Keep the Vegas Pick?

Do you keep the pick?

• Total voters

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
I would move the pick if we could trade up and draft a Defenseman if we draft a guy like Wahlstrom with our 6th overall

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Package with some of the 2nds and 3rds and try to move up to get another top 15. Your chances of getting a good player is much higher in the top 15 than it is after #20.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I could see the Hawks drafting Kotkaniemei, he reminds me of Toews. That guy should be a climber as they start testing and dissecting mountains of film. Certainly helped himself with his U18 performance too.

I like Kotkaniemei and Hayton a lot as two-way centers in this draft.

I wouldn't describe Kotkaniemei as two-way center. His selling point is skill, IQ and vision, not his 200 foot game. I think he is pretty range bound to be honest. He might lock up 10 or 11, but there is still a pretty big gap between him and the forwards that will be taken at the top of the first. I still like him a lot as a player though.

I have a strong preference for Dellandrea over Hayton although they project as similar players.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I don't see the point in trading Mantha and a late first for something that MAYBE turns out as good as Mantha.

If I move Mantha +27th overall, I'm getting a proven defenseman.
Maybe a Dougie Hamilton or whatever.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
It would not surprise me if Holland packaged that Vegas pick along with our 6th overall pick for something like the Isles 11th, and 12th picks along with one, or both of their 2nd round picks.

I guarentee there is no trading of our 6th overall for that crap package. When has Holland ever traded a top 10 pick to get worse picks? Answer is never, because we have never had this high a pick with him at the helm. Only way we trade 6 and I firmly believe there is no trade being made, is too move higher up somehow. Also, no way do you give up a top 6 pick and then have to had another 1st rounder to it, to satisfy someone else for 11 and 12. If anything it would be 6 and 33 or lower for 11 and 12, and I greatly don't see this happening. Teams with the higher picks are in the drivers seat, not the team with lower multiple picks. You have to overpay to move into the top 6ish area, not equal pay, which is why we see very few trades involving the top end of any draft.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I guarentee there is no trading of our 6th overall for that crap package. When has Holland ever traded a top 10 pick to get worse picks? Answer is never, because we have never had this high a pick with him at the helm. Only way we trade 6 and I firmly believe there is no trade being made, is too move higher up somehow. Also, no way do you give up a top 6 pick and then have to had another 1st rounder to it, to satisfy someone else for 11 and 12. If anything it would be 6 and 33 or lower for 11 and 12, and I greatly don't see this happening. Teams with the higher picks are in the drivers seat, not the team with lower multiple picks. You have to overpay to move into the top 6ish area, not equal pay, which is why we see very few trades involving the top end of any draft.
Forgive my ignorance on the players, but is what's available at #6 that much better than #11?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Forgive my ignorance on the players, but is what's available at #6 that much better than #11?

Just listening to the Mckenzie's, Button's etc, and reading about the players, and the top 7-8 for sure are quite highly thought of, with what sounds like at least a noticeable drop off soon afterwards. Dahlin, then the 3 Wingers, according to McKenzie then a decent drop off to the 3 Defenders and then another smaller drop off after that. If we drop there to get 2 instead of 1, it needs to be for something other than 27 or whatever it ends up being.

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
If any suckers are willing to trade young D for Vegas 1st + AA + then I would be okay with that. Now that Carolina are drafting Svechnikov, I just don’t see any team desperate enough for offense to do it. Nashville?

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Just listening to the Mckenzie's, Button's etc, and reading about the players, and the top 7-8 for sure are quite highly thought of, with what sounds like at least a noticeable drop off soon afterwards. Dahlin, then the 3 Wingers, according to McKenzie then a decent drop off to the 3 Defenders and then another smaller drop off after that. If we drop there to get 2 instead of 1, it needs to be for something other than 27 or whatever it ends up being.
I wonder what the difference is (if any) between a high 20 something pick and #12?

I get what you're saying about the #6 pick overall - just that Holland is the type that might listen to offers.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If any suckers are willing to trade young D for Vegas 1st + AA + then I would be okay with that. Now that Carolina are drafting Svechnikov, I just don’t see any team desperate enough for offense to do it. Nashville?

Seeing how well Tatar has worked out so far, for VEG, will probably scare off anyone from wanting Nyquist or AA for anything of great value.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I wonder what the difference is (if any) between a high 20 something pick and #12?

I get what you're saying about the #6 pick overall - just that Holland is the type that might listen to offers.

I definitely agree about the 12-20 being probably quite close, but I would rather keep 6, and do something else to get another top 15 pick. I think Holland will listen, but I think trading down from 6, the offer would have to blow him away, for him to move down.

Reactions: jkutswings

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I would rather trade

Vegas 2018

Detroit 2nd

2 of Detroit's 3rds

plus maybe AA

for

10-15th and a decent D prospect.
That's a lot to give up if the prospect is only "decent". That kind of package should be enough to land a quality NHL player.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Seeing how well Tatar has worked out so far, for VEG, will probably scare off anyone from wanting Nyquist or AA for anything of great value.
Detroit traded away Smith, Kindl and that didn't turn out great either, slim chances that stops anyone from taking a chance on a 23 year old speedy 20+ goal winger.

But Tatar not working out in VEG is really weird, took me by surprise.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Keep the pick, use it on one of the Cs who will likely be available at the end of the first, or on a falling D. I can't imagine the scenario where you get anything even slightly valuable by trading it.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I’m in no way trading Mantha. We haven’t even seen his true ceiling yet, and his ceiling is enormous if he can just find consistency. Even if he doesn’t someone already mentioned he’s a 50P winger. That’s pretty solid. I believe he can be 30-30 guy, so I’m not packaging him and a lower pick for someone we choose who might be decent in awhile; That sentiment is correct imo.

David Pastranak was chosen at 25. There possibly could be a player for us available.

I keep the pick. If we can move it up, fine. But not with Mantha.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
I’m in no way trading Mantha. We haven’t even seen his true ceiling yet, and his ceiling is enormous if he can just find consistency. Even if he doesn’t someone already mentioned he’s a 50P winger. That’s pretty solid. I believe he can be 30-30 guy, so I’m not packaging him and a lower pick for someone we choose who might be decent in awhile; That sentiment is correct imo.

David Pastranak was chosen at 25. There possibly could be a player for us available.

I keep the pick. If we can move it up, fine. But not with Mantha.

Manthas biggest problem is the way they use him. He is not a net front guy, but they put him there because he is big bodied.

He is a sniper. Put him in spots that mirror Ovechkin and let him get some one timers on the power play.

I personally hope him and ras play together. Ras is a net front guy, mantha a shooter, just need a playmaker like z with them.

Reactions: jkutswings

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
That's a lot to give up if the prospect is only "decent". That kind of package should be enough to land a quality NHL player.
For a decent prospect and the ~10th pick? That’s basically trading a troubled player, some trash picks, a low first for two prospects, one decent and one that likely will be very very good.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

That's not bad if you've got targets at 11 and 12.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Or Jack Hughes.

Detroit picked 9th in 2017.
6th in 2018.
Let's keep the trend going, with a top 3 selection in 2019.

Next year should have some really good centers. Much better than this year.

Hughes, Turcotte, and Lavoie look like a strong group. They played great at the U18’s recently.

One of those kids along with Larkin and Rasmussen could give us a quality/deep center group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad