Status
Not open for further replies.

Rekingsfan17

Aug 23, 2017
LA Kings Insider wrote;

Tony Gasparini shares prospect updates on Hults, Anderson and Eyssimont

Jon RosenNovember 14, 20171 Comment
Prospects and Scouting
LA Kings Insider spoke with Los Angeles Kings Amateur Scout – United States, Tony Gasparini, to get a sense of how three NCAA-based American prospects have begun their collegiate seasons. First, there’s 19-year-old Cole Hults, a defenseman whose eight-game point streak came to an end over the weekend during Penn State’s back-to-back losses to Notre Dame. Still, he leads all freshman NCAA defensemen with 11 points (2-9=11) through his first 12 games.
Like Hults, Minnesota-Duluth defenseman Mikey Anderson is another freshman who will draw consideration from USA Hockey when it comes time to put the United States’ World Junior Championships team together. The left-shooting 18-year-old defenseman has missed time early in the season but has still posted seven points (3-4=7) in nine games, with two of his three goals coming on the power play.
St. Cloud State forward Mikey Eyssimont also missed time early in the season but enters the week with two goals and seven points in eight games; he nearly added a third goal to his name during the first of St. Cloud’s back-to-back losses to Denver, but his would-be Friday marker was negated because of goaltender interference. Now in his third year in college, he’ll be a player who will draw strong consideration for an entry-level contract upon the conclusion of his junior season with the Huskies.
LA Kings Insider: Cole Hults came to development camp with a body and stature that appeared ready for collegiate play, and he’s been producing at both ends of the ice for Penn State. Where exactly is he at, early in his freshman year? What has impressed you about Hults, and what will he continue to work on?
Tony Gasparini: He’s had a real good start to his collegiate career. He’s one of the top scoring defensemen in the country in addition to being the top scoring freshman defenseman in the country right now, and he’s got very good natural feel and ability to make plays with the puck in all three zones, and he has a tremendous amount of poise that goes along with that. He’s making the transition in regards to his play away from the puck, becoming more assertive without it, closing gaps, finishing off physically with intent. He’s in a great development situation. He’s playing top pairing minutes right from the start, and he’s on both of their special teams units. He’s a young man that he’s going to have a bright future ahead of him as long as he keeps working, and that’s something that he dedicated himself to the last two summers. He’s a really good kid, and having had the opportunity to watch him play the last two years in the USHL and then this season right now, he’s making the necessary strides towards one day becoming a pro.
LAKI: When you were scouting him in the USHL, did you have the sense that his skill set would transfer into somebody that was capable of providing offense?
TG: I think it was secondary. I think a lot of his points thus this year have come on the power play, and they’ve got a really good power play going. However, in his second year in the USHL, I thought the majority of his points came from his play in transition. Like, I thought he moved pucks up really quick, and that allowed the team to get moving and attack with speed. I thought that would be the majority of his points, but obviously he’s kind of added a little bit of an element through confidence that he gained last year in the USHL from the offensive blue line. He has to be respected up top on the power play because he does shoot it so well. That’s an element that maybe we undervalued a little bit in looking at him in the USHL, but in saying that, he was still one of the top five scoring [defensemen] last year in the United States league.
Cole Hults; 6’2, 195; May 22, 1998; Stoughton, WI; Shoots Left; 5th Round, 2017

LAKI: How has Mikey Anderson’s freshman season started out in Duluth?
TG: Mikey, he got injured a couple weeks ago. I believe he had a slight concussion that he was dealing with. I think he’s going to be back on the ice again this week. He’s had a real strong start. Didn’t expect Mikey to be putting up these kind of numbers that he did from the beginning. His game is very solid, very dependable both ways. His greatest asset is probably just his level of competitiveness. This young man is a hockey player, and he thrives to compete in those one-on-one situations despite only being six feet tall. He makes really quick decisions with the puck. He’s very efficient coming out of his zone. He’s got some intangibles that are going to carry him a long way. That’s a pretty special young man.
LAKI: And with his skill set, given the importance of pace of play and the ability to move pucks, is he one of those hybrid-style, smaller defenders that you see more and more of?
TG: I think so. You know, I don’t know if it’s so much the size, but I think if you start looking at it, it’s the traits that are coming in – the skating, and the ability to make quick, responsible decision going through options with the puck. And I think those are probably the traits that maybe everyone is trending towards. You have to be able to retrieve pucks, you have to be able to make quick plays with them, but you want to do so where it’s not only one option. You want to be able to show enough poise and play with your head up that you can sort through your options in a quick amount of time in order to get pucks out of your zone. I think those traits in regards to being able to skate, being able to retrieve pucks and being able to sort with the puck on your stick in a quick fashion, I think those are the traits that you’re looking at. Cole is improving the pace of his game at Penn State because they play a really up-tempo game, but he has those traits with the puck on his stick. Mikey [Anderson] – he has those traits. He does make very, very quick decisions, and you see a lot of pre-puck awareness in his game where he knows where he’s going to go prior to touching that puck.
Mikey Anderson; 6’0, 196; May 25, 1999; Roseville, MN; Shoots Left; 4th Round, 2017

LAKI: Mikey Eyssimont has always shown strong playmaking and the ability to put up points. How is that transferring into his third NCAA season at St. Cloud?
TG: Well, he had a little bit of a rough start this year in which he was sick off the ice, which took him out of the first couple weeks. It’s going to be another two or three weeks before he’s back to 100%. He’s playing his way back into shape right now, but you’re starting to see flashes of his skill level, which is exceptional. Like, his individual skill level, his ability to make plays, create offense, especially on the half-court and especially on the power play, is very impressive. It’s a matter of Mikey gaining that strength back in which he worked so hard this past summer to add on. So, it’s going to take a little time. I would expect you’re going to see him take off in the second half of the season, and he’s hovering around a point-a-game now, which is very good. He’s been a point-a-game guy almost for two years in college now, but I would expect in the second half of this year – and St. Cloud is one of the top programs in the country this year – so I would expect in the second half, I would hope to see a little boost as he starts to get back. But his skill set is a little different. He separates himself due to his skill set and his offensive instincts. He’s got a will to score goals and a will to produce offensively. It’s just a matter of him gaining enough strength so he can play at a faster pace and play a more complete game without the puck.
Mikey Eyssimont; 6’0, 181; September 9, 1996; Littleton, CO; Shoots Left; 5th Round, 2016

Reactions: Fat Elvis

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kale Clague still killing it. 33 pts in 19 games, which is good for 15th overall, but he missed a couple of games. His 1.74 PPG is 8th overall in the WHL. For context, the next closest d-man in scoring has 28 in 21 games (29th overall) and 1.33 PPG (26th). That's Henri Jokiharju, a 1st rounder last year. Kid is smoking everyone.

But then, it's not about his offense, that's not a question (though it's nice to see him confirming it); it's about his defensive development.

Reactions: KingTrouty

Sam

Feb 27, 2002
Kale Clague - Brandon, WHL: 23 GP, 11 G, 26 A, 37 Pts, 29 PIM, +22
Drake Rymsha - Sarnia, OHL: 26 GP, 12 G, 21 A, 33 Pts, 26 PIM, +9
Austin Strand - Seattle, WHL: 26 GP, 10 G, 17 A, 27 Pts, 29 PIM, -5
Jaret Anderson-Dolan - Spokane, WHL: 24 GP, 10 G, 16 A, 26 Pts, 8 PIM, +1
Jacob Moverare - Mississauga, OHL: 24 GP, 1 G, 17 A, 18 Pts, 6 PIM, -5
Markus Phillips - Owen Sound, OHL: 25 GP, 3 G, 10 A, 13 Pts, 18 PIM, -9
Chaz Reddekopp - Victoria, WHL: 24 GP, 3 G, 9 A, 12 Pts, 26 PIM, 0
Jacob Friend - Owen Sound, OHL: 25 GP, 1 G, 8 A, 9 Pts, 36 PIM, +10

Matthew Villalta - Sault St. Marie, OHL: 18 GP, 15-2-1, 2.38 GAA, 91.2 SV%, 1 SO

Cole Hults - Penn State, Big Ten: 16 GP, 2 G, 9 A, 11 Pts, 25 PIM
Mikey Eyssimont - St. Cloud State, NCHC: 10 GP, 2 G, 7 A, 9 Pts, 14 PIM
Michael Anderson - Minnesota-Duluth, NCHC: 12 GP, 3 G, 6 A, 9 Pts, 8 PIM
Steven Johnson - Minnesota, Big Ten: 16 GP, 2 G, 5 A, 7 Pts, 6 PIM

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Hattrick for Drake Rymsha, about time. He needed some goals. Funny detail, Sarnia Sting were up 6-0 and lost with 6-7...

One thing I notice, Rymsha is incredibly strong with face offs.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Also Mikey Anderson and Cole Hults make the preliminary roster for Team USA.

And I'm expecting a big WJC for Clague. He did well last tournament, but should be even better this year. Especially as their number 1 defenseman.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
After reading all the comments on this board about Clague, I don't even know what to think anymore since it doesn't jive at all with what Button just said. So many emotions, leading me to conclude:
1) Kings fans are inherently overly pessimistic
2) Button is an idiot
3) Canada's defense must suck if Clague is indeed the best CHL defenseman
4) Perhaps my thoughts are not mutually exclusive and they are all true! hahaha

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Clague is a phenomenal prospect, we just worry about the development of his defensive game. His transition and offense are basically beyond reproach, haha, and people are starting to compare his game to Keith (who obviously took a while to break in himself so I dig that comparison). He's obviously got the smarts, he's just needs the head-swivel awareness and to improve his checking (not overly big so going to have to position and leverage like Voynov).

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Most of us are cautious not to label Clague a superstar, then deal with the disappointment of him not living up to expectations.

Take the preseason for example. He looked out of place and unprepared to play at this level in the game he appeared in against the Ducks. He got crushed a couple of times because he doesn't have the same amount of time and space to think as he does at juniors.

Of course, I didn't expect him to set the world on fire in preseason either, and he's exactly where he should be in his development, and he'll get a great opportunity to shine at the WJC.

That said, I still don't consider him to be a "superstar." I'll reserve that label for the Doughty's of the hockey world.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Most of us care cautious not to label Clague a superstar, then deal with the disappointment of him not living up to expectations.

Take the preseason for example. He looked out of place and unprepared to play at this level in the game he appeared in against the Ducks. He got crushed a couple of times because he doesn't have the same amount of time and space to think as he does at juniors.

Of course, I didn't expect him to set the world on fire in preseason either, and he's exactly where he should be in his development, and he'll get a great opportunity to shine at the WJC.

That said, I still don't consider him to be a "superstar." I'll reserve that label for the Doughty's of the hockey world.

Superstar, No.. but I can't help but think he has some J.Klingberg to his game... so im guessing his potential is that of a PP stud with top 4 Dman pairing..

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Superstar, No.. but I can't help but think he has some J.Klingberg to his game... so im guessing his potential is that of a PP stud with top 4 Dman pairing..

He could be, or he could also turn out to be the next John Slaney.
John Slaney

Best defenseman in the OHL.
Best defenseman in the CHL.
WJC Gold Medal in '91.
Drafted 9th overall by the Capitals in '90.

Ended up being a high scoring defenseman... in the AHL.

A classic example of why fans shouldn't place these guys on any pedestal before they step foot on an NHL ice surface.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
He could be, or he could also turn out to be the next John Slaney.
John Slaney

Best defenseman in the OHL.
Best defenseman in the CHL.
WJC Gold Medal in '91.
Drafted 9th overall by the Capitals in '90.

Ended up being a high scoring defenseman... in the AHL.

A classic example of why fans shouldn't place these guys on any pedestal before they step foot on an NHL ice surface.

Given the Kings history with drafting and developing Dmen i'm more inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt. Doughty, Muzzin, Forbort, Voynov, Martinez, Hickey, McKeown, Miller, McNabb, Gravel, LaDue.. they have a good track record, but I agree that next season in Ontario will give a better idea of the type of player he'll be for us since the production of our AHL defensemen has completely translated to NHL production..

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Re Clague I'd be extremely happy if we get a solid top 4 LHD puck mover for a start. Button says he's a sure fire NHLer, so I'll take his word on that since he seems to have a pretty good idea about CHL talent. And if you're a top pairing guy for Canada in the World Jrs tourney, you're a pretty darn good player. The big thing will be for him to mature physically, especially since he if not a 6-2 6-3 guy. A solid jr year this year, and a solid rookie year in ONT, then we'll know a lot better about where he is at.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Is there anyway the thread titles could get updated? Just remove the years - I don’t think we’re talking about 2015-16 players right now.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Re Clague I'd be extremely happy if we get a solid top 4 LHD puck mover for a start. Button says he's a sure fire NHLer, so I'll take his word on that since he seems to have a pretty good idea about CHL talent. And if you're a top pairing guy for Canada in the World Jrs tourney, you're a pretty darn good player. The big thing will be for him to mature physically, especially since he if not a 6-2 6-3 guy. A solid jr year this year, and a solid rookie year in ONT, then we'll know a lot better about where he is at.

Clague is developing amazingly well right now. I wouldn't be surprised if he pushes for a spot with the Kings next year.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I can see 6-8 guys in the minors that could/should crack the lineup next season...
Should
Michael Amadio
Paul LaDue
Jack Campbell
Kevin Gravel(Unless traded/released)
Could
Kale Clague
Cal Petersen
Austin Wagner
Gabriel Vilardi

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I can see 6-8 guys in the minors that could/should crack the lineup next season...
Should
Michael Amadio
Paul LaDue
Jack Campbell
Kevin Gravel(Unless traded/released)
Could
Kale Clague
Cal Petersen
Austin Wagner
Gabriel Vilardi

Interesting list. Wagner is the biggest long shot in the group right now, probably by quite a bit. All except Wagner should get at least one NHL preseason game. Wagner will depend on how his game translates this season. He's only had a couple games pro so far, looks pretty raw on structure, so this is going to be a process. Campbell and LaDue should be at the top of the list, followed by Amadio then Gravel. Of course, Clague and Vilardi are blue chippers, so they will have a shot, and Petersen has also been very good.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Interesting list. Wagner is the biggest long shot in the group right now, probably by quite a bit. All except Wagner should get at least one NHL preseason game. Wagner will depend on how his game translates this season. He's only had a couple games pro so far, looks pretty raw on structure, so this is going to be a process. Campbell and LaDue should be at the top of the list, followed by Amadio then Gravel. Of course, Clague and Vilardi are blue chippers, so they will have a shot, and Petersen has also been very good.

We're about to go from being a washed up former contender in need of a rebuild to a team that crowbarred that sucker opened and might get a few more seasons from an older core...
I look at what this team is, whats on the farm and how they can field a team... and let me say i'm pretty surprised at the job the scouting department has done identifying people in Europe, the draft and as UFA... Maybe the axing of DL and DS also had an impact on the scouts who can now go for their guys instead of system guys...

Iafallo -Kopitar - Brown
Pearson - Carter - Toffoli
Kempe - Amadio - Gaborik
Lewis - Shore(RFA) - Brodzinski
Jokinen(UFA) - Vilardi(ELC) - Mitchell(UFA)
Clifford - JAD - Andreoff
are all possibilities next season... thats a good option to have after our lack of depth these past 2-3 seasons
Muzzin - Doughty
Forbort - Martinez
MacDermid(RFA) - Fantenberg(RFA)
Folin(UFA) - Clague
LaDue(RFA) - Gravel(RFA)

Quick
Kuemper(UFA)
Campbell
Petersen

Reactions: lumbergh

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kale Clague playing with cheat codes.

His scoring year to year:
14-15: 4+9=13, -1, 20 games
15-16: 6+37=43, +25, 71 games
16-17: 5+35=40, -8, 48 games
17-18: 10+37-47, +31, 28 games.

Tied for 10th in overall scoring, 6th in PPG. ALso leading the entire league in +/- at 31, next closest on his team is at 17.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad