Speculation: Kevin Shattenkirk for Rick Nash

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
obviously people have discussed this on here but weirdly enough ive come across 2 articles today suggesting it again. .....

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/r...ok-at-a-potential-nash-for-shattenkirk-trade/

During a July 29th live chat with his readers, Jeremy Rutherford of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch acknowledged the speculation of the Blues shipping Shattenkirk to the Rangers for left winger Rick Nash. He didn’t dismiss the possibility of this deal taking place.

Rutherford notes the Rangers need to replace departed D-man Keith Yandle. He also cites Nash’s ties with Blues coach Ken Hitchcock, and the winger’s skills and veteran experience could help the Blues.

Given Nash’s $7.8-million annual salary-cap hit over the next two seasons, Rutherford believes the Rangers would have to retain some salary. He also suggests other players would have to be involved to make the deal work....

Last edited:

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Getting Nash's contract off the books would be great for the Rangers but I can't help but laugh at them if they get stuck in the same loop for another year:

1. Spend assets and trade for defenseman who'll be a UFA soon
2. UFA hits and realize you can't afford to resign defenseman because there's too much money tied up in Girardi & Staal
3. Defenseman leaves in UFA
4. Go back to step 1

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
I think I'd rather keep Nash. Trade him after a healthy season with only 1 year left to someone making a push and wait for Shatty to hit the open market.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Getting Nash's contract off the books would be great for the Rangers but I can't help but laugh at them if they get stuck in the same loop for another year:

1. Spend assets and trade for defenseman who'll be a UFA soon
2. UFA hits and realize you can't afford to resign defenseman because there's too much money tied up in Girardi & Staal
3. Defenseman leaves in UFA
4. Go back to step 1

Thankfully Sather is no longer GM and Gorton's first big move indicates he's a bit wiser.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It'd be about the only way I'd be interested in acquiring Shattenkirk as a Rangers fan. Not really a fan of giving him a Yandle type extension though.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
See Shattenkirk, Kevin.

Really though, I dont see Nash being worth a lot next offseason.

13-14 Nash had injuries, scored 39 pts in 65 games. After the season everyone said he was done and no one would want him again.
14-15 Nash had a healthy season and scored 42 goals.
15-16 Nash had injuries, scored 36 pts in 60 games. After the season everyone said he was done and no one would want him again.

Even with as bad of a 15-16 season that he had, due to injuries, not many players have scored more goals over the same 2 year period.

Oh, this again?

It wouldn't be August if the horse was alive. <goes to get a stick> :deadhorse

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Oh, this again?

haha its funny cause I assumed many threads were made of this but I searched and found none(I know its been brought up in other threads tho)... so I figured since I saw no threads have been made and 2 articles came out today, id start the thread!!

I know people on here talk about it, but I figured since Rutherford said it, id post it

KreiderHouseRules*

I think I'd rather keep Nash. Trade him after a healthy season with only 1 year left to someone making a push and wait for Shatty to hit the open market.

This.

People forget Nash scored 42 goals a season ago.

A bounce-back season re-ups his value and likely nets NYR a younger, potentially better package than pending-UFA Shattenkirk. And by all accounts, it's likely Shattenkirk signs in NYR after this season anyway.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
This.

A bounce-back season re-ups his value and likely nets NYR a younger, potentially better package than pending-UFA Shattenkirk. And by all accounts, it's likely Shattenkirk signs in NYR after this season anyway.

People didn't forget. It doesn't fit their narrative.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
this isn't a rumor.. it's speculation.

it even says its speculation in the quote you posted.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
this isn't a rumor.. it's speculation.

it even says its speculation in the quote you posted.

I just posted it as a rumor cause on the link when you click it, its titled Rumor Roundup... either or I really don't care if its a rumor or speculation... just figured I would post it and see what people think about the actual idea of the trade

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
They'd need to add Staal (with retention) to balance it out.

Yes, Staal isn't worth his current contract and isn't a top pairing d-man anymore but he is still a top-4 and if NYR takes a haircut him and Nash are an OK return, assuming he can't be dealt for someone like Krejci

Nash is certainly closer to a 30 goal scorer than the 15 goal scorer he was last year.

Looking at the cap hits ($13.5M combined) NYR probably would need to retain some on Nash's deal too, as it will expire quicker they could retain more for the time being

Retain 1.8M on Nash and 1.2 on Staal. Effectively paying $7.25M for Shattenkirk in year 1, then let's say he signs $6.75M for 7-8 years, bear the extra cap burden for 1 year (on still retaining Nash's contract for an additional season) then you have an elite defenseman and PP QB locked up long term and are only dealing with a manageable 1.2M retention for another three years.

Of course, the question then becomes why does St.Louis trade Shattenkirk for that return.... if Nash returns to 30-30 form, it's a good deal. If Fabbri steps into a top-6 role sooner than later then the need for a center to replace Backes is moot. Stastny/Fabbri/Berglund/Lehtera/Sobotka (I suppose one would play wing, Berglund?) is a pretty good crop of centres.

Maybe some prospects or picks added to balance the deal? Or is Staal too much of a boat anchor even at $4.5M? Or is the return simply not good enough regardless of retention for either and/or both players?

EDIT: Was just thinking STL probably can't afford to add the extra $6M in cap this trade would add. Does STL have any cap dumps? I notice Blues fans don't seem to be very high on Lehtera, although from the stat line he seems decent (~40 point player). Would adding him + some kind of pick (2nd?) do anything? $4.7M cap hit

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Can Nash play RW?

Seen him on RW before so i'd assume it can be done.

In terms of the trade, it would probably require the Rangers retaining at least 2-2.8M per season.

My personal opinion is though if the Blues are actually looking to experience some post-season success, why go for a guy like Nash hasn't exactly lit the world on fire in the post-season?

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
See Shattenkirk, Kevin.

Really though, I dont see Nash being worth a lot next offseason.

How can you or anyone for that matter prognosticate about next off-season when the upcoming season hasn't even started yet?

Maybe Nash bounces back and scores 40 goals for all we know. Not saying it will happen, but to sit there and say this and that when the season hasn't started yet is ridiculous.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

In terms of the trade, it would probably require the Rangers retaining at least 2-2.8M per season.

My personal opinion is though if the Blues are actually looking to experience some post-season success, why go for a guy like Nash hasn't exactly lit the world on fire in the post-season?

exactly what I was thinking too

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
This.

Im curious on the calculus of Nash likely, potentially being worth more than Shattenkirk.
1. Nash has had injuries in two of the past 3 seasons, why are you so sure a bounce back year is likely to occur and another injury filled season is not?
2. He was 30 when he scored 42, he is 32 now and will be 33 when you trade him. How many players score more as a 33 year old as a 30 year old? Sure some do, but I wouldnt be placing money on it. Ask Carolina. Shattenkirk is 27 and has been as consistent as the come over the past 3 seasons.
3. Nash is due $7-someodd million, limiting the number of teams who can even afford him. Shattenkirk is due $4.25 this year.
4. They are both UFAs and would need to be in the right situation to re-sign with the team that trades for him. Dont see much advantage for either player's value there.

There is very little certainty in your scenario. But be my guest, bet big on a 32 year old scorer with a yuge contract.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA

This is the personal opinion of many Blues fans in fact so... cheers

This is the year through, I just know it :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad