Confirmed with Link: Kevin Hayes (50% Retained) Traded To St. Louis For 2024 6th Round Pick

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Watches the goalposts move on Hall/Hayes....

4th or 6th this year you don't hear half the screaming....It's a 2024 6th. I wish we had a chart to show values of picks in drafts and how that value changes in a further away draft.
Who cares? I mean Flyers got a 3rd for Braun, 4th for Brassard, 5th for MacEwen, etc. at the TDL.
They can get back the pick you think is owed them using the $3.5M each year to sign 2 veterans to 1 year deals and flipping them at the TDL.

If Hayes had a credible shot at a 2nd rd pick, that would be another matter, unfortunately, there is zero evidence anyone was interested in giving a top 100 pick even with 50% retained (and Torts doesn't matter, once Hayes is in play, if he was considered desirable at that salary, a bidding war would ensue).

This reminds me when I was told Ghost had real value, it took the end of his Arizona career to get a 3rd pick two years out at the TDL.
While it was stupid to pay a 2nd to dump his salary, it was also obvious that many people on this board live in fantasy land.
Now we're seeing this with Sanheim, we should get a 1st rd pick - well, someone has to value him (and his contract) that highly first.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If you don't believe management (the old guard) was sympathetic to the players then you don't know this team. Just look at the better coaches who got canned and then were successful after the Flyers.

Uh, you mean the players they've constantly scapegoated and hauled out while leaking smears to the media? Those players? Are you sure you're from this timeline? Because in this timeline, Flyers players are treated pretty shittily.

There is one common denominator for all coaches going back to Lavi and beginning when they panic-scrambled over Bryz failing: They were way, way more defensively-obsessed while here. They go elsewhere and lo and behold, the systems open up. Hell, they turned AV (who I don't believe had ever given any thought to defense before) into a safety-minded D-first coach. They finally just got the guy they've always wanted. It's a shame he's garbage, because Flyers management's entire approach to the sport is broken and they got a coach who thinks like them.

gto64dr

Jan 15, 2012
Uh, you mean the players they've constantly scapegoated and hauled out while leaking smears to the media? Those players? Are you sure you're from this timeline? Because in this timeline, Flyers players are treated pretty shittily.

There is one common denominator for all coaches going back to Lavi and beginning when they panic-scrambled over Bryz failing: They were way, way more defensively-obsessed while here. They go elsewhere and lo and behold, the systems open up. Hell, they turned AV (who I don't believe had ever given any thought to defense before) into a safety-minded D-first coach. They finally just got the guy they've always wanted. It's a shame he's garbage, because Flyers management's entire approach to the sport is broken and they got a coach who thinks like them.
We'll see.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Who cares? I mean Flyers got a 3rd for Braun, 4th for Brassard, 5th for MacEwen, etc. at the TDL.
They can get back the pick you think is owed them using the $3.5M each year to sign 2 veterans to 1 year deals and flipping them at the TDL.

If Hayes had a credible shot at a 2nd rd pick, that would be another matter, unfortunately, there is zero evidence anyone was interested in giving a top 100 pick even with 50% retained (and Torts doesn't matter, once Hayes is in play, if he was considered desirable at that salary, a bidding war would ensue).

This reminds me when I was told Ghost had real value, it took the end of his Arizona career to get a 3rd pick two years out at the TDL.
While it was stupid to pay a 2nd to dump his salary, it was also obvious that many people on this board live in fantasy land.
Now we're seeing this with Sanheim, we should get a 1st rd pick - well, someone has to value him (and his contract) that highly first.
So you don't understand an asset in this draft is worth more than an asset next draft no matter what year it is. That asset won't be recouped by signing a free agent after tonight or tomorrow aka this year's draft.

You are fixated the round of the pick... WE are fixated on it's NEXT year's draft which devalues the asset no matter what round it's in.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
So you don't understand an asset in this draft is worth more than an asset next draft no matter what year it is. That asset won't be recouped by signing a free agent after tonight or tomorrow aka this year's draft.

You are fixated the round of the pick... WE are fixated on it's NEXT year's draft which devalues the asset no matter what round it's in.
Acknowledging that would mean that the Giroux trade was not, in fact, the going rate for deadline deals so it'll never happen.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Has any head coach ever destroyed a all star player publicly? This is what he does. He called Frost a toilet seat cover for f*** sakes. Unless you are a specific type of player you likely will get into Torts doghouse quickly. Torts is a egotistical prick.
I for one want my coach calling 1st year full time players, toilet seat.

And to bench them in front of family and friends.

Builds character. Builds culture.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Once you get past the third round, who cares? The odds are so low that this year, next year, no one knows how deep any draft is in the 2nd hundred, because if they knew there were good players there, they'd go higher. Just nothing to fret over.

It's too bad there wasn't more of a market, but Torts had little to do with it, once the word is out that a player is available, if teams want him they'll start calling. And they'll value the player not off what Torts said, but what their scouts saw.

• Haha
Reactions: dragonoffrost

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Once you get past the third round, who cares? The odds are so low that this year, next year, no one knows how deep any draft is in the 2nd hundred, because if they knew there were good players there, they'd go higher. Just nothing to fret over.

It's too bad there wasn't more of a market, but Torts had little to do with it, once the word is out that a player is available, if teams want him they'll start calling. And they'll value the player not off what Torts said, but what their scouts saw.

When odds are bad you solve that by having more picks and increasing how many times you can try.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
people who are blaming torts for hayes trade value are inventing a narrative. Actual non flyers teams are capable of scouting players based on merit. Danny B must've been desperate and really did not do himself any favors.

Our cap space has to be used to acquire assets not gift top 6 centers away.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Be sure to pull your head out of their ass once in a while so you can catch your breath

people who are blaming torts for hayes trade value are inventing a narrative. Actual non flyers teams are capable of scouting players based on merit. Danny B must've been desperate and really did not do himself any favors.

Except it was hockey people" who named him an All Star 4 months ago.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Be sure to pull your head out of their ass once in a while so you can catch your breath

yes danny b traded away a 3.5 million dollar all star center away for a 6th round pick. Danny B chose that as a the proper compensation.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Oh, come off the "all star" crap, we know that's even more BS than award voting.
Shall I dig up all the slamming of Hayes last year by the same fans who now complain Briere didn't pull a draft pick out of a hat.
Reilly Smith, a superior player who was on a Cup winning team last year, garnered all of a 3rd rd pick.
If the Flyers traded Hayes for Smith who would have knocked that deal? (on merit, ignoring the rebuild).

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
yes danny b traded away a 3.5 million dollar all star center away for a 6th round pick. Danny B chose that as a the proper compensation.

He accepted that compensation and made the move instead of waiting to sell him for more to a team that struck out or disliked the market in FA. So yes. He did choose that.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Now that the dust has settled...

The good thing is Hayes is gone, we didn't have to add a sweetener, and we didnt have take back a bad contract. The return? Well it sucks, but this organization has no-one to blame but Tortorella for that. There was no reason for him to tank his value by talking shit about him to the media. It's fine to not like a player as a coach, but you don't have to take that out into the public and inevitably tank his value in a future trade because you have to satisfy your ego. That's not in the best interest of the team, but we all know Tortorella has never been about the team.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Has any head coach ever destroyed a all star player publicly? This is what he does. He called Frost a toilet seat cover for f*** sakes. Unless you are a specific type of player you likely will get into Torts doghouse quickly. Torts is a egotistical prick.
No, He didn't. He said Frost was up and down like a toilet seat, not the metaphor I would use, but not an insult either, and we're talking hockey players, not exactly the most PC or sensitive members of homo sapiens. It was an attempt to make a humerous reference to Frost's tendency to disappear for long stretches, consistency was something Frost and Tippett had to work on last season.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
No, He didn't. He said Frost was up and down like a toilet seat, not the metaphor I would use, but not an insult either, and we're talking hockey players, not exactly the most PC or sensitive members of homo sapiens. It was an attempt to make a humerous reference to Frost's tendency to disappear for long stretches, consistency was something Frost and Tippett had to work on last season.

It was an insult.

Reactions: Tripod

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC

I think most people are upset with why they felt "forced" to make a trash trade, not that the value of Hayes is so low. What would have been the harm in not trading him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad