cover a lot of ice. Why not play to his strengths?
The kid is NHL good, the big question is will his health permit him to prove it... can’t wait to find out though !!!

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Good start. Of course, not too much can be read into one game, but a good start is better than a bad one

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
Is it just me? I see nothing from Clague that indicates he is anywhere near ready for the NHL much less a potential star. I'm struggling just to see an NHL player there at any level.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Is it just me? I see nothing from Clague that indicates he is anywhere near ready for the NHL much less a potential star. I'm struggling just to see an NHL player there at any level.
Second straight bad tourney from the kid but other than that he’s been dynamic...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad