Keon, Horton and Broda to be added to Legends Row.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
So with the 12th spot left open for a future legend to emerge in the next 10-20 yrs (or longer), that leaves one spot open for Wendl Clark, Doug Gilmour, Frank Mahovolich, Rick Vaive, Charlie Conacher, Bill Barilko or Conn Smythe...

Which will it be?

I have a hard time not seeing Wendl Clark as the last statue added.

Did they s ay it would be capped at 12? Why not Make it a full team. That way it would be a nice long stop, to take it all in.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
exactly, that's why people are excited.
there is no way if Keon was still anti-Leafs - would he allow a statue (in my opinion). like he didn't want to be honoured by the organization at all. He's been in leaf land like 3 times -

80th anniversary of being named Leafs
+ 2 cup 50th anniversaries.

being named a legend and added to the bench is a huge deal.
nothing about being a banner, but maybe that will happen so, and if not, i'd say being Statue'd is still a massive deal considering everything.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm glad & by no means am I begrudging people for their excitement. I just believe the banner being raised would mark the true healing of the rift between team and player. The statue is an incredible first step -- one which will hopefully lead to #14 finally hanging alongside the rest of the greats -- but a first step nonetheless.

ldnk

Apr 8, 2009
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm glad & by no means am I begrudging people for their excitement. I just believe the banner being raised would mark the true healing of the rift between team and player. The statue is an incredible first step -- one which will hopefully lead to #14 finally hanging alongside the rest of the greats -- but a first step nonetheless.

Damien Cox claiming that Shanahan promised that #14 would unofficially be off-limits moving forward to get Keon back in the fold. I think it's a gigantic pile of nonsense if that is what it takes to get the guy to show up around for fans to idolize him. You can retire numbers or continue to just honour them. Don't make stupid compromises to kiss the ass of a guy who wants to hold a life-long grudge. Keon isn't more deserving than Sittler or Sundin or Salming or Day/Kelly or Clancy/Horton, etc.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This is so much better honouring the great Davey Keon while he is still alive and able to attend and get his appreciations from the Fans then honouring post-mortem years down the road after he would be gone.

Shanny deserves a ton of credit for getting this done and bring the best Leaf of all time back into the fold where he belongs. :handclap:

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Damien Cox claiming that Shanahan promised that #14 would unofficially be off-limits moving forward to get Keon back in the fold. I think it's a gigantic pile of nonsense if that is what it takes to get the guy to show up around for fans to idolize him. You can retire numbers or continue to just honour them. Don't make stupid compromises to kiss the ass of a guy who wants to hold a life-long grudge. Keon isn't more deserving than Sittler or Sundin or Salming or Day/Kelly or Clancy/Horton, etc.

To be fair, most of those honoured numbers are not currently being used. I believe JVR is the only one wearing such a number (Salming's #21). Franson wore Hap Day's #4 last year, but no one is wearing it this year. Can it be a coincidence that so many of the current Leafs are wearing high numbers now? A few years ago, it seemed that only 13, 17 and 93 were off limits. Now, it's as if all the honoured numbers are off limits if you weren't already using it.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Lol, i won't guess how long you have been a Leaf fan, but if you don't think Keon had a reason to be bitter....you'd be wrong. Harold Ballard truly enjoyed ****ing over Leaf legends, the guy was a *****. How can i state this as fact? Because a very close family member worked for the team during that era. Keon, MacDonald, Sittler, Vaive, all guys disrespected by Ballard. The guy fired Roger Neilson....then hired him back (at the demand of the players) only to make him wear a bag over his head behind the bench for Christ sake.

I am thrilled that Keon is going to be there Saturday. Also congrats to the Broda/Horton families, all very deserving.

I am glad someone gets to say some behind the scenes stuff. How come I cannot? Because I could add to this fellow's very fine post. I could add a lot. Oh well, glad someone said it.

Heck my best friend growing up became the Leafs Gm under Ballard. Initials G.S.

Keon was the best skater in NHL history btw. Ever. If the guy had played with today's skates he would literally leave grooves in the ice.

I am a pretty good skater with modern skates, I tried a pair of skates from the Keon era and could barely stand up in them. They were like a paper bag with blades. No support whatsoever

Guys back then had to have feet and ankles like gorillas. Now you can have legs like a duck and skate.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
So happy to hear about Keon. Ever since I was a kid (born in the 90s tho) I binge watched old Leafs documentaries and videos, Keon was an amazing person, and he always stood out more then any Leaf great of recent memory, I respected him like no other. Really hope Leafs put out videos for each Leaf great, maybe a 5-10 mini-doc or even just a documentary on the Leafs teams of old, let the new generation remember what made this team so great.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Goals scored, Top 4 years as a Leaf

Mahovlich 48, 36, 33, 32
Keon 38,37, 32, 28

Career ppg avg as a Maple Leaf
Keon .817
Mahovlich .815

I love Keon and I give him an edge over Frank as well but saying the Big M doesn't hold a candle to him is, way out of line.

Mahovlich also went on to score 49 and 38 for the wings plus 43 and 38 for the Habs, 4 more years any of which, would have been career year totals for Keon. Although Keon edges out Mahovlich as a better Leaf, I think Mahovlich edges out Keon as the better NHL'r.

Confucious, you're absolutely right to praise the Big M. A heck of a hockey player and to have succeeded so well in Toronto during the time when Punch Imlach was doing his best to insult and denigrate Frank at every turn was one heck of an accomplishment. The treatment he received hurt him for years. However, Dave Keon was a Calder winner, a two time Lady Byng winner and the Conn Smythe winner. Also, one of the best two way centers of all time. I'll give the nod to DK as the better NHL'r, but admit my bias. Regardless, Frank was a class act and I believe ended up in the Senate (his only black mark as far as I know:sarcasm:)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Understandably he had problems with Ballard and I wish he didn't take it to the extremes of demanding 14 be retired, but I'll say from first hand experience he cares about his fans. I was at a hockey camp with his grandson at one point and Keon made sure to show up and sign for every single kid, for that I will always support him. And Keon is probably the leafs player most worthy of having his jersey retired for on ice accomplishments than any players we have had since the Kid Line, none of whom played an NHL game since WWII ended.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Confucious, you're absolutely right to praise the Big M. A heck of a hockey player and to have succeeded so well in Toronto during the time when Punch Imlach was doing his best to insult and denigrate Frank at every turn was one heck of an accomplishment. The treatment he received hurt him for years. However, Dave Keon was a Calder winner, a two time Lady Byng winner and the Conn Smythe winner. Also, one of the best two way centers of all time. I'll give the nod to DK as the better NHL'r, but admit my bias. Regardless, Frank was a class act and I believe ended up in the Senate (his only black mark as far as I know:sarcasm:)

Nice short article summing up Frank's Leaf career. At least today management and ownership don't get involved in running guys out of town, nowadays it's just the fans and media
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/24-7/greatest-maple-leafs-no-6-frank-Mahovlich

Mahovlich
Career games 1181 career points 1103 Reg season. Playoffs 137 games 118 points
Keon
Career games 1296 career points 986 Reg season. Playoffs 92 games 68 points.

As you know but maybe some of the younger fans don't. Frank also won the Calder, beating out some guy from Chicago named Hull.

Anyway, growing up The Big M was my favourite player and still is but Sittler came close. Maybe it was the number:sarcasm:

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I think Mahovlich deserves to be honoured as well, but if you are using a stat line to compare him and Keon, you really have no idea what kind of player Dave Keon was. He is arguably one of the greatest two-way hockey players in the history of the game. What he brought to the team went way beyond points.

I don't think they will exclude Mahovlich from legends row. To me he ranks for sure as one of the ten greatest Leafs of all-time. I would also love to see Conn Smythe, Charlie Conacher, King Clancy, Hap Day (as a player or coach), Busher Jackson and Joe Primeau added.

Last edited:

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
I taught Frank tennis in the summer. A few years after he retired. Nice man, really quiet , hardly said a word. Little hard to teach, some days he would wow you, other days, he couldn't keep the ball in the court.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nice short article summing up Frank's Leaf career. At least today management and ownership don't get involved in running guys out of town, nowadays it's just the fans and media
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/24-7/greatest-maple-leafs-no-6-frank-Mahovlich

Mahovlich
Career games 1181 career points 1103 Reg season. Playoffs 137 games 118 points
Keon
Career games 1296 career points 986 Reg season. Playoffs 92 games 68 points.

As you know but maybe some of the younger fans don't. Frank also won the Calder, beating out some guy from Chicago named Hull.

Anyway, growing up The Big M was my favourite player and still is but Sittler came close. Maybe it was the number:sarcasm:

Frankie is great and will be there eventually, however you stats are career based and this Stature ceremony is about their Leafs tenure.

Leaf Totals (regular season only)

Dave Keon .. 1062 games 365 games 493 assists 858 points
Frank Mahovlich .. 720 games 296 goals 301 assists 597 points

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I am glad someone gets to say some behind the scenes stuff. How come I cannot? Because I could add to this fellow's very fine post. I could add a lot. Oh well, glad someone said it.

Maybe because his didn't sound made up. And it's available in print in several books written about the Toronto Maple Leafs like these:

http://www.amazon.ca/Inside-Maple-Leaf-Gardens-Toronto/dp/0075498863

http://www.amazon.ca/Pal-Hal-uninhi...qid=1453477998&sr=1-1&keywords=harold+ballard

Keon was the best skater in NHL history btw. Ever. If the guy had played with today's skates he would literally leave grooves in the ice.

You mean like how any NHL ice surface looks after a period of hockey?

I am a pretty good skater with modern skates, I tried a pair of skates from the Keon era and could barely stand up in them. They were like a paper bag with blades. No support whatsoever

Guys back then had to have feet and ankles like gorillas. Now you can have legs like a duck and skate.

50 year old leather doesn't have the same properties it had when it was new. Although not as pretty as a modern skate, a new proper fitting leather skate had the same feel and performance as a modern skate. They were just heavier, they stretched, they absorbed moisture and they rotted.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Frankie is great and will be there eventually, however you stats are career based and this Stature ceremony is about their Leafs tenure.

Different players. Mahovlich was an offensive player. Keon was a two way center who matched up every night against the opposition's best center.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Looks like the Big M has a higher PPG and GPG as a Leaf. Good point, Mess; I agree, he should be honored first.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
From Sportsnet: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/dave-keon-ending-maple-leafs-exile-set-to-be-honoured/

He’s (Keon) finally had a change of heart.

With Shanahan in charge and Mike Babcock now behind the bench, there have subtly been more nods to the past showing up around the Leafs; Red Kelly, George Armstrong and Johnny Bower were given locker stalls in the team’s dressing room this season, for example. That’s a tradition Babcock borrowed from Detroit.

With huge plans afoot for the team’s centennial 2016-17 season, the past will soon be front and centre. Strengthening those ties is something Shanahan believes is critical to building the foundation for a better future.

And to properly do that, it was imperative he find a way to smooth things over with Keon.

There is arguably no other player who has worn the Leafs sweater with more distinction. After 40 years away, Keon is finally ready to be properly embraced by an organization that owes him just that.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Dave-Keon-2.jpg

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Oh I admitted earlier Keon has to be acknowledged the better Leaf. I only brought up the career NHL stats in reply to the guy who claimed Keon was the better NHL'er. Great to be a fan of a team with so much history, so many heroes. When Keon's statue is unveiled it will be the best day in a very long while for me as a Leaf fan.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Oh I admitted earlier Keon has to be acknowledged the better Leaf. I only brought up the career NHL stats in reply to the guy who claimed Keon was the better NHL'er. Great to be a fan of a team with so much history, so many heroes. When Keon's statue is unveiled it will be the best day in a very long while for me as a Leaf fan.

Personally I believe Frankie will be honoured (his jersey already hangs in the ACC), but because of restoring the past relationship the focus its really on making Davey a key priority. After that Mahovlich, Red Kelly, Charlie Conacher, Hap Day etc can all fall in place easily thereafter.

Ideally, Keon should have been the 1st player on Legends Row as he is seen by many as the greatest Maple Leaf of all time.

The Big M was my fathers favourite player as a Leaf fan and Keon came later on and became mine because I started out watching the Leafs because of Dad.

coachbob

Jan 11, 2004
ONTARIO
Visit site
Personally I believe Frankie will be honoured (his jersey already hangs in the ACC), but because of restoring the past relationship the focus its really on making Davey a key priority. After that Mahovlich, Red Kelly, Charlie Conacher, Hap Day etc can all fall in place easily thereafter.

Ideally, Keon should have been the 1st player on Legends Row as he is seen by many as the greatest Maple Leaf of all time.

The Big M was my fathers favourite player as a Leaf fan and Keon came later on and became mine because I started out watching the Leafs because of Dad.

Sorry I just don't dig the the Big M....stats aren't much different than Rick Vaive....we hardly hear a whisper of Vaive being honoured....or other comparables Ronnie Ellis, Bob Pulford.....the Big M was also not known as a leader.
Now that Keon, Horton and Broda are honoured to make it ten, lets turn the page and hope to see the likes of Marner, Nylander, Reilly be the next ones honoured.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad