Rumor: Kings looking for depth "#3-type" goalie

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
@Bern. There is not a goalie on the planet that I would move Byfield and Clarke for. We have our goalie for this year and will address that position in the offseason. I can assure you it won’t cost Byfield or Clarke.
If you want to think long term, then I agree with you, as I took pains to point out, that is the smart move long view.
Howev, overworking Talbot = recipe for disaster
I am waiting w/an open mind to see what scrubs turn up to give you a stopgap NOW which you arguably need NOW.
I am also interested to hear your plan past this year.
So far, I don't see anything coming to your rescue.
Tho again, I'm waiting.

Let's just be honest here.
For both teams there are pros and cons with a Shesty move.
just IMO you are buying likel solid SC finals appearance this yr and possibly next 2 as well.
but again, fair to argue in good faith if that is worth what Shesty would command

• Haha
Reactions: go4hockey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Seems to suggest they have little faith in Rittich.
I don't think that that's it. I think that they're more than happy with Talbot and Rittich, but are afraid of losing another. That would mean calling up Portillo, who isn't ready and would just sit on the bench for weeks while Talbot or Rittich is overworked and Ingham, an ECHL goalie, becomes the starter for Ontario. That wouldn't be good for either team or any of the goalies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I don't think that that's it. I think that they're more than happy with Talbot and Rittich, but are afraid of losing another. That would mean calling up Portillo, who isn't ready and would just sit on the bench for weeks while Talbot or Rittich is overworked and Ingham, an ECHL goalie, becomes the starter for Ontario. That wouldn't be good for either team or any of the goalies.
Talbot yes
Rit I don't see

Tiger Svoboda

Jul 28, 2004
What about Carter Hart? Kings can test him before giving him a new contract. Flyers may be ready to move him. It will cost though.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Vezina's don't get you cups.
good defense usually stops good offense
like a pitcher in baseball
a G is likely to be more crucial than any other single player, D or F to keeping opponent scoring down

Last time 1 guy was able to really do it all by himself was Bobby Orr, briefly, before his knees went.

Since then, any single player any position not enuf all by himself.
Proof: how many cups McDavid?
McD has Drai and they can't get it done

Depth is big, but G is huge also and any Vez level talent is a huge dif maker

so disagree

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
LA hangs up and has Portillo as long term solution without any trade
IF you are correct, then that would be the way to go, particularly as retaining By/Clarke retains youth, extends window.
That is a big IF.
We rely on Benny Allaire track record, so Garand for us is dif.
IMO others disagree but Garand could break in now if nec, he's proven in international competition.
How long before Portillo steps in, even as Talbot backup?

Other factor is I think Talbot is legit, but needs help NOW
Again, you can take chances with bargain basement retreads
but taking chances
yeah COULD work
but
COULD BE DISASTER

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
good defense usually stops good offense
like a pitcher in baseball
a G is likely to be more crucial than any other single player, D or F to keeping opponent scoring down

Last time 1 guy was able to really do it all by himself was Bobby Orr, briefly, before his knees went.

Since then, any single player any position not enuf all by himself.
Proof: how many cups McDavid?
McD has Drai and they can't get it done

Depth is big, but G is huge also and any Vez level talent is a huge dif maker

so disagree
I'll disagree. You don't need a great goalie to win the cup, look at the last 2 Stanley Cup Winners. Vegas pretty well could have won it with any semi-decent goalie last year, and the same exact thing for Colorado the year before.

Reactions: go4hockey

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
If Husso returns in a decent amount of time (Week to week) ya'll can have Hutchinson as soon as he's back lol.

Future considerations? 7th round pick?

OTC

Jul 11, 2018
Gavrikov hasn't managed to get deported, so that's a positive.

Fellow King's fans, hear me out. What if we put Byfield & Clarke on the table for a goalie?
:laugh:

I love this place.
How about Mrazek @ 50% for Turcotte?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Y'all want some of that Mrazek?
yes please

Kings are not trading clarke and Byfield for a goalie. The end.
I mean it would take a shit load, but if the wild put forward Wallstedt I would think hard on Clarke.

What about Carter Hart? Kings can test him before giving him a new contract. Flyers may be ready to move him. It will cost though.
Would want the team canada stuff sorted first, but if available could be top of the list for me. Need to know what sort of contract he is looking for.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
IF you are correct, then that would be the way to go, particularly as retaining By/Clarke retains youth, extends window.
That is a big IF.
We rely on Benny Allaire track record, so Garand for us is dif.
IMO others disagree but Garand could break in now if nec, he's proven in international competition.
How long before Portillo steps in, even as Talbot backup?

Other factor is I think Talbot is legit, but needs help NOW
Again, you can take chances with bargain basement retreads
but taking chances
yeah COULD work
but
COULD BE DISASTER
Portillo is absolutely lighting it up and played Rittich out of his starter job.
I have high confidence that Portillo will become at least an average starter goalie which is all we need.
As long as he saves the saveable shots the team is looking pretty.
His size alone will make him successful.
I think of Vasilevski, who does nothing else then going down to butterfly even before a shot is being fired and just sits there sliding a little to the right or left when needed.
This brought him the title as best goalie in the world, which is good enough for me.
I remember the crying Montreal players during their Cinderella run that Vasilevsky sits down and offers no gaps by his sheer size alone.

Beside all that, we don't need help right now since we are no contender.
Clarke will take over Doughty and Byfield is already catching up to Kopitar.
The next 2 years are gone already regarding the up so no rush

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'll disagree. You don't need a great goalie to win the cup, look at the last 2 Stanley Cup Winners. Vegas pretty well could have won it with any semi-decent goalie last year, and the same exact thing for Colorado the year before.
Agree to polite disagree.
Semi-decent won't cut it.
Agree that a hot guy could narrow the dif, but at least a very good G is nec.

Ask the Avs about Georgiev, and if he is enuf of a dif

I mean it would take a shit load, but if the wild put forward Wallstedt I would think hard on Clarke.
Interesting.
why Wallstedt who looks real deal but is unproven worth it vs a known commodity who is a Vez winner at half 2 yrs min not so much?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Portillo is absolutely lighting it up and played Rittich out of his starter job.
I have high confidence that Portillo will become at least an average starter goalie which is all we need.
As long as he saves the saveable shots the team is looking pretty.
His size alone will make him successful.
I think of Vasilevski, who does nothing else then going down to butterfly even before a shot is being fired and just sits there sliding a little to the right or left when needed.
This brought him the title as best goalie in the world, which is good enough for me.
I remember the crying Montreal players during their Cinderella run that Vasilevsky sits down and offers no gaps by his sheer size alone.

Beside all that, we don't need help right now since we are no contender.
Clarke will take over Doughty and Byfield is already catching up to Kopitar.
The next 2 years are gone already regarding the up so no rush
must get stuff done now so more schmoozing later
thanks for constructive post
need to hear more from others about Portillo, is your assessment accurate?
taking you at your word, but I have no idea

disagree as to bold
w/Shesty as a dif maker you are a good bet barring injury of course you could conquer WC and make SC finals
Now whether or not that is worth shortening your window, as I have said, is a separate fair ?.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad