KHL 2013-2014 General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Half of which came before WW2... Italy are just as likely to mail it in in World Cups/Euro tournaments.

1982 and 2006 is recent enough for me ina once in 4 years tournament. Heck, the list of countries with 4 World Cups is damn short...

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Which goaltending? I'd go with the guy from Novokuznetsk, coming from the franchise you all Russia haters want to see scrapped.

I am quoting you because you mentioned Novokuznetsk. I asked it earlier and will ask it again. What has happened to Keremerovo region? Lets have a look at population of city of Novokuznetsk

1990 - 615 400
2000 - 561 600
2010 - 547 900
2011 - 563 860
2012 - 549 589
2013 - 549 182

wiki source

:shakehead:amazed:

FreshFruit

Sep 30, 2013
Europe
Atas why are you so ignorant?
You didn't answer any of my questions.

Desribe my your opinion of Russian aka. Russian Federation hockey in the last 20 years.

Why did you replied on my post when you didn't intend to answer to my questions?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
1982 and 2006 is recent enough for me ina once in 4 years tournament. Heck, the list of countries with 4 World Cups is damn short...

Italy are anything but a powerhouse in today's football world. They're on a decline, with key players getting old and no new stars of similar caliber on the horizon. But that is a discussion to continue over here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=166

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Italy are anything but a powerhouse in today's football world. They're on a decline, with key players getting old and no new stars of similar caliber on the horizon. But that is a discussion to continue over here: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/forumdisplay.php?f=166

Unlike in hockey there is absolute NO powerhouse in football these days. Not France, not Germany (many call them favourites for the WC title but look at the shaky defense), not Italy, not Brazil, not Argentina, Netherlands or even Spain after 2012...

But regarding hockey:

to me it always seems like Canada and USA see the Olympics as some sort of national mission while in the case of Russia it's a group of individuals who don't work hard for each other. Maybe it's the wrong impression but that's what it looks like to me.

alce*

But regarding hockey:

to me it always seems like Canada and USA see the Olympics as some sort of national mission while in the case of Russia it's a group of individuals who don't work hard for each other. Maybe it's the wrong impression but that's what it looks like to me.

Always? Sorry, but why "always"? They couldn't win anything anywhere except NA. In Turin and Nagano Canada and USA weren't even in medals.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Unlike in hockey there is absolute NO powerhouse in football these days. Not France, not Germany (many call them favourites for the WC title but look at the shaky defense), not Italy, not Brazil, not Argentina, Netherlands or even Spain after 2012...

But regarding hockey:

Spain says hi. Or rather hola.

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
I am quoting you because you mentioned Novokuznetsk. I asked it earlier and will ask it again. What has happened to Keremerovo region? Lets have a look at population of city of Novokuznetsk

1990 - 615 400
2000 - 561 600
2010 - 547 900
2011 - 563 860
2012 - 549 589
2013 - 549 182

wiki source

:shakehead:amazed:
It's a typical situation for a non-capital city in Russia. During the Soviet times Novokuznetsk was always bigger than Kemerovo due to its industrial importance, but the emergence of the tertiary sector and business activity pushed the trend in the opposite direction, and nowdays Kemerovo, having beneifts of an administrative center, began to outdraw immigrants. Some industrial cities, like Magnitka, are able to sustain their stable growth, but most of them aren't. Kuzbass in general isn't in a good shape either, I don't think many coal producing regions of the world are.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
It's a typical situation for a non-capital city in Russia. During the Soviet times Novokuznetsk was always bigger than Kemerovo due to its industrial importance, but the emergence of the tertiary sector and business activity pushed the trend in the opposite direction, and nowdays Kemerovo, having beneifts of an administrative center, began to outdraw immigrants. Some industrial cities, like Magnitka, are able to sustain their stable growth, but most of them aren't. Kuzbass in general isn't in a good shape either, I don't think many coal producing regions of the world are.

Thank you. The bold part is very important. It seems that Novokuznetsk belongs to cities which are NOT able to sustain their stable growth. We can love Novokuznetsk and wanting them to stay in KHL, but I dont see club´s future in the league. KHL is business project and business can not work in "dying" regions. Sad but reality.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Spain says hi. Or rather hola.

As someone who is half Spanish I would like to say you are right BUT:

EC 2008: Quarters won in SO against Italy, final 1-0 against Germany despite being the worse team
WC 2010: lucky win in last group stage match against Chile, all four playoff games ended 1-0 with the final against Netherlands decided in the 117th
EC 2012: almost thrown out by Croatia in group stage, beat France in close game and won against Portugal in SO

Both Confed Cups 2009 and 2013 were a disaster.

It's not like Spain destroyed all their opponents. They had a great portion of luck in every of these tournaments and it could have gone either way.

We don't even have real strikers that's why they think about letting Brazilian Diego Costa play for the Spanish NT.

Guys like Xavi, Villa, Puyol, Casillas, Torres etc are not what they used to be.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Thank you. The bold part is very important. It seems that Novokuznetsk belongs to cities which are NOT able to sustain their stable growth. We can love Novokuznetsk and wanting them to stay in KHL, but I dont see club´s future in the league. KHL is business project and business can not work in "dying" regions. Sad but reality.

Especially when you have other (better) options in such a big country as Russia. It's not like they couldn't find a substitute for the weak KHL sides.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Lev fires Christensen and Danielsson. Wow. :amazed: It's as if a loss to Slovan was perceived as especially humiliating by various teams... seems to happen rather often to see opposing coach/player firings after a team loses to Slovan.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
As someone who is half Spanish I would like to say you are right BUT:

EC 2008: Quarters won in SO against Italy, final 1-0 against Germany despite being the worse team
WC 2010: lucky win in last group stage match against Chile, all four playoff games ended 1-0 with the final against Netherlands decided in the 117th
EC 2012: almost thrown out by Croatia in group stage, beat France in close game and won against Portugal in SO

Both Confed Cups 2009 and 2013 were a disaster.

It's not like Spain destroyed all their opponents. They had a great portion of luck in every of these tournaments and it could have gone either way.

We don't even have real strikers that's why they think about letting Brazilian Diego Costa play for the Spanish NT.

Guys like Xavi, Villa, Puyol, Casillas, Torres etc are not what they used to be.

It doesn't matter how they won, only that they won.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Dynamo were presented their mini gagarins today

1383563_657624244262853_1606272625_n.jpg

so cute

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
It doesn't matter how they won, only that they won.

Off course the titles can't be taken back. :)

But what I love so much about hockey - and also about KHL - is that you don't know who will win a championship. It's always open till the very last game of the season.

In football you know the winner (at club level) before the start of the season. But with Spain it was different. They were the best and the luckiest side of all teams. But it wasn't like the other were chanceless.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Ivannikov with another major performance, leads his team to a win. Should be the first goalie to ever receive Cherepanov trophy at year end.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Ivannikov with another major performance, leads his team to a win. Should be the first goalie to ever receive Cherepanov trophy at year end.

.. then SKA will pick him up once again and use him as a third goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad