GDT: Kings @ Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Sad reality.. Whats for sure is this team can't survive another reabuild or 5-500 year "blueprint".

If Tallon goes we don't need a rebuild. We need a Bowman or Lombardi, some to finish the job. Tallon has a lot of great things building a development pipeline and stocking great talent. Having a GM not attached to every pick and ready to address the needs would be what is needed.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
If Tallon goes we don't need a rebuild. We need a Bowman or Lombardi, some to finish the job. Tallon has a lot of great things building a development pipeline and stocking great talent. Having a GM not attached to every pick and ready to address the needs would be what is needed.

Exactly.

Tweaking, not rebuilding please!

EstConf96*

Agree with you. I just got lost thinking that way after so many years with Tallon.

Jacob Roberts

Jan 27, 2011
Jinju, S Korea
Again you're confusing skating as purely = acceleration & speed. The term you're looking for is a fast skater, which Campbell hasn't been for a few years now.

To be fair on Campbell's part, Gaborik even though he isn't his old self, is still one of the fastest guys around. We don't have anyone on the roster, defencemen nor forwards, that would catch him if Gaborik got a step ahead.

Hallelujah. Well it's a start for someone to at least agree that he isn't a "fast skater".

But after speed an acceleration what is left? Agility? What's the point of being agile if you can't be it at a high speed? It's like saying someone's a great runner, just not very fast anymore. What does that mean?

Of course Gab is still fast but he had enough speed to go around BC then cut back in for an uncontested shot. Did it in half the strides that BC needed to, and skated a longer distance. Point is it was a clear demonstration of BC compared to a legit skater and BC got smoked.

When people tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, sorry but I gotta use airtime to defend myself.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Teams needs

Get harder as a group. Menalty, physically and emotionally.

Get a killer instinct

Come out like a house on fire and set the tone.

Get players other than Gudbranson & Petrovic to finish a check hard.

Stop being so comfortable and poised. Sometimes it pays off for some guys to play PO'd.

I have a bone to pick with whoever said this team reminds them of the Panthers of the 90's. I think it was Potvin. Do they really? I remember the team in the 90's used to set the tone more often than not. I remember they were all hard. Not one guy on the team was soft. Even guys with scoring touch were hard.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
3oEdv5Enia9EKcRvb2.gif

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Mitchell staring at the play in the corner. Looking at that on repeater, it's sad that even if Lu makes a save there Trocheck is in no position to battle for the rebound.

It's Montoya, but same idea. :)

Mitchell looked at where Toffoli was too...slot was left wide open

Givememoneyback

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
It's Montoya, but same idea. :)

Mitchell looked at where Toffoli was too...slot was left wide open

At least I put the details of that game behind me:naughty:. Who can blame Mitchell though, it's not like Toffoli has outscored anyone on the cats.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
I could see it. Another losing season could really destroy what is left of the fanbase.

They would be playing in front of a full house every night if they moved. It would do wonders for their energy if a mad crowd is chanting GO every few minutes and hanging on every shot. Owners would make money. I'm not sure why it isn't in the works right now.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
They would be playing in front of a full house every night if they moved. It would do wonders for their energy if a mad crowd is chanting GO every few minutes and hanging on every shot. Owners would make money. I'm not sure why it isn't in the works right now.
You have to have 80% of the Board of Governors (owners) approval for a move. In sale/move, the owners would lose the money that comes from buying a new franchise that is evenly split. Bettman is still the puppetmaster on controlling sale/moves and awards of new franchises. Viola/Cifu would have to show severe financial hardship and even then the league could vote to take the team over until new owners could be found for South Florida. Once they exhaust all alternatives, then you may see a sale.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Mitchell staring at the play in the corner. Looking at that on repeater, it's sad that even if Lu makes a save there Trocheck is in no position to battle for the rebound.
Guds very physically weak on this play along with Mitchell not stepping out.

Guds weak on Marchand goal and Reinhart goal in last 10 days. He is not a shut down defenseman. He can block shots and lay hits on people but is not a guy to disrupt passing lanes and physically be in position to shutdown another teams top line.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
You have to have 80% of the Board of Governors (owners) approval for a move. In sale/move, the owners would lose the money that comes from buying a new franchise that is evenly split. Bettman is still the puppetmaster on controlling sale/moves and awards of new franchises. Viola/Cifu would have to show severe financial hardship and even then the league could vote to take the team over until new owners could be found for South Florida. Once they exhaust all alternatives, then you may see a sale.

their losses were reported in October right? 99 mil or so I believe.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Why on earth would they do that? It has to be for the venue.
The deal is they give back the rights to the land next to BB&T in exchange for $86M from the county over 12 years. The Cats must continue to pay a little over $5M per year in debt relief for the arena. The $86M would be over the final 12 years of the contract and would be frontloaded to the tune of $12m per year. They were still negotiating the number of years on the frontloading, but it wouldn't shock me if it was for the full 7 years. The seven years would basically guarantee the Cats would have to stay for at least 7 of the 12 yrs remaining. I don't have the exact number but the owners still get around $8 to $10M per year in profit from the various shows that are held year round at the BB&T. So if they are losing $27 to $35M per year then the $12M plus the $8 to $10M can be subtracted for a more realistic number. With tax writeoffs and various increases in valuation of the team, they will do just fine if and when they sell the team.

Also, as owners the will get between $15-$20M per new team that is awarded a franchise during that period. Couple that with an rising increase in revenue from the TV package the NHL signed and I don't feel sorry for any owner of a professional sports team.

Last edited:

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
The deal is they give back the rights to the land next to BB&T in exchange for $86M from the county over 12 years. The Cats must continue to pay a little over $5M per year in debt relief for the arena. The $86M would be over the final 12 years of the contract and would be frontloaded to the tune of $12m per year. They were still negotiating the number of years on the frontloading, but it wouldn't shock me if it was for the full 7 years. The seven years would basically guarantee the Cats would have to stay for at least 7 of the 12 yrs remaining. I don't have the exact number but the owners still get around $8 to $10M per year in profit from the various shows that are held year round at the BB&T. So if they are losing $27 to $35M per year then the $12M plus the $8 to $10M can be subtracted for a more realistic number. With tax writeoffs and various increases in valuation of the team, they will do just fine if and when they sell the team.

Also, as owners the will get between $15-$20M per new team that is awarded a franchise during that period. Couple that with an rising increase in revenue from the TV package the NHL signed and I don't feel sorry for any owner of a professional sports team.

After reading that it's a mystery why they would have to ice a competitive team at all. Just wow.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
After reading that it's a mystery why they would have to ice a competitive team at all. Just wow.
They are still a couple of competitive guys and they can't get back the money they already lost until they sell the team. I think they will give it their best shot as a continuous cup contending team is worth about double of what they could get today. Add to that the continuing rise in the cost of any pro sports franchise and it should be a winner for those who have the deep pockets to stick around until the end.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
They are still a couple of competitive guys and they can't get back the money they already lost until they sell the team. I think they will give it their best shot as a continuous cup contending team is worth about double of what they could get today. Add to that the continuing rise in the cost of any pro sports franchise and it should be a winner for those who have the deep pockets to stick around until the end.

I'm guessing the key word being should. They will have done what nobody else could. To that I can only wish them luck. They are gonna need it.

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
Relocating wouldn't be that bad come to think of it. Theyd probably start winning more. Most of us here would still think of them as our Panthers team, even with a name change. How many of us go to more than 2 games a year? A relocation would probably add a few yrs back to our lives that this team has unabashedly taken away from us over the past 2 decades

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Relocating wouldn't be that bad come to think of it. Theyd probably start winning more. Most of us here would still think of them as our Panthers team, even with a name change. How many of us go to more than 2 games a year? A relocation would probably add a few yrs back to our lives that this team has unabashedly taken away from us over the past 2 decades

There are a lot of us SSOs here. It would be a huge deal.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

Whether it's for 5 or 7 it's irrelevant because if they jumped ship at 4 or 5 the league would take over and attempt to find new ownership till the outclause in 2022 and if that kicked in reevaluate at that point and probably move them for the 2023-2024 season.

But this thread has taken a dark turn, I'm making a pregame thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad