Post-Game Talk: Kings crown the Jets 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Maybe, maybe not. He was not a pending UFA. He was a pending RFA with 2 more seasons before UFA eligibility.

If this idea that players will absolutely not play in Wpg was as big an impediment as some here make it out to be we would never have signed anyone who was actually capable of playing in the NHL. Even our draft picks would refuse to sign. They would go back through the draft.

If it is that bad then an NHL team in Wpg is hopeless. Move the team to Houston quick, before Edmonton and Calgary and Ottawa beat them to it.
first of all he had 1 year of control left... secondly we 1000% have a far lesser pool of players we can sign in winnipeg, don't see how that can be argued also don't see why you need to be extremely hyperbolic with what people are saying about the players we can and can't sign...

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
True, bottom 6 and PK have continued to at least work hard.

What's left is bottom 6, D corps (except JMo), goaltending. Helle didn't drop off nearly as soon, but he is not his usual reliable self recently. He has the same appearance as he did for a time last year of not being ready at puck drop. He gives up 1-2 early goals and then settles in the rest of the way.

How much is the top 6 trouble about lack of effort? We see signs of at least hard work from at least some of them. As you point out, Ehlers and PLD are looking better and were probably playing through a recovery from their injuries. We even had Ehlers fighting to get the team fired up. Didn't work and I hope he doesn't do that anymore - or at least picks a better matched opponent next time. :laugh:

So we can name 3 of the top 6 Nik, PLD and Nino who are putting out. Wheeler I think works, tries, he just doesn't have enough left in the tank. That just leaves Scheif and KC. They both seem to be avoiding contact more than usual. Could they be playing hurt and cautious?

I'm just thrashing around here trying to figure it out. Looking for answers. I wouldn't want to be on the coaching staff or management.

I wouldn't want to be on the coaching staff either -
They already found the formula for success - and it was on display in the first half.

Now they are being blamed for changing that system to one that is not successful -
You have to wonder why they would do that.

IMO, it's because parts of this team abandoned the successful approach (where hard work was involved) thinking they are skilled enough to get it done without the hard part.
So the coach has a couple of options - he can continue to hammer away at that successful game plan (and he did - over and over again) or, if that fails, you make it simpler for the guys that appear to be struggling with the message - get the puck on net and chase down the rebounds.

The problem for the coach, with the later approach, is that he now gets blamed for abandoning the successful approach because HE prefers the easy one.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
I wouldn't want to be on the coaching staff either -
They already found the formula for success - and it was on display in the first half.

Now they are being blamed for changing that system to one that is not successful -
You have to wonder why they would do that.

IMO, it's because parts of this team abandoned the successful approach (where hard work was involved) thinking they are skilled enough to get it down without the hard part.
So the coach has a couple of options - he can continue to hammer away at that successful game plan (and he did - over and over again) or, if that fails, you make it simpler for the guys that appear to be struggling with the message - get the puck on net and chase down the rebounds.

The problem for the coach, with the later approach, is that he now gets blamed for abandoning the successful approach because HE prefers the easy one.
Its three years now of Scheif clearly tuning out three different coaches... I mean you don't have to look farther than that. If Bowness can't or won't bench Scheif for at least half a game or press box him then nothing is going to change before the playoffs.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yes, that correlation exists. I also noticed a change when Perfetti got hurt. Which is funny because he was the last of that group to go. It was like that was the last straw or something. Could that have lead the coach to think that a style change was necessary because there was now just too little skill left in the lineup?

But Cole played 51 games. I'm pretty sure it had started going wrong before that . I just noticed that it suddenly got even worse.

I think a lot of what Cole does on the ice isn't fully appreciated by some. He's one of the best players with his positioning and timing off the puck which often forces the other team into bad decisions. He also manages the puck much better in his own zone and nz which facilities better transition.

But I do agree that it can't just be the loss of one player, especially as we got Ehelers back and added Nino at the deadline.

We need a Dallas fan to to chime in on if this was the game plan for them as well. But there is no denying that his Dallas teams couldn't score either. So I have to think there is something system wise that is contributing to it.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Its three years now of Scheif clearly tuning out three different coaches... I mean you don't have to look farther than that. If Bowness can't or won't bench Scheif for at least half a game or press box him then nothing is going to change before the playoffs.

Is that really a bowness decision Tho. I mean if so he should but... it's not and sitting mark for a lesser player is silly. Play him less? And play who more? I mean easy in theory but when losing I'll take mark over any bottom 6 guy to score cuz eventually he will.

You can play him 4th line minutes and have him sulk and that won't help. Since apparently benching him for 10 minutes leads to this.

Chevy needs to move him to a non play off team. Lol like now

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Is that really a bowness decision Tho. I mean if so he should but... it's not and sitting mark for a lesser player is silly. Play him less? And play who more? I mean easy in theory but when losing I'll take mark over any bottom 6 guy to score cuz eventually he will.

You can play him 4th line minutes and have him sulk and that won't help. Since apparently benching him for 10 minutes leads to this.

Chevy needs to move him to a non play off team. Lol like now
Yeah because that is how it works. Non playoff teams love those pending UFAs. They even give up their 1st round picks and best prospects for them :sarcasm:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Maybe, maybe not. He was not a pending UFA. He was a pending RFA with 2 more seasons before UFA eligibility.

If this idea that players will absolutely not play in Wpg was as big an impediment as some here make it out to be we would never have signed anyone who was actually capable of playing in the NHL. Even our draft picks would refuse to sign. They would go back through the draft.

If it is that bad then an NHL team in Wpg is hopeless. Move the team to Houston quick, before Edmonton and Calgary and Ottawa beat them to it.
I tend to agree. We absolutely don’t have as many options as other teams, and we can’t compete in free agency, but we’ve signed our own players long-term and have traded for guys with limited term who ended up extending (DeMelo, Stafford, and Pionk come to mind). We don’t know whether or not Fiala would’ve signed an extension here or not.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
this team has been an enigma for how many seasons now.....the players keep saying they have the talent, blah blah blah....so then wtf is the problem!!???
There has to be a change somewhere(and I dont think its coaching) or it seems like its gonna be groundhog day again, for what, the third or fourth season......

Reactions: Eyeseeing

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
So once again Ehlers is moved down and Wheeler stays up , i just don't get it, not one bit . Move Wheeler down already, give him less minutes and he might actually have some legs during a game.

3 coaches now keep putting Scheifele and Wheeler together. So either the coaches can't see the obvious, or Scheifele and Wherever are only able to play together (i.e. no one else wants to play with one or both of them)

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
3 coaches now keep putting Scheifele and Wheeler together. So either the coaches can't see the obvious, or Scheifele and Wherever are only able to play together (i.e. no one else wants to play with one or both of them)
It's baffling, like the coaches are being told they have to play together by Chipman or something. All i can say is if you are Ehlers are you resigning with the Jets when most of your time here you are moved down the lineup and now moved down before a fading Wheeler is moved down? I know i wouldn't be a happy camper if i was Ehlers.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
So once again Ehlers is moved down and Wheeler stays up , i just don't get it, not one bit . Move Wheeler down already, give him less minutes and he might actually have some legs during a game.
I can understand swapping out Capo for Samberg as I thought Capo had a rough one but like you, I just don't understand the deployment of the available talent on the forward lines. Are the coaches expecting the new Lowry line to be a scoring line now? Barron, IMO, has been playing much better than to on the 4th line. As for Wheeler..... well, What About Bob, oops, Blake?

Reactions: Jets 31

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
You’ve just implied Bones doesn’t make any team decisions.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Truly baffling.

Hopefully the Ehlers-Lowry-Apples line gets second line minutes...

Reactions: Inanna

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Is it really a downgrade going from 55 to 17 at this point? I'm not sure it is. Maybe hear me out but maybe 55 wants to play with 26 and vice versa and at this point, maybe 26 motivates 55 to work harder. Who knows.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Is it really a downgrade going from 55 to 17 at this point? I'm not sure it is. Maybe hear me out but maybe 55 wants to play with 26 and vice versa and at this point, maybe 26 motivates 55 to work harder. Who knows.
Watching the last few games with Scheifele and Wheeler that doesn't look to be the case. Scheifele wasn't playing with Wheeler when he was playing very good at the beginning of the season.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Just to be fair i'm just as frustrated watching Connor as i am with Scheifele and Wheeler. All 3 need to be better especially Connor and Scheifele because they are 2 of our best players .

None

Feb 22, 2012
All i can say is if you are Ehlers are you resigning with the Jets when most of your time here you are moved down the lineup and now moved down before a fading Wheeler is moved down? I know i wouldn't be a happy camper if i was Ehlers.

I'd be surprised if Ehlers hasn't asked for a trade at some point in the past.

Edit: I think I've said this before :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad