Keefes comments regarding Benoit after the game.....

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Liljegren and Edmundson both stink.

If Keefe is gonna take Benoit out for either of those two he's even dumber than I thought. Considering I think he's about as smart as a bag of hair that's saying a lot. If you gave Keefe a lobotomy it might actually make him smarter.

I know I wouldn't take anything he says too seriously.

He says a lot of dumb things. Big surprise, I know. It makes for some good entertainment at times.

But usually it just makes him look and sound like the pathetic grovelling buttkisser he is.

The product of an organization lacking accountability. They should just fire his ass now. Get someone who won't take every opportunity to deflect his shortcomings onto the players.

That includes keeping Liljegren in the lineup ahead of Benoit because reasons that don't make sense.
Agreed, Liljegren is nothing special even when he was playing "good" by everyone's standards he wasn't anything special. Hopefully he's gone at the draft.

I Don't think Edmundson is bad it was his first game for us and still getting used to everything and players etc. plus he was playing with Liljegren so I don't think that helped him at all. He needs to be paired with someone like Benoit or someone who play's a similar style as he does.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
If Keefe puts in Lilly over Benoit my support for his judgement will be gone. Benoit should be in from now on and through the playoffs.

Lilly will never be a playoff D Man this is the reality. He will continue to get run over and buckle under pressure. Maybe he needs a new start somewhere else, it happens that some players can't make top flight, serious NHL teams.

Figure out the left/righty stuff, Benoit needs to play in the playoffs. Whichever team they meet will work from the same playbook that has haunted this team. We finally have some heart and soul pickups. Use them. The NHL is a meritocracy not a government job.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
It's seems when he feels pressure from big opposing players he gets jittery and gives up the puck to soon.
I hope he can get it out of his mind.
The problem is the 2 teams we need to beat Boston and Florida have big forwards and apply a heavy forcheck.
I think in the summer he will be traded along with our 1st for a dman.
it was the problem last year at this moment of the year why he lost his spot, its the same thing this season.

When the game become harder with less space, less time, hes struggling.

Scratching Benoit in a Montreal Saturday game is a little Babcock like. Especially when Benoit’s quality of play hasn’t really been a glaring issue like other defensemen on the team at various times.

boosh and edmundson had to play to create chemistry... so for me the only whobwqs really ejectable wqs liljegren but because hes RHD, for me irs the only reason ehy he stay in line up

Reactions: horner

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
it was the problem last year at this moment of the year why he lost his spot, its the same thing this season.

When the game become harder with less space, less time, hes struggling.

boosh and edmundson had to play to create chemistry... so for me the only whobwqs really ejectable wqs liljegren but because hes RHD, for me irs the only reason ehy he stay in line up

Yeah that’s a tough one for me. If Liljegren had Benoit’s compete level and ability to fight for a job he would be an impact defenseman in the NHL. Love the darkhorse complete in Benoit that brought him here. Not that impressed by Lily’s sheltered first round pick upbringing, crisis of confidence stuff.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I don't get people who are upset about certain players coming out of the lineup, with our spot in standings almost all but guaranteed at this point I would think everyone should get games off down the stretch so were in prime positions for the playoffs and that includes the likes of Matthews/Nylander/Rielly Marner etc. the only real thing that needs to be decided upon is who our starter in game 1 will be.

Reactions: Mitch nylander

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
"We love the depth that Benoit has brought to us and his ability to come in, but Lily playing tonight was important and it is important for us to continue to work with him. Obviously, Benoit is going to keep the group hungry as are Giordano and Timmins as they continue to work their way back to health."

Was just thinking about it... and there are going to be some interesting stories if they come to pass

- Bolts: Sargachev not counting against the cap now with LTIR could be available Gm1 lol
- VGK; Same with Stone, Carrier
- Leafs: Same with Klingberg, Murray, Gio (if that comes to pass lol)
- Kings: Arvidsson, Grundstrom
- Rangers: Chytil

That was coached into him by the idiot coach.

Every mistake he makes is handled harsher than any other D player the last 3 years.

His confidence is shot because the Jr B coach doesn’t know how to develop D men (among many other things) and uses him as a whipping boy for his “authority”.

Seconded!

Reactions: BM14

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
anyone concerned about Keefes post game comments regarding Benoit? looks like he is the odd man out. Keefe doesn't want to hurt Lillys feelings/confidence apparently. Thoughts?
I've been concerned about him since he got here. Sometimes it feels like the bus is going towards a cliff with a donkey driving. Everyone on the bus is acting normal.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Another factor (not sure if it's been brought up already or not) is that if I'm not mistaken, Benoit is a pending UFA. Would have been so easy to just site Brodie and let Benoit play instead of leaving him with the memory of being benched for a game where he really wanted to play, and deserved to play.

Keefe is such a moron. That is all.

I thought Benoit was a pending RFA with arb rights.

EDIT: nevermind just checked capfriendly hup RFA with arb rights

Reactions: Gary Nylund

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
We haven’t signed Benoit either, this slight last night in front of his family and now being benched for no good reason, hope we don’t lose him as a result. He won’t be signing while he’s in the press box that’s for sure. One of the best stories this year derailed, doesn’t sit well at all.

I really wasn't sure what was the urgency to play Edmundson really. They had a break coming up anyway; where Edmundson could have gotten some practice before making his Leafs debut.

Benoit-McCabe pairing was a pretty good pairing for us. I wasnt happy it was broken up

Oh well.....

Reactions: horner

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Why do "Leafs fans" have such huge emo swings after a few bad or good games by individual player's or the team in general?

Last night's game is basically what the team looks like without Marner in the lineup and Tavares🎳 back at 2C... it's no wonder McMann was flying again with net positive linemates

Benoit will see action in the playoffs guaranteed 🎬

Hopefully Timmins will be over his mono and available for the playoffs as the Leafs Black Ace ♠️

If anyone HAS to be waived at some point it will be Noah Gregor

That's how we roll

:yo:

LMAO :laugh:

I'd say more since Rielly's return from suspension.
Funny you say that.

Before I make my comment I;d like to say I love Mo.

But since his return our D has gotten kinda wonky. When Mo was out the defense was pretty good IMO; including playing against some tough teams; we went streaking too during that time :laugh:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I really wasn't sure what was the urgency to play Edmundson really. They had a break coming up anyway; where Edmundson could have gotten some practice before making his Leafs debut.

Benoit-McCabe pairing was a pretty good pairing for us. I wasnt happy it was broken up

Oh well.....
And Lil didn't reward his coach for the confidence shown in him last night either really. Maybe a reset is better for him.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
And Lil didn't reward his coach for the confidence shown in him last night either really. Maybe a reset is better for him.

Lily had a rough game sure... But then he was paired with Edmundson without even one practice so.....

I am pretty sure we are gonna go 11-7 in the playoffs

What I'd like to see in that scenario

Jarkrok-Matthews-Nylander
Bert-Domi-Marner
Knies-Tavares-McMann
Dewar-Kampf-(double shift Marner/Nylander)

Rielly-Boosh
Benoit-McCabe
Brodie-Liljegren
Edmundson

With:

Edmindson-Brodie
Benoit McCabe

doing heavy PK duties.

But I am pretty sure Keefe is gonna PUSH the Brodie-McCabe pairing. He did the same last season. he rolled

McCabe-Brodie
Rielly-Schenn
Gio-Holl/Liljegren

Reactions: arso40

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
If Keefe puts in Lilly over Benoit my support for his judgement will be gone. Benoit should be in from now on and through the playoffs.

Lilly will never be a playoff D Man this is the reality. He will continue to get run over and buckle under pressure. Maybe he needs a new start somewhere else, it happens that some players can't make top flight, serious NHL teams.

Figure out the left/righty stuff, Benoit needs to play in the playoffs. Whichever team they meet will work from the same playbook that has haunted this team. We finally have some heart and soul pickups. Use them. The NHL is a meritocracy not a government job.

Agreed with everything here. One of Brodie or Liljegren should be sitting to start the playoffs

Reactions: Leafsfan74

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Agreed with everything here. One of Brodie or Liljegren should be sitting to start the playoffs
With our coach, Brodie, Lilly and Gio will likely all be starting Game 1 and when we go 0-3 in the first series then coach might figure things out (only if someone tells him) and changes are possibly made but by then it'll be too late.

Reactions: francis246

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
With our coach, Brodie, Lilly and Gio will likely all be starting Game 1 and when we go 0-3 in the first series then coach might figure things out (only if someone tells him) and changes are possibly made but by then it'll be too late.
Naw, Keefe can't be this thick. I don't care if some players are popular in the room and are nice guys, this franchise and its base is not only suffering they are mocked. Think about that. The fan base is mocked for their loyalty and it is not misplaced mockery.

Sports is a distraction, we want to at least not feel like fools. Give us some men who go into the trenches, we live vicariously through their effort and love of the sweater.

I recall 20 years ago...literally, 20 years ago. I went with some guys to a game in Montreal, Leafs of course lost. Wearing my Leaf Jersey I was in the urinal and I will never forget some guy yelling back as he left the washroom, "nineteen sixty seveeeen".

I just looked at my buddy as we were at the urinal and shrugged my shoulders, "we are in the lions den so it is fair game".

Imagine what punishment a Leaf fan in Montreal would take today, 20 years later! lol.

Bottom line, get it done. The interest in this team is waning and the owners must know this. I have no faith in this core, but crazier things have happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
Holy f*** Edmundson plays one game here and people want him in the press box already lol the guy played well last night. Lilejgren running around like a chicken with his head cut off, making soft ass plays, gets Man handled by midget Caufield along the boards lol 😂 ok guys. If anyone should be sitting it’s Brodie or Lilly not Edmundson

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
How a coach could sit Benoit after how he has helped save an extremely threadbare defense this season is.. crazy.

Benoit injected some simple stay-at-home and clear the front of the net defense into a team that needed it desperately and you should be rewarding a guy who comes to play like he does, not pulling him out.

He's a limited player for sure, but he plays within his limits which is something a lot of Leafs players could learn from to be effective and cut down on the dumb mistakes.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Would rather have a Benny/Ed combo than Lily. At least Benny/Ed aren't scared of getting hit.
Ed sucks balls and provides nothing other than size. The guy is legitimately one of the worst defensemen in the NHL by eye test and stats. He can’t start in the playoffs.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

If you play all 3 of Benoit, Edmunson and Lyubushkin you better be ready to see this team get hemmed in on loop when none of the defensemen can move the puck.

Rielly-Boosh
Benoit-McCabe
Brodie-Liljegren
Ed

Reactions: arso40

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad