WC: Kazakhstan 2022 roster talk

palsoft

Apr 11, 2004
Bratislava
www.hockey-live.sk
Final roster:

Goalies: Andrej A. Shutov ("Barys"), Sergei Kudryavtsev ("South Ural", city. Orsk), Ilya Rumyantsev ("Arlan")

Defensemen: Adil Beketayev, Samat Daniyar, Valeriy Orekhov, Yegor Shalapov (all - Barys), Jesse Blacker (Avtomobilist), Darren Dietz (CSKA), Leonid Metalnikov (Admiral), Viktor Svedberg (Avangard)

Forwards: Pavel Akolzin ("Metallurg"), Alikhan Asetov, Dmitriy Gurkov, Nikita Mikhailis, Yegor Petukhov, Kirill Savitskiy, Anton Sagadeev, Arkady Shestakov (all - "Barys"), Curtis Valk ("Avtomobilist"), Sayan Daniyar, Mikhail Rakhmanov (both- "Saryar ka"), Kirill Panyukov ("AK Bars"), Roman Starchenko, Dmitriy Shevchenko ("Avangard").

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I'm quite certain he is done being Kazakh. He reported when it was mandatory, and now that he is out of KHL he is done pretending to be interested in playing Kazakhstan.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Kazakhstan is the country most used to it, though. All their imports just treat their NT as a chore they signed up for.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
He's 37/38, unless they supply a hefty paycheque to play on the team he really can't be bothered. Also it's pretty sad he can still get on the roster at that age, I'm OK with a couple of younger imports to bring up the level of play for a fledgling nation but a guy at the very twilight of his career should have no business on this team and Kazakhstan would be better developing one of their own prospects.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
a guy at the very twilight of his career should have no business on this team and Kazakhstan would be better developing one of their own prospects.
I mean the guy is still one of the better forwards in DEL, really don't see this angle. If you want to "bring up the level of play" he is exactly the kind of guy you want to bring, not Yegor Petukhovs of the world.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
I meant he has no future, is not Kazakhstani in any sense for any meaningful or sentimental value and it'll essentially be a one-off, maybe another year max, and I doubt Kazakhstan has any serious ambitions of a QF placement nor are they in any danger of relegation so... what would he bring? When Lithuania or some other DivI country brings in a 40+ year old to play (that, as an added bonus, is actually from that country...), they are serious about promotion or avoiding relegation. What is Kazakhstan using a ringer for?

A younger naturalized, non-Kazakhstani guy in his 20s might make sense as they would be part of that team for years to come.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
There is no long term planning with these naturalizations. Kazakhstan simply tries to ice the best roster possible every year, and (shameless naturalization aside) I agree with this sentiment.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah if Kazakhs aren't thinking about QF I don't know what are they doing in this tournament at all. Especially in a group like this.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
If we are looking at Kazaks forwards and goalies, there is not really any super good imports. Defence thought, Blacker and Dietz are very good. And Svedberg is Chara.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Mikhailis, Panyukov, Valk and Starchenko are all legit KHL top-6 forwards so you split them into 2 lines, give a few pluggers chance to play with them, and reap the rewards. Overall, I feel the forward group is stronger than the defense, it's actually well balanced with players who fit their roles. Defense is just imports (2 of whom had really rough season) and the rest is kinda-garbage tier.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
2 blowouts against Latvia and now complete evaporation agaist Denmark. Frankly, kinda unexplainable. From QF hopes to relegation contender in 2 periods.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
9 goals on 31 shots is a little bit more than every 3 shot a goal. That doesn't speak for goalkeeping and defense.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Saw about 10 minutes of their game vs. Denmark, they simply weren't there mentally.

I have no idea what's going on within the team, but it might as well have been Romania playing instead of them.

If you look at the names on paper, this should have been a close game. Is there anyone from Kazakhstan here with some insight?

AKQJ

May 6, 2022
Turku
Looks like Kazakhstan is not ready for this year? Games against Latvia and a opener vs Denmark sound very alarming.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
The goalies were crap, but indeed looks like nobody really wants to be there. In general not surprising with such a mercenary squad, but usually they did perform ok once they reported for the team.

b0rn2beWild

Dec 8, 2011
What's up with Darren Dietz? Missed that first match which was the blowout against DEN. Playing today?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
What's up with Darren Dietz? Missed that first match which was the blowout against DEN. Playing today?
Well since he left Barys on bad terms I wouldn't be surprised he doesn't care about playing for Kazakhstan at all.

Kinda expected a loss against France today after the most recent turn of events, glad boys deliver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad