Prospect Info: Kasperi Kapanen | Winger | KalPa (Liiga) | 4/3: Assigned to Wilkes-Barre

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Those are the things we knew he could do from the start. The question is whether he is getting involved in battles and being more aggressive in his desire to get takeaways or continuing to shy away. Still, no denying the guy has ridiculous skills.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Those are the things we knew he could do from the start. The question is whether he is getting involved in battles and being more aggressive in his desire to get takeaways or continuing to shy away. Still, no denying the guy has ridiculous skills.

A few of us are talking about him in the WBS thread during the game if you want to join the conversation.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
http://blogs.citizensvoice.com/penguins/index.php/2015/04/08/penguins-3-lehigh-valley-0-48/

“If he’s here past Sunday’s game against Portland, I’ll be stunned,†Bombulie said. “Playing against the New York Rangers is obviously different than playing against the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, but he’s got that thing where the puck follows him around. I’m not saying he’ll definitely make an immediate impact in the NHL, but he might.â€

If only we could make the play-off ...

Sideline

May 23, 2004

You can definitely see the skill that made him a 1st round pick. The Phantoms game wasn't particularly physical; until I see Kap tested more on board play I'm reserving judgment.

Would be hilarious if they try Kapanen with Malkin before Perron.

He's got some aspects to his game that would suit Geno. He finds dead spots in coverage pretty well and has a laser shot that he let's go without hesitating.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I mean if they want to call him up and actually play him with Geno, then cool I guess. It'll mean Beau is out of the lineup, but they aren't willing to him a real chance anyway. I don't think it's smart to play Kap in the NHL playoffs, but this team clearly needs a spark if they get there and his speed, skill, and shot could help.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I mean if they want to call him up and actually play him with Geno, then cool I guess. It'll mean Beau is out of the lineup, but they aren't willing to him a real chance anyway. I don't think it's smart to play Kap in the NHL playoffs, but this team clearly needs a spark if they get there and his speed, skill, and shot could help.

The people that hate on Beau are going to burn Kap alive. Kapenan makes Bennett look like Hornqvist on the forecheck. Right now the best comparison I have would be Sykora before the wheels fell off, but without the years of NJD defensive awareness drilled into him.

Much like Pouliot I have every confidence that he can be a good player for a long time. They might just need another year to get there.

I'm guessing he was used on LW?
Yup.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The people that hate on Beau are going to burn Kap alive. Kapenan makes Bennett look like Hornqvist on the forecheck. Right now the best comparison I have would be Sykora before the wheels fell off, but without the years of NJD defensive awareness drilled into him.

Much like Pouliot I have every confidence that he can be a good player for a long time. They might just need another year to get there.

Oh for sure. I don't think it's a good idea to play Kapanen in the playoffs. This isn't like Kreider where he had an NHL body and was gritty. But, like I said, the Pens are desperate and they might do it. If they do, I won't complain too much due to his speed and skill level.

I hope Sundqvist gets over here and plays but don't know on timing of his season ending.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I hope they keep him in the AHL. No reason to bring him up into this mess and throw such huge expectations on his shoulders right in the midst of the NHL playoffs.

wtbipyo

Jun 24, 2010
It might wreck his shoulders though. The kid can't be more than a 190 soaking wet.

Why can't he come in and play? There are quite a number of NHL players that push 190. He's not going to Martin St Louis ... but I'll take someone that can skate and finish in the open space Sid and Geno create over a "wins battles on the wall."

Grinder - Playmaker - Sniper ... how would you guys stack the lines based on this lovely philosophy?

GFF

Mar 16, 2002
www.wrweb.co.uk
Why can't he come in and play? There are quite a number of NHL players that push 190.

Yes, but this one hasn't been crushed into the glass by a 230lb NHLer yet and to do it in the playoffs when you are going to increase hitting and intensity it's a risk I think!

Fedex26

Sep 22, 2009
If we win tonight. Call him up and let him play against Buffalo

We can't even call up a 6th defenseman to dress a full roster tonight, so I don't see how we could call up Kappy for the last game of the season.

Wolf Without a Howl

97% Mumps Free
Jan 25, 2013
I know MJ's practice lines usually don't mean anything, but if I recall correctly, the line rushes yesterday were:

Winnik-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Perron

I know this is reaching, a lot, but with the comments above saying they'd be shocked if he's in WBS past Sunday, I'm thinking this: What if Winnik is a placeholder for KK? I wonder if they want Kapanen alongside Sid in the PO's, they just obviously can't call him up yet for cap reasons. I also have no doubt he would be better than Winnik on Sid's line.

JWells16

Nov 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
I know MJ's practice lines usually don't mean anything, but if I recall correctly, the line rushes yesterday were:

Winnik-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Perron

I know this is reaching, a lot, but with the comments above saying they'd be shocked if he's in WBS past Sunday, I'm thinking this: What if Winnik is a placeholder for KK? I wonder if they want Kapanen alongside Sid in the PO's, they just obviously can't call him up yet for cap reasons. I also have no doubt he would be better than Winnik on Sid's line.

Winnik is an odd placeholder considering they play very different games and Winnik has played well.

Wolf Without a Howl

97% Mumps Free
Jan 25, 2013
Winnik is an odd placeholder considering they play very different games and Winnik has played well.

Yeah, obviously the bolded is true, I agree with you there. But I really have hated Winnik with Sid lol, and I think going into the playoffs with him in the top 6 is a terrible idea. Like easily as bad as going into the playoffs with an 18 year old that's never played in the NHL haha. Like I said, i know it was a stretch, just thinking out loud.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Yeah, obviously the bolded is true, I agree with you there. But I really have hated Winnik with Sid lol, and I think going into the playoffs with him in the top 6 is a terrible idea. Like easily as bad as going into the playoffs with an 18 year old that's never played in the NHL haha. Like I said, i know it was a stretch, just thinking out loud.

Kapanen is going to be a better fit with Geno, imo. He does his best work off the rush and finding dead spots in coverage. Sid's game is requires a guy that can play on the cycle and Kap isn't that guy right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad