Keon, Horton and Broda to be added to Legends Row.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
My parents brought me home for the hospital for the 1st time in my Leafs jumper with #14 on it. My mother still has it to this day as a keep sake. So I guess you can say I was born a Keon fan even before I knew it.

I think I might actually attempt to fly to Toronto and attend the Keon Ceremony in person. Just have to find out what Leaf game this statue and jersey honouring will be now.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
My parents brought me home for the hospital for the 1st time in my Leafs jumper with #14 on it. My mother still has it to this day as a keep sake. So I guess you can say I was born a Keon fan even before I knew it.

I think I might actually attempt to fly to Toronto and attend the Keon Ceremony in person. Just have to find out what Leaf game this statue and jersey honouring will be now.

Sounds like there is something happening this weekend:

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=798812

Keon and representatives from the Horton and Broda families will be honoured in a pre-game ceremony Saturday night as the latest Legends Row inductees are introduced to fans when the Maple Leafs play the Montreal Canadiens at Air Canada Centre.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I will cry tears of joy if this rumour actually comes true!

A big Thank You to Dave Keon for all the memories I have growing up watching my Leafs!

Please Mr. Keon, come home and be HONOURED!

Edit: I am ecstatic that this is no longer just a rumour!!!

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Shanahan can actually convince anyone to do anything....

This is amazing news.

He sure appears to be able to convince people to come into the fold as he is building something special.

Or in this case the famous line from Field of Dreams seems to apply... "Build it, and they will Come".

From the Sun:
The heart of the hard-working team that won four Stanley Cups in the 1960s before a long and often bitter feud with the club, has consented to a statue on Legends Row, to be joined by the late defenceman Tim Horton and goaltender Turk Broda later this year. All three are Hockey Hall of Famers.

Getting the 75-year-old Keon’s co-operation culminates a long behind-the-scenes effort by club president Brendan Shanahan to bring closure to an old wound in time for the franchise’s 100th anniversary in 2016-17.

Keon rebuffed attempts to have his No, 14 added to the list of ‘honoured’ numerals at the Gardens and ACC. But Shanahan, who incidentally wore 14 for many NHL teams, has been working to “strengthen the team’s connection to the past at the same time building for its future” said a club spokesman.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/01/2...fs-legends-row-with-tim-horton-and-turk-broda

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He sure appears to be able to convince people to come into the fold as he is building something special.

Or in this case the famous line from Field of Dreams seems to apply... "Build it, and they will Come".

It's fitting for the centennial season after the disappointment and embarrassment the organization has been over the last 40 years.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Turk Broda retired with his five Maple Leaf Stanley Cup rings, two Vezina Trophies, Calder and Memorial Cup championships (winning the Memorial Cup as both a player and a coach), and three All Star appearances in net. He and Bower both wore #1, which has been honored by the Leafs, and he was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1967. He played in 101 NHL playoff games alone - during the Original Six Era, no easy feat

His jersey hangs in the rafters at the ACC as an honoured player.

banner.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

Last edited:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Turk Broda retired with his five Maple Leaf Stanley Cup rings, two Vezina Trophies, Calder and Memorial Cup championships (winning the Memorial Cup as both a player and a coach), and three All Star appearances in net. He and Bower both wore #1, which has been honored by the Leafs, and he was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1967. He played in 101 NHL playoff games alone - during the Original Six Era, no easy feat

:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
How generous of Dave to allow those to worship.

Lol, i won't guess how long you have been a Leaf fan, but if you don't think Keon had a reason to be bitter....you'd be wrong. Harold Ballard truly enjoyed ****ing over Leaf legends, the guy was a *****. How can i state this as fact? Because a very close family member worked for the team during that era. Keon, MacDonald, Sittler, Vaive, all guys disrespected by Ballard. The guy fired Roger Neilson....then hired him back (at the demand of the players) only to make him wear a bag over his head behind the bench for Christ sake.

I am thrilled that Keon is going to be there Saturday. Also congrats to the Broda/Horton families, all very deserving.

soulie

Jan 9, 2008
I wasnt around when Keon was doing his thing with the Leafs, but can someone explain why this Keon-MapleLeafs drama exists? What happened? What was the history there?

-signed
Not-so-ancient-old-timer

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

I remember Broda's coaches freaking out over his eating habits!! (They actually suspended him until he dropped X amount of pounds):laugh:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I wasnt around when Keon was doing his thing with the Leafs, but can someone explain why this Keon-MapleLeafs drama exists? What happened? What was the history there?

-signed
Not-so-ancient-old-timer

I was there....Harold Ballard refused to sign him to a respectable contract in 1974. Ballard treating him like **** at the time.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Lol, i won't guess how long you have been a Leaf fan, but if you don't think Keon had a reason to be bitter....you'd be wrong. Harold Ballard truly enjoyed ****ing over Leaf legends, the guy was a *****. How can i state this as fact? Because a very close family member worked for the team during that era. Keon, MacDonald, Sittler, Vaive, all guys disrespected by Ballard. The guy fired Roger Neilson....then hired him back (at the demand of the players) only to make him wear a bag over his head behind the bench for Christ sake.

I am thrilled that Keon is going to be there Saturday. Also congrats to the Broda/Horton families, all very deserving.

Harold Ballard has been dead for 26 years.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Been a fan much longer than Ballard's been dead.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto

Lots of players had reason to be bitter, but they all came back years ago. Keon decided to hold a grudge much longer and wanted to be treated differently than his teammates (number retirement vs honouring).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad