GDT: Kings @ Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Elite skating by Campbell on that last goal ;)
He's a great skater but just doesn't have the wheels of his younger years. Gaborik has tremendous acceleration and even though Soup had the angle on him he still beat him to the net.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
again, when you can only rely on 5 forwards (emphasis on barkov and jagr), and 1 d to score our goals, that makes it hard to consistently win games. we have a solid d corp, good goaltending, we can grind out close games but we don't have that offense yet. we never have. ekblad has 4 goals, the other 5 d combine for 2 goals. huberdeau, bolland, jussi, and pirri aren't supplying goals, yes they each bring something to the table that doesn't make them useless (except for pirri) but when ekblad, a defenseman, has twice as many goals as huberdeau and bolland combined, theres something off there.

my biggest concern is just staying competitive so we can extend jagr. keeping him is of dire importance and if we falter towards deadline time, why would he want to resign here? after getting out of nj he's showing the nhl what he's still capable of and there are plenty of teams, good teams too, that will gladly offer him a top-6 spot and good money. we could get a 1st out of a win-now team, i don't wanna lose him for nothing, and above all else i want him extended. hell, id rather give bolland's 3 remaining years at that 5.5per to jagr, even at his age, he's more deserving of it. not taking a shot at bolland with that comment, just showing how important jagr is that id be fine with him extended for 3yrs even at his age. would still be better than giving 4yrs to jovo.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Anyone think if the shoe were on the other foot and we were playing the Kings on a back to back that we would have given the same effort the Kings did tonight? Hats off to them for knowing how to play out of the comfort zone and leaving it all on the ice.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
GR says he talked to Panthers and Grimaldi isn't going anywhere. It's amazing what can happen when you have your lawyer call Tallon.:)

ebulldog

Mar 25, 2015
Same ol myth. We're doing fine in the goal scoring department.

They are 19th in the league.
Do you think with the current roster that this is a playoff team, give or take the 1 or 2 guys Gallant coin flips per game on who plays or sits??

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
You guys have a good one in Barkov. We'll give you Kopitar for him. :)

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
They are 19th in the league.
Do you think with the current roster that this is a playoff team, give or take the 1 or 2 guys Gallant coin flips per game on who plays or sits??

It can be. But they're young. 19th in the league is about where we should be this year. We play a defensive system with an average offensive team to begin with.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
well i agree with "can" be a playoff team, and that we play a defensive style with an average offensive team. but we'll be lower than 19th in the league in goals. a lot of those teams under us in that department shouldn't be and won't be by the end of the season. we'll be around a bottom-8 team in goals probably. so i guess an average to below average offense unless guys starts scoring like pirri and huberdeau and defensemen not named ekblad.

on a separate note, nathan horton was at the game today. he was wearing a marlins hat and was with his wife and kids.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
The Kings are an elite team just as the Rangers are. They have a solid foundation defensively and offensively and they don't need a lot of chances to score.

Both are clearly ahead of us. But when the Cats execute their game plan well and give it all, they can compete with anybody.

It is clear that we lack scoring star power. Nevertheless, we are difficult to play against.

As frustrating as it is (and please don't start with the history of the last 20 years again, I was there too), we are not that bad and we can be a wild card team with some luck.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
I took my dad to the game. It was fun.

I don't think its time to panic. The Kings are a much better team. We competed well in the 2nd and 3rd, carrying the play at times. It could have been a different game with some more luck. Reilly Smith hit the crossbar, bad bounce on Martinez goal.

I was dissapointed with the effort in the 1st period, they just gave those 20 minutes away. Can't beat the Kings doing that. Too many turnovers, too many dumb/cute passes. They played a simpler brand of hockey in the 2nd and 3rd, played much better.

Effort in the first period, plus the Power Play needs to be better. The 1st unit power play is good. Made great zone entries, won faceoffs, took the puck to the net. The 2nd unit power play was a disaster. Zone entries were awful.

Pirri is a boom/bust player from shift to shift. He is capable of competing on the boards, but he doesn't have the speed to retrieve pucks. I think Grimaldi should be on the 2nd line. He's the same defensively, but can add some explosiveness to the line. Grimaldi is good transitioning from defense to offense, good offensively, but he is bad defensively. He got lost a couple times in the neutral zone while Kings players got behind him. I don't think there is room on the team for having both of them unless Grimaldi can significantly improve his defensive play

Howden was good. Smith was good.

Ekblad and Gudbranson made some bad pinches, some good ones too. Probably the result of being down goals.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
There's a difference between their effort and record. Not gonna win many games with an incomplete effort like tonight and certainly not in the playoffs.
We had one bad period, which was to be expected against a team that's on a B2B. The game as a whole wasn't a bad effort at all.

Elite skating by Campbell on that last goal ;)
Again you're confusing skating as purely = acceleration & speed. The term you're looking for is a fast skater, which Campbell hasn't been for a few years now.

To be fair on Campbell's part, Gaborik even though he isn't his old self, is still one of the fastest guys around. We don't have anyone on the roster, defencemen nor forwards, that would catch him if Gaborik got a step ahead.

The Kings are an elite team just as the Rangers are. They have a solid foundation defensively and offensively and they don't need a lot of chances to score.

Both are clearly ahead of us. But when the Cats execute their game plan well and give it all, they can compete with anybody.

It is clear that we lack scoring star power. Nevertheless, we are difficult to play against.

As frustrating as it is (and please don't start with the history of the last 20 years again, I was there too), we are not that bad and we can be a wild card team with some luck.
Seriously, I don't understand what's with all this misery here. It's like we lost to last year's Sabres or pre-McJesus Oilers.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Seriously, I don't understand what's with all this misery here. It's like we lost to last year's Sabres or pre-McJesus Oilers.

It's just the feeling that the season is slipping away again... I do agree ( I don't see how anyone can't) that the last two games overall have been a lot better.

They do need to go on a winning streak at some point though and the pressure is on every game now.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
We had one bad period, which was to be expected against a team that's on a B2B. The game as a whole wasn't a bad effort at all.

Again you're confusing skating as purely = acceleration & speed. The term you're looking for is a fast skater, which Campbell hasn't been for a few years now.

To be fair on Campbell's part, Gaborik even though he isn't his old self, is still one of the fastest guys around. We don't have anyone on the roster, defencemen nor forwards, that would catch him if Gaborik got a step ahead.

They didn't show up. They played 2/3 of a game. That's inexcusable. The Canes just beat the Kings, the Kings aren't the Kings of the past.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
They didn't show up. They played 2/3 of a game. That's inexcusable. The Canes just beat the Kings, the Kings aren't the Kings of the past.

Agreed.

Just because you play 2 out of the 3 periods well doesn't mean the effort was complete. If we want to win, we need to play a full effort and come out hard every period. Can't keep relying on late comebacks.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
No panic here. I don't think firing Gallant is the right move, unless they were willing to pay Babcock. I'm not sure if there is any coach out there who would be significant upgrade over Gallant.

He's hamstrung with his players because his best offensive player (Barkov) is also his best defensive player (Barkov). All other lines have a defensive liability.

ebulldog

Mar 25, 2015
At some point the panic has to set in with upper management as the crowds start getting smaller each game that isn't a NY team or Canadian team.
The inconsistency from one game to the next is what is troubling and that always falls on the coach. It may not be all Gallants fault that he has guys that just don't show up most games, but something is just not clicking between the coaches and players.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
Here is what the problem is:

Players that assert themselves on a game all the time:
Ekblad
Barkov
Kulikov
Luongo (except lately)

Players that can you play in any situation and play well in almost every game.

Players that assert themselves on a game some of the time:
Campbell
Jagr
Huberdeau
Bjugstad
Trocheck
Gudbranson
Smith
Jokinen
Mackenzie
Montoya

These players do their job situationally, but not much else. Jagr gets swarmed when he has the puck, plays below average defensively. Huberdeau is doing his job: average defense, play maker. Bjugstad should be dominant (he has improved, but doesn't drive possession, probably should be in front of the net on power play unit 2 ?). Smith plays well, but can overpass at times. Gudbranson is playing well but has limitations offensively. Same with Mackenzie.

Players that assert themselves on a game little to none of the time:
Mitchell
Pirri
Howden
Bolland
Thorton
Petrovic
Kampfer
Grimaldi

Too many veteran players are passengers at times, too many young players are inconsistent. Currently not a playoff team. Pirri, Bolland, and Mitchell should be doing more but they aren't. I hate bashing them because they are good people.

I don't know **** about coaching, so I can't tell how much a player's under performance is due them being too old, too young, or a lack of coaching, or maybe the schedule has been brutal. Its not like losing to the Kings is bad, but losing to the Sabres is definitely bad. Losing to the Islanders on Friday would be highly sub-optimal (****ing terrible).

I will say one thing positive. I currently reside in DC but I'm down here visiting my family. I went to the TB game alone, took my dad to the Kings game, and am taking my fiance plus 7 others to the game on Friday. Its always fun even if it sucks when we lose. I love the Panthers more than any other sports team that I am fan off (Dolphins, Hokies, Heat). Somehow it has become part of my identity in a way that the other teams have not.

My biggest fear is that the Panthers move away. I would be season ticket holder if I lived down here, but that just isn't the case right now. I'm not sure how many more seasons like this the owners will absorb. I try to be loud at games but it feels weird being one of ten people chanting in a section. I don't want to be a burden to the people around me. I lost my voice last night. Maybe the players don't have any energy because there are no fans in the building and we have only ourselves to blame for that.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
l41lKse1Jpb03n88U.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad