Injury Report: Kasperi Kapanen back playing: March 2, 2017

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Could be a high ankle sprain by the looks of it.

He was likely the top Marlie for recall to the Leafs based on his season.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Could high ankle sprain by the looks of it.

He was likely the top Marlie for recall to the Leafs based on his season.

Looks like it. Buddy looked like he dove into his legs intentionally. The guy has a history as well and players like with a history of questional hits should just be thrown out of pro leagues based on reputation alone. Keep players honest.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Probably a sprain of some sort. Frustrating but hopefully he can come back in March and have a decent close to the season. I wish they clarified what it was though.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
This is exactly why goons are needed. If you can't punish dirty plays, you pound dirty players.

In the NHL there is no space to play otherwise useless players. If you can't play at an NHL level, your off to the AHL. Where it's free reign to play like moron.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Is it just me or would anyone else like to see this line on the Leafs at some point this season?

Leipsic-Nylander-Kapanen

Nylander and Kapanen have already shown chemistry together in their time up last year, and Leipsic and Kapanen are lighting up the AHL this year. Would be a line with speed, finish, and whole lot of hockey IQ.

Thoughts?

In the interim, hope for a speedy recovery for Kapanen. The kid has been lights out this year and deserves a very long look up with the big club as we fight for a playoff spot.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Damn, Kapanen was having a good year too, quite a bit better than last year.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Very disappointed. I was looking forward to him being called up at some point. Hopefully it will not impact his development long term, as he relies heavily on his agility to be effective.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Very disappointed. I was looking forward to him being called up at some point. Hopefully it will not impact his development long term, as he relies heavily on his agility to be effective.

Leafs may have been considering dealing JVR with Kapanen being recalled and his future replacement.

OldMilIce

Apr 30, 2015
Niagara, ON
Was there a suspension on that play? Looks disturbingly intentional.

I don't see it. Looks like the guy stumbled right as he was committing to the hit. Sure he's a dirty plug, but it would take more skill than he has to make it look so convincing if it was his true intent.

I'm getting more and more worried the longer it goes without hearing a definitive answer on what the issue is. As crazy as it sounds I was hoping for something like a broken leg, relatively quick recovery without much lasting damage. Seems like it was knee based though, and doing something to the ACL/MCL could be disastrous. Those things sometimes take longer to diagnose because of swelling, and are much harder to 100% recover from, especially when Kap is a speed and agility player.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
If its a high ankle sprain, I consider sitting him for the season. Those things take a while to heal, and it does not look like these Marlies will make the playoffs, so how many games would he come back for, 10-12?. No point of playing through it like Eichel is. Let it fully heal.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
I'm getting more and more worried the longer it goes without hearing a definitive answer on what the issue is. As crazy as it sounds I was hoping for something like a broken leg, relatively quick recovery without much lasting damage. Seems like it was knee based though, and doing something to the ACL/MCL could be disastrous. Those things sometimes take longer to diagnose because of swelling, and are much harder to 100% recover from, especially when Kap is a speed and agility player.

Agreed. Let's just hope for the best.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
I see knee also but lets remember we already averted almost total disaster when Andersen was injured over in Europe, that looked almost as bad as Kapanen.

So maybe we get lucky again? Dunno, we have been very lucky this season in all respects.

That leaves Leipsec, as one guy who could be a good callup. We need at least two so........... Lou??

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
After seeing what he did to Nielsen with that cheap shot in the scrum. It looks like kapenen had him beat on the outside going around the net and this loser goon goes low and make it look like he is falling, but it wa his only option to stop kapenen because of his speed

This^^^anybody that thinks that was an accident has clearly never played the game !

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I don't see it. Looks like the guy stumbled right as he was committing to the hit. Sure he's a dirty plug, but it would take more skill than he has to make it look so convincing if it was his true intent.

I'm getting more and more worried the longer it goes without hearing a definitive answer on what the issue is.
As crazy as it sounds I was hoping for something like a broken leg, relatively quick recovery without much lasting damage. Seems like it was knee based though, and doing something to the ACL/MCL could be disastrous. Those things sometimes take longer to diagnose because of swelling, and are much harder to 100% recover from, especially when Kap is a speed and agility player.

It's not as though Leafs feel a responsibility to be forthcoming to the media or public about injuries, but the rumour I've heard is they want to wait a few days to reassess things, but as it stands, sprained ankle with expected return around TDL.

Lets see if he works as hard as Brown did to return to playing action after his injury last year. Browns work ethic while injured impressed the Leafs brass.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
That looks totally intentional. Every league has idiots but the A has a surplus of them. Different injury but has shades of the Johnson concussion from last year.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Someone needs to rearrange Jake Dotchin's face. But he'll probably just go sign in the Western Conference next year so he doesn't have to play us again like that Albany plug who hurt Johnsson last year did.

take off the homerism glasses- both players were going fast to the puck, he leaned in to hit kapanen, but fell and ended up hitting his leg,causing kapanen to go legs first. it was a clean hit, sucks he got injured but it wasnt a malicious hit.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Time is on Kapanen's side, and with those ELCs of the big three up in three years it doesn't hurt to have him develop a little slower and get there a little later. Still have guys like Leipsic to work into the rotation for an audition. Take the time to recover fully and get back to work.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Is it just me or would anyone else like to see this line on the Leafs at some point this season?

Leipsic-Nylander-Kapanen

Nylander and Kapanen have already shown chemistry together in their time up last year, and Leipsic and Kapanen are lighting up the AHL this year. Would be a line with speed, finish, and whole lot of hockey IQ.

Thoughts?

In the interim, hope for a speedy recovery for Kapanen. The kid has been lights out this year and deserves a very long look up with the big club as we fight for a playoff spot.

Leafs are trying to make the playoffs this year. No need to "be nice" and give tryouts to Leipsic and Kapanen. And you want to put Nylander at centre with two rookies? Kiss the playoffs goodbye.
Leipsic, there are reasons he wasn't recalled earlier by the Leafs. He's not considered NHL material.
Look at the AHL scoring leaders...most of career AHLers without much hope of ever being significant NHL contributors.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Leafs are trying to make the playoffs this year. No need to "be nice" and give tryouts to Leipsic and Kapanen. And you want to put Nylander at centre with two rookies? Kiss the playoffs goodbye.
Leipsic, there are reasons he wasn't recalled earlier by the Leafs. He's not considered NHL material.
Look at the AHL scoring leaders...most of career AHLers without much hope of ever being significant NHL contributors.

Obviously this doesn't happen if the Leafs are in the playoffs or challenging to get in. I am saying if they fall out of contention, it would be an interesting line to see.

Obviously, Leipsic is the biggest question mark of the 3, but would like to see what we have in him when given the opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad