Pre-Game Talk: Karlsson's last home game? April fools?? vs Winnipeg, Mon. 7:30 pm on TSN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreakyBunny

Sep 4, 2006
Ottawa
Right now it's Schroedinger's puck. He picked it up because he knew he was leaving, or might be leaving, or it was for someone else, or for a host of other reasons. He looked up because he taking one last moment to take it all in, someone called hi name, or a host of other reasons. I wouldn't blame him if he left, but I would be happy if he stayed.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Ah crud, went right over my head lol

It can obviously both be correct. We can both be hearing things from people that are different but still credible.

I'm willing to bet you aren't ready to lay your paycheque out on a trade and I'm not willing to that he stays. Too much can change day to day

Reactions: DJB

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It can obviously both be correct. We can both be hearing things from people that are different but still credible.

I'm willing to bet you aren't ready to lay your paycheque out on a trade and I'm not willing to that he stays. Too much can change day to day
what have you heard Lew

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
what have you heard Lew

After trade deadline debacle they were committed to extending him because the fan base ( especially STH base) was apoplectic.

How he feels about staying , how he feels after his personal tragedy, how getting Dahlin (or not) would affect things along with what trade offers come in are all the X factors.

Groundbreaking and wishy washy i know.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
A collective conscience? Interesting theory

After what was probably EK's last home game, we now sit with a negative 65 goal differential.

-65. It's a sign. Bye Karlsson. I love you and will miss you

Him grabbing the puck definitely means there is uncertainty that he is coming back or he's as good as gone

so why did he grab it?

lol how are people still this blinded

"I was down there and I saw it was in the net so I just picked it up and decided to keep it. I haven't [thought about the final home game] until now, I'm a social guy, I read a lot of things and I'm not reading too much into it, but obviously the word is out there from [the media]. It's not something I've thought about going into this game and it's not something I'm going to think about for a while."
Karlsson told reporters after the game.

Attendance: 17,122 (92.6% full)​

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
"I was down there and I saw it was in the net so I just picked it up and decided to keep it. I haven't [thought about the final home game] until now, I'm a social guy, I read a lot of things and I'm not reading too much into it, but obviously the word is out there from [the media]. It's not something I've thought about going into this game and it's not something I'm going to think about for a while."

I read that quote, and it changes nothing in my original post about the issue

Reactions: branch

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
This is not believable. I give EK props for trying to soothe the waters and downplay it, but nobody in their right mind would believe that Karlsson grabbed a souvenir puck from another routine game that just so happened to be the final home game of the season.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Honestly, he likely grabbed it because he doesn't know what's going to happen. Maybe he gets traded and doesn't get a chance to make a decision one way or the other, maybe he sticks around, maybe he forces his way out, we don't know. Grabbing the puck means that if something that is out of his hands happens, he still has a souvenir for his time here, and if everything passes over and he ends up staying, no big deal, he can sell it on ebay or something.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think he's mentally done here. Don't know if Dorion will be able to make a trade happen this summer but I think he's checked out as a Senator.

Hard to say he's checked out as a Sen. The whole team has checked out since before the deadline, the season's been a writeoff since December. How do you distinguish one form of checked out from another.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Honestly, he likely grabbed it because he doesn't know what's going to happen. Maybe he gets traded and doesn't get a chance to make a decision one way or the other, maybe he sticks around, maybe he forces his way out, we don't know. Grabbing the puck means that if something that is out of his hands happens, he still has a souvenir for his time here, and if everything passes over and he ends up staying, no big deal, he can sell it on ebay or something.

Let me suggest something, and then you can post your usual rebuttal to dismiss it.

PD has clearly stated that he will offer EK65 an extension on July First, and that to most people, means that EK65 will not be traded before being offered that extension. ( other people will decide that PD is lying and EK will be traded before July First)

Perhaps picking up the puck, and all the speculation about why, that is swirling around the media, social media, the local newspapers and TSN1200 lets EK65 put a little pressure on PD to give him a decent fair market value extension offer on July First, and subtlety sending a message that he's prepared to be traded if it comes to that.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I’m almost checked out as a fan of the Senators, imagine being EK and giving what you have to this franchise, representing them always with class and elite play, doing what you did last year and having management give you the message they are more likely to trade you.

If I’m EK, I’d want out to. Just to go somewhere where the owner appreciates me and my talents

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I think he's mentally done here. Don't know if Dorion will be able to make a trade happen this summer but I think he's checked out as a Senator.

Yeah, it's not like something traumatic has happened in his life recently... Come on.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Let me suggest something, and then you can post your usual rebuttal to dismiss it.

PD has clearly stated that he will offer EK65 an extension on July First, and that to most people, means that EK65 will not be traded before being offered that extension. ( other people will decide that PD is lying and EK will be traded before July First)

Perhaps picking up the puck, and all the speculation about why, that is swirling around the media, social media, the local newspapers and TSN1200 lets EK65 put a little pressure on PD to give him a decent fair market value extension offer on July First, and subtlety sending a message that he's prepared to be traded if it comes to that.

Lots of GMs have said they will do one thing only to one or two weeks later do the opposite, so I'm really not sure why you'd fixate on his public statements. They may represent his intent today, and not tomorrow, who knows.

Having said that, yes, it's possible that Karlsson is playing 3D Chess and picked up the puck as a negotiation tactic, though that doesn't really change my suggestion that his actions were in part because he doesn't know what will happen and therefore wanted a souvenir just in case. At the end of the day, Karlsson does not hold full control over the situation and his actions now may reflect that; that's the only point I was making.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Lots of GMs have said they will do one thing only to one or two weeks later do the opposite, so I'm really not sure why you'd fixate on his public statements. They may represent his intent today, and not tomorrow, who knows.

Having said that, yes, it's possible that Karlsson is playing 3D Chess and picked up the puck as a negotiation tactic, though that doesn't really change my suggestion that his actions were in part because he doesn't know what will happen and therefore wanted a souvenir just in case. At the end of the day, Karlsson does not hold full control over the situation and his actions now may reflect that; that's the only point I was making.

I think he has more control than most people think.

There is a huge unsubstantiated rumour, that the Owner and EK65 don't like each other, or don't want to work together, or something along those lines. And for the people that believe that, they assume the owner wants EK65 shipped out of town no matter what.

I choose not to believe unsubstantiated rumours.

PD stated publicly that he's offering EK65 an extension on July 1st, and I am going to take him at his word.

If he breaks his word, and trades EK65, the fallout would ginormous, and perhaps incite the fan-base beyond anything we've seen or imagined.

Why would PD risk that, he's not stupid?

EK65 will choose what to do with the offer, on July 1st, and if negotiations do not result in a signing, then it's as much his choice as anyone's as he publicly steed his desire to remain in Ottawa.

Picking up the puck gives him just a little leverage in the matter imo.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Nothing against Erik, but I don't think he has the smarts for "3D chess." If he did, he wouldn't have taken the bait from Doughty back in the fall.

These guys are hockey players, not politicians or corporate CEOs.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I believe this to be the most likely scenario.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad