Kasperi Kapanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
The Patric Hornqvist comparison is my favorite so far. KK can skate and shoot and is responsible defensively, but his hands and hockey IQ are pretty average so he'll never be a playmaker who can drive a line on his own. I call players like that plug-and-play wingers, because they pretty much fit on any line as a complimentary piece to either a good playmaker or a good two-way center. And I think that type of player is quite valuable. Since they typically don't get top PP minutes, they end up not putting up big numbers and thus getting fairly economical contracts. Kulemin was that type of player.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
The Patric Hornqvist comparison is my favorite so far. KK can skate and shoot and is responsible defensively, but his hands and hockey IQ are pretty average so he'll never be a playmaker who can drive a line on his own. I call players like that plug-and-play wingers, because they pretty much fit on any line as a complimentary piece to either a good playmaker or a good two-way center. And I think that type of player is quite valuable. Since they typically don't get top PP minutes, they end up not putting up big numbers and thus getting fairly economical contracts. Kulemin was that type of player.

He really sounds and looks more like Kulemin every time I see him. Straight line, no non-sense winger who is a jack of all trades, but master of none.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
i believe kapanen's puck skills and shot will be better than kulemin, also has another gear when it comes to speed and kulemin could skate too...he wont be as physical but has makings of an impact defensive player

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I've learned not to get excited about Leafs prospects
Its just setting yourself up for disappointment

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I've learned not to get excited about Leafs prospects
Its just setting yourself up for disappointment

this is a rather ridiculous statement. The Leafs are currently one of the deepest and most talented teams in terms of prospects right now according to many rankings, this couldn't be said a few years back when it was mainly just Schenn and Kadri.

JimmyPower

Apr 25, 2007
this is a rather ridiculous statement. The Leafs are currently one of the deepest and most talented teams in terms of prospects right now according to many rankings, this couldn't be said a few years back when it was mainly just Schenn and Kadri.

How are we "so deep"?

Quantity, maybe. Quality, I don't see anything there that has star potential aside from Nylander and Marner. And even then, are we 100 percent sure?

Let's wait a couple more years into the rebuild, shall we

I liked Kapanen's last game. Hopefully we see more positives.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
How are we "so deep"?

Quantity, maybe. Quality, I don't see anything there that has star potential aside from Nylander and Marner. And even then, are we 100 percent sure?

Marner, Nylander- top line potential
Kapanen, Brown, Johnson- top 6 upside
Leivo, Leipsic, Gauthier, Soshnikov, some NCAA guys- top 9 upside
Rielly- already top four, could be solid top pairing guy
Dermott, Percy, Loov, Valiev- top 4 upside

This is not even mentioning:
Dzierkals, Timashov- excellent production in the Q so far (top 9 upside)
Bracco- holds NCAA assist record, that itself shows elite upside, but he's small and plays the perimeter
Dermott- #1 D on strong Erie team, not producing great points but playing good D
Nielsen, Desrocher- producing points and playing solid D (too early to tell)

You throw two 2016 1st's and the 10 other picks we have this coming draft and that is pretty solid.

JimmyPower

Apr 25, 2007
Marner, Nylander- top line potential
Kapanen, Brown, Johnson- top 6 upside
Leivo, Leipsic, Gauthier, Soshnikov, some NCAA guys- top 9 upside
Rielly- already top four, could be solid top pairing guy
Dermott, Percy, Loov, Valiev- top 4 upside

This is not even mentioning:
Dzierkals, Timashov- excellent production in the Q so far (top 9 upside)
Bracco- holds NCAA assist record, that itself shows elite upside, but he's small and plays the perimeter
Dermott- #1 D on strong Erie team, not producing great points but playing good D
Nielsen, Desrocher- producing points and playing solid D (too early to tell)

You throw two 2016 1st's and the 10 other picks we have this coming draft and that is pretty solid.

Yeah so basically what I said. Quantity but not quality.

Don't get me wrong. I love guys like Brown, Dermott and Bracco. But the only surefire things we have are Nylander and Marner. It's not enough. We still need a couple more forwards, a couple high end D and a high end goalie. That is still quite a bit.

I'm still excited and confident we can get it done with the current management group, but it's just not there yet. Way too early.

And for the record, I don't consider Rielly to be a prospect anymore.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario

Don't get me wrong. I love guys like Brown, Dermott and Bracco. But the only surefire things we have are Nylander and Marner. It's not enough. We still need a couple more forwards, a couple high end D and a high end goalie. That is still quite a bit.

I'm still excited and confident we can get it done with the current management group, but it's just not there yet. Way too early.

How many teams have more than 2-3 player with star player potential though?
Not many teams have the depth we have, we have many guys who turn out as solid NHL'ers

Raymoondo

Leafs Cup 2021
Apr 9, 2013
Toronto
How are we "so deep"?

What kind of team has more than two prospects that have star potential?

jjjshab

Jul 7, 2015
i believe kapanen's puck skills and shot will be better than kulemin, also has another gear when it comes to speed and kulemin could skate too...he wont be as physical but has makings of an impact defensive player

kuli has a pretty nice shot

USNTDP*

Mar 12, 2009
How are we "so deep"?

No one can be 100% sure about any prospect, kind of irrelevant question. You seem to think a prospect pool needs to be 10 deep in star power to be worth anything, yet I doubt many teams have more than 2 "star" potential players in their prospect pool...unless you are much more positive about prospects you are less experienced with than Leaf prospects.

Wait, so now the Leafs have multiple "superstar" prospects?

I don't think so!

That's not what he said though. He said "super star" instead of "star", the difference lays primarily in semantics. Not sure what the point of the word twisting is, doesn't really add anything.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

The term depth implies quality and quantity. The term defensive depth for the playoffs usually means a team stacks up with as many D men of as high quality they can find to make a playoff run.
There is also the justification of saying 'we have positional depth' or some such qualifier. But the sports definition of depth is "the strength of a team in its reserve of substitute players" so the more you have, the deeper you are.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Superstar, Star, Depth, whatever...we finally have some future players that are exciting to think about. That is what really matters to me.

We have some young, variations in talent with JVR, Rielly, Gardiner, Kadri, Harrington, Marincin, Corrado, Holland all with the big club and guys like Kapanen, Nylander, Marner, Brown, Dermott etc all developing.

Is there a Crosby, Doughty or Toews and Kane combo there? Very Doubtful, but there may be a Bergeron, Johnson, McDonagh, Hoffman, Plakanec, etc or maybe even better developing in the system. More than we have had in years, with more picks/prospects to come. We would all love to have a guaranteed Superstar, but even without a McDavid, Eichel or Ekblad...things still look very promising. Kapanen should become a pretty good NHLer. The more quality players we have developing, the more options available for the team and for trades.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Superstar, Star, Depth, whatever...we finally have some future players that are exciting to think about. That is what really matters to me.

We have some young, variations in talent with JVR, Rielly, Gardiner, Kadri, Harrington, Marincin, Corrado, Holland all with the big club and guys like Kapanen, Nylander, Marner, Brown, Dermott etc all developing.

Is there a Crosby, Doughty or Toews and Kane combo there? Very Doubtful, but there may be a Bergeron, Johnson, McDonagh, Hoffman, Plakanec, etc or maybe even better developing in the system. More than we have had in years, with more picks/prospects to come. We would all love to have a guaranteed Superstar, but even without a McDavid, Eichel or Ekblad...things still look very promising. Kapanen should become a pretty good NHLer. The more quality players we have developing, the more options available for the team and for trades.

Gone are the days of Ashton, Ross, Biggs and Devane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad