Karlsson's Season and Future Part II: E-Bay Watch Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Weird how such comment of Erik, a comment in the heat of moment with an undertone which only is misunderstood by reporters and dumb people here on HF, can become so overblown.

We shall be thankful he is not mediatrained and boring. Erik is a naive person and perhaps that is part of how he plays hockey, seing no obstacles and therefor never hesitates to try plays where others would go safe.

Who you callin' naive boy? EK's as smart and poised as they come. He just doesn't care for clichés.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
I bought a watch once from eBay.

Seller fraudulently listed the item as functioning, but when I got it, it was broke as broke can be. I ended up getting a refund, but it was a huge hassle and waste of my time.

... Buyer beware, I guess.

Thats why you deal with people who have high seller ratings.

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009
Lehner needs to fix his five hole. His catching hand is pretty wicked.

Karlsson is pretty versatile, how many dmen has he had as his partner? Kuba, Methot, Cowen, OEL, Edler. Kuba got a shiny new contract after playing with him, Methot got invited to training camp after playing with him, and Cowen took a great step forward this season when paired with him.

I think he's been caught out a little with the new stick regulations. Will likely take him a while to adjust.
http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/lehner-fuming-over-stick-rule-change

/wears a watch.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Karlsson -- immense talent, negative +/-

How can Eric Karlsson lead all D with 62 pts but -18 in plus minus? Is this simply the risk-reward trade off for his creative play (like Spezza)? Or is this a symptom of ineffective coaching/learning?

I don't remember Bobby Orr having a similar minus rating?!

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Spezza: -23
Michalek: -24

Anderson: .908%
Lehner: .907%

Those have been his most common teammates. Aside from playing with the 3rd line as well which is a combined -38.

Karlsson's plethora of minus came from the first half.

He was -18 since the first half(first 35-40 games) and +/- 0 since.

At that time, Spezza and Michalek as well as Anderson played their worst hockey of the their careers as well.

With that being said, Karlsson was also terrible to start the year and fully deserves it but he's still near the - range because this team hasn't done good enough to get his +/- back up.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
#1) He isn't the best defensively, so a lot of the blame goes on him too. He's definitely capable of being very good defensively, but I feel like it's the lack of trying.

#2) Have you seen the rest of the defense? It sucks. There's no support from anyone.

#3) Cowen is single-handidly responsible for half of the minus rating.

#4) Our goalies haven't played well.

#5) He plays 27-28 minutes a game on a team that is, overall, not good defensively.

During the Olympics, he wasn't on the ice for a goal against... in the ENTIRE tournament. Just think about that for a second. So clearly, it's the lack of effort + rest of the team (majority).

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Spezza: -23
Michalek: -24

Anderson: .908%
Lehner: .907%

Those have been his most common teammates. Aside from playing with the 3rd line as well which is a combined -38.

Karlsson's plethora of minus came from the first half.

He was -18 since the first half(first 35-40 games) and +/- 0 since.

At that time, Spezza and Michalek as well as Anderson played their worst hockey of the their careers as well.

With that being said, Karlsson was also terrible to start the year and fully deserves it but he's still near the - range because this team hasn't done good enough to get his +/- back up.

I get the team game. I guess it's encouraging that he's close to even for the last half of the season :p

Still, I question whether his defensive skills are improving!? Poor coaching?

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
He doesnt deserve the -18 for sure but lets not kid ourselves, he deserves some of the minus ratings. He had nights where defensively he was terrible, the ranger game comes to mind

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
I get the team game. I guess it's encouraging that he's close to even for the last half of the season :p

Still, I question whether his defensive skills are improving!? Poor coaching?

Yes his man on man defense has improved but he has to be more aware of his man when they vdont have the puck, be more agressive along the boards, read plays better, cover passing lanes, few times this year where he was the only man back on 2 on 1 and he played so terribly much like cowen. His defense and ability to read plays are still not where they at compared to early last season bcuz tht karlsson was at least top 5 player

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I see him getting out muscled when player drive the puck into him. I also see what looks like disinterest at times. Maybe its just we expect him to do amazing plays all the time but he doesnt have the motor to

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
+/- should be taken not just with a grain, but a few kilograms of salt. It can be incredibly misleading. While Karlsson has struggled in his own end this year, his +/- makes it seem far worse than it is. Also take into account many players on bad teams will have mediocre +/-'s. And as several other posters have noted, much of his minuses came from the first half of the year, when it was clear he was still recovering from his sliced achilles.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Karlsson has had a ton of games this year where he was the best defensive player on the Sens.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The first 30 games or so he was super crap and deserved most of the minus he got, but then he turned it around. So yes he got better and yes he will get better

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Btw, to everyone saying Karlsson mailed in the games defensively and he looks disinterested.

I observed many of his games closely and watched games from last year and 2 years ago.

If i'm not mistaken in my observations, Karlsson is struggling beyond words in his skating this year. Especially in: pivots, turning, stopping, backward skating.

Whenever someone would dump the puck in on his side, he'd let Methot get him and he'd defend whoever drives to the net cause he doesn't want to pivot and risk getting cleanly beat which was reoccuring theme early on this year when he did try to challenge the dump in.

Man, it's a troublesome thought if his skating doesn't return back to normal. I think because Karlsson is all-world offensively, we aren't seeing just how much he still is struggling to get his comfort zone back.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Btw, to everyone saying Karlsson mailed in the games defensively and he looks disinterested.

I observed many of his games closely and watched games from last year and 2 years ago.

If i'm not mistaken in my observations, Karlsson is struggling beyond words in his skating this year. Especially in: pivots, turning, stopping, backward skating.

Whenever someone would dump the puck in on his side, he'd let Methot get him and he'd defend whoever drives to the net cause he doesn't want to pivot and risk getting cleanly beat which was reoccuring theme early on this year when he did try to challenge the dump in.

Man, it's a troublesome thought if his skating doesn't return back to normal. I think because Karlsson is all-world offensively, we aren't seeing just how much he still is struggling to get his comfort zone back.

Interesting observation. I will watch for this...

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Very true. His skating isn't 100%. He definitely needs the summer off to work on his strength.

I do think, since about the Olympic break, he hasn't been giving 100% effort. He hasn't been slacking as much as some other guys, but he definitely doesn't have his head totally in the game.

One thing, however, that hasn't been mentioned yet, is his shift time. Yes, his ice time is high, but there are times when he's taking 2+ minute shifts! That is insane! No one should be over a minute unless you're badly hemmed in your own zone. I don't know if it's poor coaching, or Erik going rogue on this one. Either way, shift time is the biggest thing he needs to fix right now.

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011
His on-ice sv% is .905.. got aboslutely no help from Anderson at the beginning of the season (plus his skating wasn't quite back for the first 15 games or so). Doesn't help that Cowen has been his partner most of the year lol.

Mar 17, 2014
Since Alfie left, Karlsson has turned into a Kovalevish player. Extremely talented but rarely play with passion. And he still leads all defencemen in points. Imagine if we could find a coach and/or player/captain who can put him in his Place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad