Confirmed with Link: Kevin Hayes (50% Retained) Traded To St. Louis For 2024 6th Round Pick

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
I would say he's not as lazy and no heart after having two abdomen surgeries so close. He fought back the first time to play early... lazy and no heart gets paid and sits in the press box.

Most of the hate for the guy is because Fletcher paid him a FA contract and the cap then flattened which has f***ed most of the teams cap situations.

Look at the other deals today. Tell me that a goalie who can't stay healthy is worth a pick this draft but a 50 point player isn't with full retention.

If you have a boss you don't like, are you still working there if given an option to leave for the same salary elsewhere.
you make a good point, but his on ice performance before and after his injuries to me is practically the same.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I think most people are upset with why they felt "forced" to make a trash trade, not that the value of Hayes is so low. What would have been the harm in not trading him?

I think most people are upset with why they felt "forced" to make a trash trade, not that the value of Hayes is so low. What would have been the harm in not trading him?
I agree. Getting a guy like hayes at 3.5 mill is awesome. If it was at 7 it makes sense but at 3.5 woof.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
No, He didn't. He said Frost was up and down like a toilet seat, not the metaphor I would use, but not an insult either, and we're talking hockey players, not exactly the most PC or sensitive members of homo sapiens. It was an attempt to make a humerous reference to Frost's tendency to disappear for long stretches, consistency was something Frost and Tippett had to work on last season.
First of all, it's a simile not a metaphor.

Second, if I said you were being obtuse like a jackass, the nuance of "well I didn't technically call you a jackass, it's just a simile" rings pretty hollow. It's an incredibly pedantic argument that avoids the entire context of Torts "calling" Frost a toilet seat.

"I'm not calling you a toilet seat! I'm just comparing you to one" Great. Much better. Glad we pedantically arrived at this vastly improved station.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Hayes is a valuable player still, too.

No doubt Smith is better, but even in a desperate spot the Golden Knights probably still got better value than we did.

You’re showing the charts to the wrong person.

The eye test is above everything.

Hayes doesn’t back check, looks lost on the power play, looks lost inside a hockey rink.

Reactions: Lindberg

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Oh, come off the "all star" crap, we know that's even more BS than award voting.
Shall I dig up all the slamming of Hayes last year by the same fans who now complain Briere didn't pull a draft pick out of a hat.
Reilly Smith, a superior player who was on a Cup winning team last year, garnered all of a 3rd rd pick.
If the Flyers traded Hayes for Smith who would have knocked that deal? (on merit, ignoring the rebuild).
I can't look right now....how much did Vegas retain?

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Smith is clearly better, so the ceiling for Hayes was a 4th rd pick.

I'm not going to get upset over a 4th v 6th, like I said, that $3.5M can get you two veteran signings a year the next three years that can be flipped for mid round picks. Or be used to sweeten a trade, or to sign a young player early to a discount deal.

Same money for both deals, 2 years for Smith, 3 for Hayes.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I agree. Getting a guy like hayes at 3.5 mill is awesome. If it was at 7 it makes sense but at 3.5 woof.
Yup.

At full price....we own a 6th
At 1 mill retained....we get a 6th
At 2 mill retained....we get a 5th
At 3 mill retained....we get a 4th
At 3.5 mill retained....we get a 3rd

This kind of scale, most would understand. But instead:

Both teams are paying Hayes half
Only the Flyers are using a retention spot for 3 years
Flyers get a 6th in a draft next year
Only St.L adds a 50 point C
Only St.L can trade him in 2 years for more than they spent on him

It's very clear it was a bad deal for the Flyers. And with it being a BAD UFA class, teams could have circled back. Only 1 UFA who could move had more pts than Hayes....Domi.

Reactions: Jtown

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
It was a shit trade value wise, no doubt about it. And it also continues to show us that our GM isn't calling the shots. Briere probably should have waited to see if he could take advantage of a team that struck out in free agency, but my guess is Tortorella forced his hand

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It was a shit trade value wise, no doubt about it. And it also continues to show us that our GM isn't calling the shots. Briere probably should have waited to see if he could take advantage of a team that struck out in free agency, but my guess is Tortorella forced his hand
And what if no one is interested at that point?
Now you're stuck with $7M gambling you can move up from a 6th rd pick to a 4th rd pick.
Isn't that how we got stuck with JVR last year - difference is we'd be stuck with three years of Hayes.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Now you're stuck with $7M gambling you can move up from a 6th rd pick to a 4th rd pick.
Isn't that how we got stuck with JVR last year - difference is we'd be stuck with three years of Hayes.
Haven't you spent literal years telling us how easy contracts like Hayes retained and Fisto will be to move? What happened?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yup.

At full price....we own a 6th
At 1 mill retained....we get a 6th
At 2 mill retained....we get a 5th
At 3 mill retained....we get a 4th
At 3.5 mill retained....we get a 3rd

This kind of scale, most would understand. But instead:

Both teams are paying Hayes half
Only the Flyers are using a retention spot for 3 years
Flyers get a 6th in a draft next year
Only St.L adds a 50 point C
Only St.L can trade him in 2 years for more than they spent on him

It's very clear it was a bad deal for the Flyers. And with it being a BAD UFA class, teams could have circled back. Only 1 UFA who could move had more pts than Hayes....Domi.
This is so basic I'm surprised you haven't suggested the Blues could trade Hayes for Danault + now. :laugh:

And then forced him to draft the Russian with a 3 year contract. :sarcasm:

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
You're the one constantly saying there is no rush. Which there isn't

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Haven't you spent literal years telling us how easy contracts like Hayes retained and Fisto will be to move? What happened?
Risto will be easy to move next summer, if he continues to improve under Shaw. Physical RHDs are at a premium.

Over 30 year old scoring forwards have dropped in value, Smith is proof, you might rationalize Hall, but Smith is coming off a solid season, capped by 14 points in 24 PO games for the Cup winning team. Wheeler hasn't got a sniff on 1 year and 50% retained.
Smith, 2yr/$5M 3rd, Hall 2yr/$6M, 2 scrub D-men, Johansen, 2yr/$4M nothing, Hayes 3yr/$3.5M 6th rd.

The market is what it is. There are now 4 deals of over 30 scoring forwards the last few weeks, and Hayes is similar to the others.

I think there will be more demand at the TDL for one year contracts, b/c you have 60 games to determine if they're over the hill, and only need them to perform for 20 games and the POs. Which suggests even a good year by Atkinson won't make him a TDL commodity next season.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Risto will be easy to move next summer, if he continues to improve under Shaw. Physical RHDs are at a premium.

Over 30 year old scoring forwards have dropped in value, Smith is proof, you might rationalize Hall, but Smith is coming off a solid season, capped by 14 points in 24 PO games for the Cup winning team. Wheeler hasn't got a sniff on 1 year and 50% retained.
Smith, 2yr/$5M 3rd, Hall 2yr/$6M, 2 scrub D-men, Johansen, 2yr/$4M nothing, Hayes 3yr/$3.5M 6th rd.

The market is what it is. There are now 4 deals of over 30 scoring forwards the last few weeks, and Hayes is similar to the others.

I think there will be more demand at the TDL for one year contracts, b/c you have 60 games to determine if they're over the hill, and only need them to perform for 20 games and the POs. Which suggests even a good year by Atkinson won't make him a TDL commodity next season.

Nobody you've ever said is easy for move ends up being easy to move. Or the team just doesn't want to move them

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC

Mmmm, colour me skeptical, but I have a hard time believing Risto will be easy to move next summer if he improves when this nugget of wisdom is coming from the person who claimed Hayes at 4 mil was a bargain.

"The market is what it is, but next year for Risto? It won't be what it is, it'll be better."

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Mmmm, colour me skeptical, but I have a hard time believing Risto will be easy to move next summer if he improves when this nugget of wisdom is coming from the person who claimed Hayes at 4 mil was a bargain.

"The market is what it is, but next year for Risto? It won't be what it is, it'll be better."
The market for physical RHDs seems to have remained strong, especially at the TDL.
The market for over 30 scoring forwards seems to have cratered.
It is what it is.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
:lol:

It is what is is. Famous Fletch words.

Even last night as they wrapped up the draft coverage on SN, they asked Fletch about no trades. He said he was surprised and guys must have liked their guys. Said not good fir TV, but it us what it is.

Hope I never hear Fletch speak again. No need, since we have his parrot.
download (1).png

Reactions: Tripod

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Love the half truth Deadhead keeps spewing...

It's not a 6th

It's a 6th a year later

We all know those aren't the same value assets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad