Rumor: Kaspars DaugaviņÅ¡ to Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Sounds great, team needs more Europeans anyway, doesn't hurt he played with Girgensons and is familiar with Nolan and his system. Should be a good character guy as well, non-glamourous player trying to get back in the league, that alone sets a good example for the kids coming in on nice contracts.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sounds great, team needs more Europeans anyway, doesn't hurt he played with Girgensons and is familiar with Nolan and his system. Should be a good character guy as well, non-glamourous player trying to get back in the league, that alone sets a good example for the kids coming in on nice contracts.

Not to mention his connection to Murray during his time in Ottawa.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Daugavins spoke glowingly about Nolan at the Olympics too. He talked about how Nolan was the first coach they've had who actually had them believing that they could compete with the upper echelon teams.

No question he would absolutely love to play for Nolan again IMO.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Jay Grossman, who represents Latvian forward Kaspars Daugavins, told me today his client wants back in the NHL and confirmed that the Sabres are amongst his options.

Daugavins has 18 goals and 44 points in 44 games with Geneve-Servette of the Swiss Elite League this season, and was a member of the Latvian Olympic team coached by Ted Nolan.

"He's having a great year and is looking at a return to the NHL. Time will tell," said Grossman.
http://kuklaskorner.com/tso/comments/sabres-latvian-forward-could-be-a-match

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I wanted Darcy to claim him at the end of last year off waivers but we all know Darcy didn't know what waivers were.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Anybody know what number he'll use, I want to get my jersey ready for his first game. Yeah, another AHL scrub level player for my Sabres!

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I count 48 contracts (with Klesla). Players signed to contracts who are playing in Juniors do not count towards the 50 contract limit.

50 contracts, but yes it's 48 that count. (Although not for the reason you state.)

http://www.capgeek.com/sabres/reserve-list/

Carrier and Zadorov do not count because neither has played 11 games in one season. Grigorenko still counts against the contract limit because he has.

(I goofed before, forgot about that rule. My bad.)

ZeroPT*

When would his team's playoffs finish? he would join Rochester I assume?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

Like I said before, I think if he's signed it's not until the offseason. If he were signed to an NHL deal for this year, he'd have go on waivers to play in the NHL. Even if he could be assigned to the AHL after clearing waivers, I believe he'd be ineligible for the AHL playoffs. If he signed an AHL deal for the remainder of the season, he would still be ineligible for the AHL playoffs and, furthermore, he would have to clear waivers in the AHL.

There just does not seem to be much of a reason to sign Daugavins for the rest of the season.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Sabres cannot unilaterally do that. Both the Sabres and Klesla must mutually agree to do so, then he must clear waivers before it can become official.

14. The Club may also terminate this SPC upon written notice to the Player (but only after obtaining Waivers from all other Clubs) if the Player shall at any time:
(a) fail, refuse, or neglect to obey the Club's rules governing training and conduct of Players, if such failure, refusal or neglect should constitute a material breach of this SPC.
(b) fail, refuse or neglect to render his services hereunder or in any other manner materially breach this SPC.
In the event of termination under Paragraph 14(a) or (b) the Player shall only be entitled to compensation due to him to the earlier of the date such notice is personally delivered to him or the date such notice is e-mailed to him.
In the event this SPC is terminated by the Club while the Player is "away" with the Club for the purpose of playing games the installment then falling due shall be paid on the first weekday after the return "home" of the Club.

I believe that refusing to report to the AHL falls under 14(b), and entitles the club to terminate his SPC (as happened with Omark).

As for why the Sabres have not terminated Klesla's SPC, there isn't any reason to do so as of now. He's not being paid, due to being suspended. Besides, it's possible (although unlikely) that he could change his mind and decide to report to Rochester.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca

There's no way he's going to sign for the remainder of this year. His playoffs in Switzerland are only starting (series tied 1-1 atm), and any NHL deal he signs will be a one way, otherwise there's no reason for him to leave Europe, so the Amerks are out of the question - he's also not going to give up more vacation time/rest and the World Championships to play for the Calder Cup. He's already won one and has nothing left to prove in the AHL. The Sabres season is what it is, so there's no point in them wasting more money at this point in time on this season, especially in a situation like this where they may lose the player to entry waivers anyhow.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Hmm this is an interesting move for the Sabres if they do capitalize on it. It couldn't hurt the Sabre's any more than where they are at now. However I wonder if Nolan sticks around? I haven't heard much about his contract and if Daugavins wants to come over here and play for Nolan he could very well not be here at the start of next season and I'm wondering if that would have an impact on this guys will to want to stick around and play.

I am a strong advocate for adding more veteran players to help shelter minutes for the kids and mentor them as they progress to an NHL level. What Darcy and Ron we're doing at the start of the season we're setting the kids up to fail and I think that is part of the problem in Edmonton with their rebuild.

This signing could not hurt and with Klesa leaving the NHL, there is room for another warm body.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Guy's an absolute train wreck. So much wasted potential.

He was brutal in the playoffs last year for us too.

Maybe and I hope he'll find success in Buffalo.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Bring him over and send Dags packin. We've all seen enough.

What exactly has Dags done to warrant this? Sure he's not a great goal scorer, but he's a solid player that has good wheels and is a decent to good forechecker. I'm not exactly sure what everyone expected of Dags when he was signed.

I must be missing something.

Anyway, back on topic...

I'm not against this type of move. I'm all for signing a guy that will play for the coach especially in a transition year

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Dags is the perfect player for us right now. Does hockey player type things with moderate success, and there is no risk he'll ever be good enough to have any effect on whether a game is won or lost.

Tank Passenger, 100%. We need those guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad