KHL Expansion Part IX

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Surprisingly there's a reason to start a new part of the expansion thread series, as there are a lot of reports that Avtovaz is somehow willing to invest in sports notably more than previously, which likely means they will want to get Lada back to the KHL.

• Wow
Reactions: Rigafan

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Surprisingly there's a reason to start a new part of the expansion thread series, as there are a lot of reports that Avtovaz is somehow willing to invest in sports notably more than previously, which likely means they will want to get Lada back to the KHL.
Finally! All that about their arena wasn't fair when Vityaz were playing in their tiny one, plus the whole situation with Kunlun not ever actually being in China!

Plus, there were rumours at the beginning that Lada would be a team to replace Riga/Jokerit etc but their GM stated the funding for the VHL had already been confirmed, so it seemed unlikely to be this time around.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe

""Earlier, Russian President Vladimir Putin at a meeting with the Governor of the Samara Region Dmitry Azarov instructed the Ministry of Sports to work out the issue of returning Lada to the KHL.""

Sounds promising

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

""Earlier, Russian President Vladimir Putin at a meeting with the Governor of the Samara Region Dmitry Azarov instructed the Ministry of Sports to work out the issue of returning Lada to the KHL.""

Sounds promising

That means, they have no choice. They must step into KHL again.

But it is sure, Lada will be now a bestseller in Russia.

• Haha

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Lada has officially applied to get back to the KHL, but the league wants to receive financial guarantees for at least three seasons first, also a roadmap on potential changes that need to be implemented for the return to be possible (I guess they mean the improvements of their arena).

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Lada has officially applied to get back to the KHL, but the league wants to receive financial guarantees for at least three seasons first, also a roadmap on potential changes that need to be implemented for the return to be possible (I guess they mean the improvements of their arena).

I can't see KHL letting them back in if they are serious about improving the league. The league's teams are finally starting to get arenas big enough to be make the teams financially sustainable, and letting Lada back in with that arena would be going in reverse

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
I can't see KHL letting them back in if they are serious about improving the league. The league's teams are finally starting to get arenas big enough to be make the teams financially sustainable, and letting Lada back in with that arena would be going in reverse

Well they need to replace the teams they lost I suppose and Lada being an historic team makes sense to want them back in the league.

I don't understand about their arena though. 6000 capacity opened in 2013? Its nice enough and big enough for a top level team/league. Especially with good support which they tend to have.

Kunlun - don't have an arena
Severstal - Smaller
Avto - Smaller
Neftekhimik - Smaller
Admiral - Smaller
Vityaz - Change every week and their original home one is tiny

I'd rather have teams like Lada back in the league then 'new' teams setup in Dubai or whatever just to fill the gaps

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Interesting note from Lada's GM interview that it might be that the next in line to join the KHL aren't the rumored Yugra or Novokuznetsk, but Krasnoyarsk.

Krasnoyarsk could be very good. Large city, I believe more than 1 million people and is a city of universities and science. But do they have a KHL level arena and I thought it was a bandy city?

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Krasnoyarsk could be very good. Large city, I believe more than 1 million people and is a city of universities and science. But do they have a KHL level arena and I thought it was a bandy city?
There is a 7000 seat Platinum Arena, but they might have to do some changes for the KHL.

ae7dYFH.jpg

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Any words/updates about potential candidates for the future? There will be no team added for 2023/24 obviously but what about next years? With the political situation the way it is, we can forget about Europe. I believe Lada, Novokuznetsk, Krasnoyarsk and Tyumen could make good candidates if they progress well in the coming years.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Any words/updates about potential candidates for the future? There will be no team added for 2023/24 obviously but what about next years? With the political situation the way it is, we can forget about Europe. I believe Lada, Novokuznetsk, Krasnoyarsk and Tyumen could make good candidates if they progress well in the coming years.

I'd say Lada are in next season, it's no surprise we see LADA adverts all over the KHL this past season.

Putin himself had a meeting to ensure that the finances for Lada will be in place to come back.

Reactions: hansomreiste

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Molot-Prikamye Perm would get a KHL level arena in the future, but they would need a lot more money for the team. It is a big city though, and they could be a good addition to the Kharlamov division.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Lada was originally kicked out of the league for arena-related issues. Did they renovate their arena at all?
Originally it was in 2010, since then their current arena was built in 2013 and so Lada was back in 2014. In 2018 the main reasons was that they just sucked and were having frequent financial issues. However they still should make some arena improvements during the summer, iirc their current boards don't meet the KHL standards, maybe something else too.

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I don't get why not just promote the best teams of the VHL. Arena requirements and whatnot are bogus at this point anyway.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I don't get why not just promote the best teams of the VHL. Arena requirements and whatnot are bogus at this point anyway.
The main reason is that playing in the KHL is more expensive, so the teams just don't want that too much (at least not much enough to find that extra amount of money) otherwise I'm sure that teams like Kuznya and Sokol Krasnoyarsk would be welcome. Also there is Yugra, who kind of have the money, but prefer to be a top team in the VHL rather than being a bad one in the KHL.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
There is one I thing I have been repeating here for years: I hope Sokol makes it one day. On paper they would have nothing less than Novisibirsk or Omsk honestly... Major Siberian city with 1M population, more than enough arena for the KHL, no other sport takes precedence over hockey (maybe with the exception of bandy and basketball a little bit but I reckon it is not a strong following enough to dwarf a good hockey team)... Hope there are some works underway for them. With some money and acceptable level of management they could at least be a mediocre eastern team if not one of the best.

Expansion into Europe is a ship that sailed at least for 10 years if not more. Just bring in a few good Russian, Belarussian or Kazakh clubs.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
What makes you think their requirements are bogus?
It is important to understand what the KHL has been doing with arena requirements. The league´ standards for arena are raising every year, it is done due to TV coverage & fans comfort. What was enough for lets say Slovan back in 2012 or even Lada a few years ago is NOT enough now.

The KHL inspects arenas every year. Does any other European hockey league do such a detailed and frequent inspection? While improving arena requirements year to year?

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
It is important to understand what the KHL has been doing with arena requirements. The league´ standards for arena are raising every year, it is done due to TV coverage & fans comfort. What was enough for lets say Slovan back in 2012 or even Lada a few years ago is NOT enough now.

The KHL inspects arenas every year. Does any other European hockey league do such a detailed and frequent inspection? While improving arena requirements year to year?
I fully understand what the KHL is doing/trying to do, and Lada GM has stated the arena improvements will be ready by Aug 1st this year to meet KHL standards.

Also, they have increased the salary floor and removed the player bonuses because people were cheating the salary cap system with it.

My question is, why would somebody assume that the arena standard requirements in the KHL are bogus now?

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
According to Championat article, Lada's salary budget for the coming season is 520m rub or $6.3m.

Which is on par with Dynamo Moscow this current season who spent 550m rub

Last edited:
Reactions: hansomreiste

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
According to Championat article, Lada's salary budget for the coming season is 520m rub or $6.3m.

Which is on par with Ak Bars this current season who spent 550m rub
Can you give me a link to championat article?

I am not sure what is your source for Ak Bars numbers. According to Sport-Express, see, they spent 840 million rubles without bonuses.

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
Can you give me a link to championat article?

I am not sure what is your source for Ak Bars numbers. According to Sport-Express, see, they spent 840 million rubles without bonuses.

I've updated my post it was Dynamo Mosocow, my mistake. Well the article claims they spent 550m

Reactions: vorky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad