Injury Report: Kevin Shattenkirk Meniscus Tear. Out indefinitely.

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
Shit ~ would explain a lot, however, re his play of late.

Right, Tony! Let's see what you got!

Would also be amazed if Mac isn't immediately inserted on PP1. Can hardly wait.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Sucks for Shattenkirk. No wonder he's been such a lackluster producer lately. I'm glad ADA is getting a callup.

If this isn't a sign to sell, then I don't know what is. Staal with a hip issue, Hayes with the bruised leg (remember when Nash had a "bruised leg" and he ended up having a bone bruise for like 8 weeks?), Kreider out for at least 6 more weeks, Now Shattenkirk out for probably 8-12 weeks.

Sell, Please Gorton, Sell.

Reactions: Riche16

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Sucks for Shattenkirk. No wonder he's been such a lackluster producer lately. I'm glad ADA is getting a callup.

If this isn't a sign to sell, then I don't know what is. Staal with a hip issue, Hayes with the bruised leg (remember when Nash had a "bruised leg" and he ended up having a bone bruise for like 8 weeks?), Kreider out for at least 6 more weeks, Now Shattenkirk out for probably 8-12 weeks.

Sell, Please Gorton, Sell.

You don't sell until you're actively on the outside looking in. Don't kid yourself, Kreider and Shattenkirk are aiming to be back by the start of the playoffs.

They aren't going to sell if they are in good playoff position by the deadline.

This is a business, and playoffs = good business.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It's not an excuse, it's just the reality. He wanted to play and could play through it until now. What is so hard to understand about that?

Why is it so hard to understand that it's kind of totally irresponsible of the Rangers to allow an employee play through an injury that had the potential to hit this point way earlier?

Yeah, he might have made it through the whole season just fine, but it was a ticking time bomb. Instead of being reactive, KS22 and the Rangers could have been proactive here.

Making medical decisions based on a player "wanting to play" is the dumbest thing ever. Should never enter the conversation.

Reactions: BobSantos

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Why is it so hard to understand that it's kind of totally irresponsible of the Rangers to allow an employee play through an injury that had the potential to hit this point way earlier?

Yeah, he might have made it through the whole season just fine, but it was a ticking time bomb. Instead of being reactive, KS22 and the Rangers could have been a bit proactive here.

The Rangers doctors know a lot more than you do regarding his injury. He thought it might be able to heal itself through treatment.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I've had a torn meniscus before. It was the result of dislocating my knee, so my knee was messed up for a bit, but the surgery didn't happen until a couple months afterward. I was running up the stairs the day I went to the hospital. It could be that it wasn't really a problem before, but now it has torn more and is causing issues with the joint.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Should have never been playing.
Why wouldn't he get surgery in September instead? Get if fixed before it gets worse. He would've missed like 10 games at most.

I really hope AV gives Tony D legit minutes. Give him PP1 slot and good 5v5 zone starts.

Unfortunately I know he's going to sit TDA in the 3rd periods and double shift Kampfer because he loves him.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It`s sad news for Shattenkirk though. But I hope Julien is soon available - he has a won cup with Boston already and he knows how to play defense @Irishguy42 concerning that tweet.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
You don't sell until you're actively on the outside looking in. Don't kid yourself, Kreider and Shattenkirk are aiming to be back by the start of the playoffs.

They aren't going to sell if they are in good playoff position by the deadline.

This is a business, and playoffs = good business.

The reality is that this is most likely going to be the approach, whether people agree with it or not.

The Rangers are going to review the returns of Kreider, Shattenkirk and others as boosts if they continue to stay in the mix.

The only way the team sells is if the injuries force them into a spiral. It really depends on which way they trend, more than it does adding one more player to the IR.

I'm not saying anyone has to like it, but we have to be realistic.

Reactions: nevesis

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
No they shouldn't.

He's an idiot for playing thru an injury that doesn't heal on its own and only gets worse.

He made himself look terrible with this decision

Oh please, there are too many times that this comes up. It's all narrative. Girardi was a warrior for playing through everything, but Shattenkirk is dumb. He's not. He showed he's able to gut things out. He gets called soft quite a bit. Playing through a torn meniscus isn't soft.

He had also just signed for big money and wanted to prove something.

Reactions: NYRangers3061

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad