Player Discussion: Kent Johnson - Winger or Center?

What is Kent Johnson’s most likely future Blue Jackets role in the next two years?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011
Primary assist on the Powerplay. Monsters down 2-1 now.
Made another pass earlier on the PP that Meyer should have converted.

Edit: KJ almost with a goal as he was stuffed right at the net by good goaltending stretch.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Thought he looked OK tonight. He looked far more willing to skate with the puck than he did in Columbus. But he still made mistakes with the puck.

Reactions: MoeBartoli and ViD

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Mercer is another young guy struggling, actually has 0 points on the year. Young guys struggling especially early in a season is not new or uncommon

Reactions: Monk

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Jasper Bratt is the perfect example of why not to give up on a guy, sometimes it just takes some time for it to all come together or it just takes being the right fit with another player.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
Jasper Bratt is the perfect example of why not to give up on a guy, sometimes it just takes some time for it to all come together or it just takes being the right fit with another player.

uh. I don’t know about this comparison/example.

bratt never really got off to slow starts his first two seasons.

his rookie year he had 10 points his first 10 games.

his sophomore year (second season) he had 13 points his first 17 games.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
uh. I don’t know about this comparison/example.

bratt never really got off to slow starts his first two seasons.

his rookie year he had 10 points his first 10 games.

his sophomore year (second season) he had 13 points his first 17 games.
It doesn't matter how you start if you can't maintain it over 70+ games, which is what takes players time to learn how to manage those highs and lows. Either way I just think we need to get him as engaged as possible and hopefully Cleveland will be a good spot for him to regain that confidence

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Why is this exact same quote not made about Sillinger?

You'd hope that Vincent would have said that a year ago when Sillinger was really bad and not even in NHL shape.

This year Silly has had some good games and some bad ones like a typical young player. I'd like him to go down to overcook on puck skills but it's at least arguable.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
You'd hope that Vincent would have said that a year ago when Sillinger was really bad and not even in NHL shape.

This year Silly has had some good games and some bad ones like a typical young player. I'd like him to go down to overcook on puck skills but it's at least arguable.
Yeah. Sillinger I’d say seems to be confident out there. You always see him talking to guys. He is better than last year, but damn- I would like to see him realize some more of his offensive potential. His hands have been absolute stone for 2 years now.

Reactions: majormajor

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

Agreed.

As I said - It's what they should have done with Sillinger (last year).

This year, I think Sillinger is at least strong enough to play in the bottom 6. His lack of speed is still an issue though. With Johnson, it's top-6 or nothing.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I was in Cleveland tonight to see the game. Johnson got stapled to the bench for the last 5 minutes or so after turning over the puck in the neutral zone on a power play that led to a short handed goal that gave Providence the lead.

Looks like Vogelhuber is being consistent with the message in the AHL. Johnson has shown the talent but he just doesn't win puck battles when he's physically challenged. He was flat outworked for that puck on the turnover.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I'd love to eventually be wrong about him but he was giving off serious Milano vibes when we drafted him and he hasn't gone much to shake that. I know he's a rink rat but he needs to focus on the physical side of the game and his compete level.

Reactions: DJA and Napoli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad