KHL on TV - TV Coverage in Europe (incl. Web-TV)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Wonderful news :handclap:
will they broadcast only online or also via sat?

Only via YLE's website and there's no commentary what so ever (though YLE doesn't really have a hockey pbp guy these days anymore, all possible candidates are doing SM-Liiga playoffs today for radio anyway). Checked it out and the quality of the stream is also really bad. I guess they got these rights really cheap.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Good move from KHL to broadcast in finnish public tv as I see it. No problem that now it is only on internet without announcers. KHL needs to get into finnish tv market, like NBA did in China. ;)

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Good move from KHL to broadcast in finnish public tv as I see it. No problem that now it is only on internet without announcers. KHL needs to get into finnish tv market, like NBA did in China. ;)

I have a dream. That maybe one day you can watch any KHL game you want live and in HD via internet on your TV as it is the case with NHL, MLB, NBA etc already. ;) KHL can learn a lot from US sports industry in this field.

I watch NHL and MLB with my Xbox 360 and have a huge flat screen where I love to see these games in HD. It's also not that much money. Just 15 euro a month.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
I have a dream. That maybe one day you can watch any KHL game you want live and in HD via internet on your TV as it is the case with NHL, MLB, NBA etc already. ;) KHL can learn a lot from US sports industry in this field.

I watch NHL and MLB with my Xbox 360 and have a huge flat screen where I love to see these games in HD. It's also not that much money. Just 15 euro a month.

I think its only matter of time Vicente.

swosh

Im pink hair niггa
Jul 3, 2013
Prague
Sport 2 HU & Nova Sport CZ stopped their broadcastings?

Sport 1 and Sport 2 HD (Chello HU) broadcast KHL. They bought exlusive rights. Shame they have no webcast, but maybe just strategy. There is no pirate streaming in czech or slovak u have to purchase sport cabel tv bundle. In comparsion with NHL or even ELH, their annoucing is much worse. This year they cover nearly all games of Slovan and Lev and various other matches. source

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
There is no pirate streaming in czech or slovak
Who needs Czech/Slovak pirates when there are enough Russian pirates. :sarcasm:

And when there is the official KHL.ru webcast option! :nod: For two recent Slovan away games, KHL.ru was offering the official webcast, but Sport 2 was not showing the game. So, buying a KHL.ru subscription is a better option than buying the Sport 2 subscription. I'll be cancelling my Sport 1, Sport 2 subscription later this month.

PS: They only show all of Slovan's and Lev's home games (at least that improvement compared to last season!), but they still skip many (roughly 50%, it seems!) of Slovan's and Lev's away games. That's not good enough to me to be interested in their subscription. :thumbd:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Mostly horrible. ;)

Although I actually like the current Slovan announcers on Sport 2: Pavol Gašpar, Matej Hajko and their "colour guys", various Slovak ex-hockey players.

I'll be missing them, but not enough to keep my Sport 1, Sport 2 subscription. :p: First bring all Slovan games, then I can renew my subscription.

Gašpar has also announced the World Championships in recent years, so I wonder if he has now given up that job, for the sake of KHL coverage on Sport 2.

The best Slovak "colour announcer", by far (very smart and funny), is the still active defenceman Richard Lintner. :laugh: I also loved the legend Peter Šťastný as colour announcer at the turn of the centuries.

If you want to get a taste of Gašpar, check out the clip below... You can scroll to the 9:10 minute mark for a recent unforgettable moment of Slovak hockey history. :)

Last edited:

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Cool, thanks for the link. So how many Sport1&2 channels there are? Or do they just have the multiple audio tracks (Hungarian, Slovak and Czech)? Guess that's the case because they're having trouble choosing between Slovan and Lev in their programming.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Nope, Sport 1 and Sport 2 are only Czech channels, not Hungarian. The Hungarian channels are completely separate, and we can't watch them here in Slovakia/Czech Rep.

The Czech channels Sport 1 and Sport 2 hire Slovak announcers for events involving Slovak teams/athletes.

Sport 1 covers Lev's live games. Sport 2 covers Slovan's live games. Re-runs can be on either channel. Sport 1 is SD. Sport 2 is HD (but not for all away games).

Like I say, the only trouble I have with them is that they skip around 50% of Slovan's/Lev's away games. :thumbd: Skipping so many games is just not worth the subscription for me.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
PS: No multiple audio tracks are offered by Sport 1, Sport 2 (that's another big flaw, actually), and some of Slovan's away games in the KHL have been announced by a combo of Slovak & Czech announcer taking turns. (A "tradition" from decades of Czechoslovakia.)

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Nope, Sport 1 and Sport 2 are only Czech channels, not Hungarian. The Hungarian channels are completely separate, and we can't watch them here in Slovakia/Czech Rep.

The Czech channels Sport 1 and Sport 2 hire Slovak announcers for events involving Slovak teams/athletes.

Sport 1 covers Lev's live games. Sport 2 covers Slovan's live games. Re-runs can be on either channel. Sport 1 is SD. Sport 2 is HD (but not for all away games).

Like I say, the only trouble I have with them is that they skip around 50% of Slovan's/Lev's away games. :thumbd: Skipping so many games is just not worth the subscription for me.

So it's a bilingual channel and they just switch languages like it's no big deal? I guess it is a not big deal for the viewers, still, it sounds to me like a not very professional thing to do.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
So it's a bilingual channel and they just switch languages like it's no big deal?

Yes, and that's normal. I hear that young Czech kids are experiencing some issues understanding Slovak, but not adult Czechs. Been done that way for decades, both during the times of Czechoslovakia, and after the break-up. For example, English Premiership footbal games also used to have a combo of Czech & Slovak announcers (on the Czech Nova Sport TV channel) in recent years.

it sounds to me like a not a not very professional thing to do.

It's perfectly normal, I assure you. However, I would prefer only Slovak announcers for Slovan's games. Only Czech announcers for Lev's games also make sense. But if it's a "neutral" game for us, say SKA vs. Dynamo Moscow, a combo of Czech & Slovak announcer seems perfectly fine and reasonable, considering the channel has subscribers in both countries.

A funny experiment (that went wrong!) was made by Nova TV in the Czech Rep a few years ago, for a football 2010 South Africa World Cup qualifier. There was this crucial game between Czech Rep and Slovakia in Prague, and Nova TV was so foolish as to call a Slovak announcer to announce the game along with a Czech announcer on the exclusively Czech channel. So, whenever Slovaks scored, the Slovak announcer was loudly celebrating on Czech TV. :laugh: Many Czech football fans were furious. Slovaks won that game in Prague 2-1, they eventually advanced to South Africa (and among the top 16 there), while Czechs did not.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
So, when they have a bilingual duo, do they speak their respective language or they speak the same?

This is kinda weird, but I see this all the time watching Ukrainian highlights from the games

swosh

Im pink hair niггa
Jul 3, 2013
Prague
Czech and Slovak is mutally understanable. Everybody speak how mother learn them. Big deal it is only on internet discussion and pub. For me, it makes game more "living"

Last edited:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
So, when they have a bilingual duo, do they speak their respective language or they speak the same?

Everyone speaks his or her own language. Regular Slovaks can't speak proper Czech, and especially regular Czechs can't speak proper Slovak (also due to a heavy Czech accent). :laugh:

It's no big deal, really. Like we discussed about Kazakh TV in the past, it's a lot "wilder" there. Announcer A asks something in Russian, and announcer B answers in Kazakh. Slovak and Czech are at least both Slavic languages, pretty similar, so listening to them simultaneously doesn't sound odd.

Russian, though, is a Slavic language, while Kazakh is a Turkic language, so there's like 0% overlap, so watching that Astana TV broadcast of a KHL game with bilingual announcers was a weird experience. Whenever the Russian announcer spoke, I understood almost everything, but whenever the Kazakh announcer took over, I understood absolutely nothing. :amazed:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
don't know if already mentioned in the thread, but laola1.tv seems to streams some games. Only a few, but still.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad